To buy or not to buy

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastNeukRabbits

White Cloud Rabbits
Reaction score
Okay so I’m having a difficult time deciding whether or not to buy a doe I’ve been told is VERY territorial…plus points would be she’s a plush lop which I struggle to get where I live and she is a excellent example. However the rabbits I currently breed from have wonderful temperaments and I’d rather continue with friendly buns. Have I just answered my own question?! I know she’s eight months old and possibly hasn’t been handled much. Can territorial aggression be dampened?

I’d want to know more about her situation before totally writing her off, if you really want her. Her behavior could be reactive to her environment or even her current owner.

rabbits are totally strange. I had a rabbit that came to me as a bit territorial. Here she was a complete terror to the point she'd kill mice and launch herself out of cages to attack. She left me for a lady who said "I'll work with her" (much with my misgivings...and I'd never do this again but I was younger and a bit stupider at the time). This doe fell in love with her daughter and lived there for about a year as a happy, easy-going rabbit. Was rehomed to a pet home where she was a total mess...and came back here where she was euthanized for aggression.

Why do I tell you this?

Aggressive rabbits are a bit odd. They mostly will come back to being aggressive unless they find just the right set up that works for them. PLUS, one person's aggressive is another person's normal. If she's available for a totally amazing price then it might be worth a look. Do note the aggression can be genetic so I'd be asking questions about what parents/grandparents were like.

Hello. I don't know if you bought this doe yet, but good info anyways I think.
My thoughts. If she is only 8 months I would buy it if she has the other breed carictuistics you want. Hopefully you're buck can handle her. We had a NZ doe that would literally grab the pen door n shake it if you got near her pen. Especially when she had kits. But she was a great mama n protected her young. Had big litters.
I kept her offspring n had great rabbits. She was culled after breeding season. So she gave us 45-50 kits to choose from.
I have a doe that is ornery n had trouble birthing. We are a working farm so she will be culled.
Hey, " you'll have that " became my favorite quote with rabbits
Good luck on your adventures

I would buy the Doe. I got a Buck recently with a very calm temperament and my Does are always cranky (Except for one) and so far, his Kits are very nice. If you decide to breed her I would choose a very calm Buck, but one that can show that he's in charge.

Firstly, thank you guys for your responses! @Olbunny @ladysown @RabbitsOfTheCreek excellent advice, echoed my own thoughts but hearing it from people with way more experience helped make my decision to…buy the doe!
I umm’d and ahh’d but she has great conformation, colour and is still young so I thought what the heck, I’d go for it! She’s a mini plush lop which is a product of American creativity I believe, and they are still pretty hard to get here in Scotland.
Then I went all in and bought a buck to go with her, proven and steady as you like which should work nicely, fingers crossed.

Firstly, thank you guys for your responses! @Olbunny @ladysown @RabbitsOfTheCreek excellent advice, echoed my own thoughts but hearing it from people with way more experience helped make my decision to…buy the doe!
I umm’d and ahh’d but she has great conformation, colour and is still young so I thought what the heck, I’d go for it! She’s a mini plush lop which is a product of American creativity I believe, and they are still pretty hard to get here in Scotland.
Then I went all in and bought a buck to go with her, proven and steady as you like which should work nicely, fingers crossed.
Congrats on having a new rabbit!

Latest posts

Back