Toxic plants for Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptbunny8087

Reaction score
A large list of natural toxic things for rabbits.

Agave (leaves)
Amaryllis (bulbs)
Apple (seeds)
Azalea
Bird of Paradise (seeds)
Bloodroot
Buttercup (leaves)
Black Locust (seeds)
Boxwood (leaves/twigs)
Buckeye (seeds)
Buckthorn (berries)
Caladium
Calla (rhizome)
Castor Bean (seed)
Christmas Rose
Cone Flower
Crown of Thorns
Daffodil
Daphne
Delphinium

Dumbcane (Dieffenbachia)
Eggplant (plant)
Elderberry (unripe berries)
Elephant Ear
Foxglove
Holly (berries)
Horsechestnut (nuts)
Hyacinth
Iris
Ivy, Boston & English
Jack-in-the-Pulpit
Jerusalem Cherry
Jimson Weed
Jonquil
Lantana
Larkspur
Lily-of-the-Valley
Lupine
Mayapple

Mistletoe (berries)
Morning Glory (seeds)
Mustard (root)
Narcissus
Nicotiana
Nightshade
Oleander
Philodendron
Poison Hemlock
Poison Ivy

Potato (green)
Privet (berries)
Ranunculus
Rhododendron

Rhubarb (leaf blade)
Rosary Pea (seed)
Snow-on-the-Mountain :popcorn:
Sweet Pea (seeds)
Sweet Potato
Skunk Cabbage
Tansy

Tomato (leaves)
Tulip
Virginia Creeper (berries)
Water Hemlock
Wisteria (seeds/pods)
Yew (berries)

Not a bad list, but it lacks the Latin names needed for positive identification. Could you please post the source, if it is not a list you have compiled from your own experience.

If by buckthorn they mean Rhamnus cathartica then it should be noted that the whole bush is toxic. The bark is a powerful cathartic and was at one time used medicinally, but it is not a safe choice.

Any scientific data on this?
Joking.
I have learned that Natural Rabbits have a genetic memory and know what is toxic and what is not.
The classification should be split in toxic and poisonous.
Many of the plants in the list are powerful medicinal plants for humans.
Reading your list I see Aesculus hippocastanum (horse chestnuts) and as a child I was picking them by the bag to feed the rabbits in the winter and the rabbits never died. Looking for some data all I can find is this.
"The nuts, especially those that are young and fresh, are slightly poisonous,"
"Some mammals, notably deer, are able to break down the toxins and eat them safely". In Europe is a very popular tree on the major boulevards and parks and the flowers produce some good honey.

Andrei":1sf6tlx7 said:
I have learned that Natural Rabbits have a genetic memory and know what is toxic and what is not.

Wild rabbits can move on the next patch of green.

Rabbits confined to a cage or run are equivalent to a castaway in a lifeboat who drinks saltwater or their own urine to quench their thirst even though they know it will only make matters worse.

Very true.
But observe them.
PS. Human in space drink water from their urine today.<br /><br />__________ Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:03 am __________<br /><br />I feed my rabbits Ipomoea batatas (yams) every opportunity and they enjoy it tremendously.

You are right, Leanne. I scanned down the list and my eye must have slid right over the sweet potato. No idea why it is there... Lots of members feed sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) to the buns, either the greens or the tuber itself.

Not your fault, Ptbunny, so please do not think I was criticizing you. I'd say 90% of the lists on the Internet do not bother to post the Latin names as well as the common names.

I remember one case where a person was all set to feed teasels (Dipsacus spp.) after someone recommended cattails as a rabbit food source without giving the Latin name (Typha spp.) Fortunately she chanced to mention the spines and upon enquiry we found out that her local name for teasels was cattails. You just can't trust common names.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipsacus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typha_latifolia

Back