tomato plants and rhubarb...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First, let me start with a disclaimer: do not do this "experiment" at home! The following situations were a result of carelessness, and buns could have been hurt or died or eaten by predators when they were meandering about. I am setting out the information about plants that were consumed because it challenges what I had learned and practiced, and I am curious. But please do not take it as advice.

I have had a few escapees this summer who have been able to pillage my yard and garden. The amount of time where he/she has been running around and had free access to whatever the bun felt like eating has ranged from one day to two weeks, in one instance. While this has been frustrating and worrisome, it has given me the chance to observe what my little motley herd would gravitate towards. They loved beans and would eat them to the ground. They ignored the squash, pumpkins and cucumbers. Inhaled the herbs--basil, oregano, dill, cilantro. Ate various and sundry weeds and grass, but ignored the blueberry plants. But my biggest surprises: they ate select tomato plants--one escapee ate the plant stem to the ground, then dug it up looking for more-- and they also nibbled on a pepper plant. They also ate my rhubarb. The first bun that ate the rhubarb, I caught immediately and watched for a few weeks to see if there would be any systemic problems. Nothing. Subsequent escapees also gravitated right to the rhubarb to the point where one of my plants is a few nubs struggling to grow back.

I have no intent of feeding them the tomatoes or rhubarb, but it did make me think, since a few different rabbits were enticed by the same foods at different times. Unfortunately I don't know which varieties of tomatos it was that they ate with such gusto. I believe it may have included some cherry tomatoes. They ignored my Cherokee purples. I only have two rhubarb plants, and one was new. Rhubarb can be hard to grow in the south so it doesn't get huge (at least for me.) I had harvested the biggest growth this spring, so all stalks were young and tender. Less concentrated toxins?

I wonder if the tomato variety had less whatever-it-is that normally makes tomatoes toxic, where the heirloom may have had more and was ignored. I also wonder, since my rabbits are on a grain and gathered forage diet, if their bodies have acclimated to certain compounds that normally they would have problems with. Mine have been on grain/gathered foods for a couple years, so one of the buns that got out was the third or fourth generation that was pellet free. Likewise I wonder if there is something they may be deficient in that would normally be added to pellets, and that is why they were so attracted to the rhubarb? I believe both rhubarb & tomatoes are high in vitamin C...would that have any role in it? It could be having access to raspberry and blackberry leaves, wild strawberry, and herbs would help them self-medicate any issues with the tomato or rhubarb, whereas if I gave it to them in their cage they'd have just the "dangerous" plant to munch on. Finally, my herd are meat mutts, and have been for generations going back. While this means they may not be the standard of rabbit perfection, one plus is my buns have iron stomaches and have weathered A LOT of mistakes on my part that should have caused huge problems. So it may be just luck/mutt genetics that resulted in no problems.
Anyone have any experiences or thoughts about this?

i know there's a gal who regularly feeds her rabbits YOUNG tomatoes plants (basically the ones she's weaning out of her garden) and I"ve had success doing so as well. Peppers and ground cherries don't work though... they make a rabbit ill.

the rhubarb.. haven't a clue on. :)

Heirloom gardener here. I have not tried the tomatoes (Brandywine, Marion and Beefsteak) or peppers (jalapeno and albino bull nose bell peppers), but my crew have the following reactions:

bean plant leaves (Landreth stringless), herbs (basil, parsley, mint, oregano, rosemary, cilantro), corn stalk leaves (Thompson prolific and Cherokee White Eagle), carrot tops (Cosmic Purple- an awesome variety we started this year), lettuces (purple romaine, black seeded Simpson), spinach (Bloomsdale Long Standing), strawberry leaves, kale (Tronchida), mustard (Southern Giant curled) and turnip greens- can't get enough
beet leaves (Early Wonder)- ok when young, when the plants get bigger, nope
plantains (yes, I grow the weed for my buns)- same as beet leaves

I give blueberries and chunks of cucumber (Marketmore) as treats- they gobble them up, except for my lionhead, who is far too picky.

Yeah, mine haven't had problems with the brassicas--no gas; they tend to self-moderate when I give them a heap to eat. But everything I've been told from years back is DO NOT let any animal (people included) eat rhubarb leaves because they are poisonous. That's why I am so shocked that my buns ate them to the nubs and nothing happened. Same with the tomatoes. I've never had wild critters eat either of those plants before, so I am surprised. I'm struggling with are they toxic or is my bun diet out of balance? Interesting...

the reluctant farmer":1yyc2x3a said:
I've never had wild critters eat either of those plants before

We have had chipmunks and ground squirrels eat our young tomato plants, and when I had goats they would eat them if they got into the garden.

According to this Wiki article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine , tomato leaves may not contain solanine (the poisonous compound found in potato leaves and green tubers):

Solanine in tomatoes

Some, such as the California Poison Control System, have claimed that tomatoes and tomato leaves contain solanine. However, Dr. Mendel Friedman of the federal Department of Agriculture contradicts this claim stating that tomatine, a relatively benign alkaloid, is the tomato alkaloid while solanine is found in potatoes. Food science writer Harold McGee has found scant evidence for tomato toxicity in the medical and veterinary literature.

Solanine poisoning
Symptoms

Solanine poisoning is primarily displayed by gastrointestinal and neurological disorders. Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps, burning of the throat, cardiac dysrhythmia, nightmare, headache and dizziness. In more severe cases, hallucinations, loss of sensation, paralysis, fever, jaundice, dilated pupils, hypothermia and death have been reported.

Ingestion of solanine in moderate amounts can cause death. One study suggests that doses of 2 to 5 mg per kilogram of body weight can cause toxic symptoms, and doses of 3 to 6 mg per kilogram of body weight can be fatal.[2]

Symptoms usually occur 8 to 12 hours after ingestion, but may occur as rapidly as 30 minutes after eating high-solanine foods.

As for rhubarb:

Rhubarb leaves contain poisonous substances, including oxalic acid, which is a nephrotoxic and corrosive acid that is present in many plants. Humans have been poisoned after ingesting the leaves. Such poisoning was a particular problem in World War I, when the leaves were recommended as a food source in Britain.[19][20]

The LD50 (median lethal dose) for pure oxalic acid in rats is about 375 mg/kg body weight,[21] or about 25 grams for a 65 kg (~140 lb) human. (Other sources give a much higher oral LDLo (lowest published lethal dose) of 600 mg/kg.[22]) While the oxalic acid content of rhubarb leaves can vary, a typical value is about 0.5%,[23] so a rather unlikely 5 kg of the extremely sour leaves would have to be consumed to reach an LD50 of oxalic acid. Cooking the leaves with soda can make them more poisonous by producing soluble oxalates.[24] However, the leaves are believed to also contain an additional, unidentified toxin,[25] which might be an anthraquinone glycoside (also known as senna glycosides).[26]

In the petioles (stalks), the amount of oxalic acid is much lower, only about 2-2.5% of the total acidity, which is dominated by malic acid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhubarb

Well oxalic acid isn't entirely toxic. We eat many foods considered high in oxalic acid. Spinach is one of the worst. Oxalis which looks like a clover is often fed in small amounts and guess where it gets its name. You can't avoid oxalic acid and usually the only health risk comes from how it blocks absorption of calcium. If it's only a part of a large wild diet ( it takes a lot of greens to produce enough energy without our concentrated foods) then it might not reach dangerous levels. Human poisonings were mostly a result of eating lots of easy to grow rhubarb when there was food shortages.

I had a buck loose for a few week, just long enough for him to discover the tomato plants. He seemed to enjoy them immensely! :roll: I was really surprised at his hunger for the plants as it was a true maze to even reach them. He had to go past all kinds of plants I would have thought he would go for but nope, he went for the ones I had always been told were poisonous.

Perhaps they just arnt poisonous after all?

i am wondering about that. Still wonder if some of the newer breeds of tomatoes are tastier to the buns; bred for sweetness and less acidity. Out of curiosity GBov, what kind of tomatoes did you grow that your buck liked eating so much?

the reluctant farmer":2sj8bix2 said:
i am wondering about that. Still wonder if some of the newer breeds of tomatoes are tastier to the buns; bred for sweetness and less acidity. Out of curiosity GBov, what kind of tomatoes did you grow that your buck liked eating so much?

AbsoLUTEly no idea! :lol: The garden got thrown together the week we moved using all the old seeds left over from the last three gardens. All the seeds were heritage toms but that is all I can tell you about them.

Well, that and they didn't kill the rabbit! ;)

GBov":3lvbhr4p said:
AbsoLUTEly no idea! :lol: The garden got thrown together the week we moved using all the old seeds left over from the last three gardens.
:lol: That sounds like my winter garden right now--and in some spots, the plants were literally thrown in to fit around summer crops that hadn't finished yet! Looks like a crazy quilt now.

GBov":3lvbhr4p said:
All the seeds were heritage toms but that is all I can tell you about them.
)
OK, that shoots down my theory that the buns weren't as attracted to heritage breeds of tomatoes. Apparently they just didn't like my cherokee purple. (Or maybe they were so full from all the other tomatoes and rhubarb that they just couldn't eat another bite by the time they got to those plants.) Well, I'm with you--all I know for sure is that my buns ate tomato plants and leaves and lived to tell!

Latest posts

Back