Timothy Hay

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOhn B

Reaction score
Are there good online suppliers of Timothy hay? Do local feed stores usually carry timothy hay? How much should I expect the rabbits to consume in a week if free feeding? Are there things in some brands to avoid?

You can probably find a compressed bale of timothy hay at Tractor Supply. I have Orschelns but they only carry alfalfa, but in the next town they have Tractor Supply and according to their website they carry the timothy hay. My rabbits mainly get grass hay that I take from my round bale that I feed my horses and I fill up an empty 50lb feed bag and they go through that in 3 or 4 days. I have 4 adults and a litter of 6 and a litter of 3. But in spring and summer I pick grass and weeds and they eat that more than hay.

Yes you can get a 50# bale of Timothy at tractor supply, it will be where the horse hay is. It is compressed and bagged.

Yes you can get a 50# bale of Timothy at tractor supply, it will be where the horse hay is. It is compressed and bagged.
This is what I am using now - nice hay. I have also fed coastal bought locally in square or round bales. The compressed bales definitely take up less room.

Look for a local hay farmer - I found mine through a Facebook marketplace ad. Instead of paying $26 at tractor supply for hay that was often half dust, I pay $12/bale for high quality timothy/ orchard grass mix or $13/bale if I want it delivered.

Just make sure it's horse quality hay and you'll be fine. If you're still worried, ask the farmer what they use.

My rabbits didn't like the baled stuff from tractor supply. It didn't seem as fresh as the DuMor that I have been getting there since. Its weird because they are both produced by Tractor Supply. I wonder if they are sourced from different places. They eat that stuff like its nobody's business, but it is way more expensive! I need to find me a better supplier, maybe local. Its hard to get good stuff locally where I am in the city and not near agricultural land at all. I'm laughing to myself imagining coming back from a trip to my hometown with a bale of hay strapped to the top of my minivan.🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
My rabbits didn't like the baled stuff from tractor supply. It didn't seem as fresh as the DuMor that I have been getting there since. Its weird because they are both produced by Tractor Supply. I wonder if they are sourced from different places. They eat that stuff like its nobody's business, but it is way more expensive! I need to find me a better supplier, maybe local. Its hard to get good stuff locally where I am in the city and not near agricultural land at all. I'm laughing to myself imagining coming back from a trip to my hometown with a bale of hay strapped to the top of my minivan.🤣🤣🤣
LOL we do what we gotta do sometimes

I have a hard time finding quality timothy hay in my area, but there is a lot of orchard/grass hay that people use for horses. Is there any reason why I can't use it?

Latest posts

Back