Timothy/Alfalfa hay cubes for rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I found this advertisement for 60% alfalfa and 40% timothy grass hay cubes. I like the idea of cubes because hay is so messy-- can this be fed to rabbits instead of loose Hay? Or does it have to much alfalfa protein?

Standlee Timothy Lucerne Cubes 22.68 kg
(ZHFRLCS)

$33.00

This hay forage product is an excellent choice in feeding animals that require maintenance levels of energy requirements. These hay forage cubes are moderate in level of protein (12%) and low in sugar content at 8%. These particular types of hay forage cubes contain a blend of 60% alfalfa and 40% timothy grass hay forages. Alfalfa/Timothy Hay Cubes are considered low non-structured carbohydrates. These cubes are certified noxious weed free. Analysis
Protein - Not Less Than 12%
Crude Fat - Not Less Than 1%
Crude Fiber - Not More Than 32%
Moisture - Not More Than 12%

Ingredients: Sun Cured Alfalfa, Timothy Grass Hay Forages and Natural Bentonite

22.68 kg

Yes, lots of people feed those hay cubes. I have never been able to get mines to eat them.

I feed straight alfalfa cubes to my buns, so no, it's not too much alfalfa. I find that my rabbits waste less with the cubes than they do with loose hay. These sound pretty good, although that price would be expensive for here (not sure of the exchange rate).

I feed something similar to my Boris. He isn't a huge fan of them, but will eat them if I break them up some. Then again, he is a small lionhead.

I feed them== dry as a rock, and sometimes soaked in warm water-- its my way of feeling less guilty about not having lots of baled hay on hte place..

I fed them to a litter of 5wk old kits once, because I had some given to me, but didn't have any hay in the house at the time(I store it in the shed, and won't go out to the shed after dark). One of the babies mysteriously died that night, and had green slime coming out its nose and mouth. I believe it choked on them, so I threw the rest of the cubes out.

I feed them instead of loose hay. My herd loves them, I've never had issues with 'hay soup' or refusing to eat them. I have them in the nestbox for the popples too so they eat them from the start. They do play with them too.

I switched to the cubes when I moved, since there is no place for me to store a bale of hay here. SO much less waste and after a few days my rabbits eat them as happily as they did hay. :) Haven't had a problem from it yet, either. :)

Once the rabbits get loose hay then you switch to the cubes.. Most will not eat them right away. GIve them a few days without hay and try them again with the cubes . then they will eat them. I have one in the house gets hay cubes.. Because of the mess. and he eats them no problem.

Wow, I'm glad I asked. I'm going to try them at least and see how it goes. So it can be used as a substitute for hay? I will still need to give them pellets as well though correct? (I think there are extra vitamins and minerals in my pellets).

I give mine rabbit pellets and alfalfa cubes like those you give to goats or horses. Mine really seem to enjoy them. I also do freshly cut grass daily.

A couple of mine really seem to like them. You would feed them in place of loose hay, but most of mine really like it loose better.

squidpop":3l1varry said:
Wow, I'm glad I asked. I'm going to try them at least and see how it goes. So it can be used as a substitute for hay? I will still need to give them pellets as well though correct? (I think there are extra vitamins and minerals in my pellets).
They are hay, just pressed through a die

BUMP. The OP was talking about standlee. TSC has the 40lb pound for $14.99 imam going to pick up a bag. Was wondering if anybody has used that specifically. I normally feed straight alfalfa cubes to young rabbits and nursing does. Or everybody when it's cold out.

My rabbits refuse to eat them unless I soak them first but my guinea pigs used to love them

I feed the alfalfa and oat cubes, my rabbits do fine with them instead of hay. I do break them into smaller pieces the first few times a rabbit gets them but, after that, I just make sure they always have a cube. Cubes are clean, easy and convenient once you get rabbits eating them. Mixed hay is fine too as long as the cubes are the hay and they get pellets or other foods as well. I wouldn't feed a rabbit cubes only, they are a bit of work for rabbits to eat so, not good for all of the diet but, I think they are fine instead of hay.

I prefer the alfalfa oat or pure alfalfa but, have gotten the timothy mix when that's all my feed store had.

I bought a bag of timothy/alfalfa cubes the middle of last year. For the most part my rabbits ignore them. They were not a big hit here. I tried repeatedly and they just didn't like them. Some would eat them a little. It was a big disappointment for me as I had hoped to use them in place of hay. Our 19 rabbits are indoors and hay ends up everywhere especially when I am not the one feeding it. I haven't completely given up on the idea and might try one of the ones with oats.

if feeding cubes to rabbits, I would recomend feeding some grass hay with it,[like the alf/tim cubes you mentioned] because for some [older does especially] there is not enough long stem fiber in alfalfa alone.
With all that said-- if the alfalfa hay is stemmy and course it is no problem, --but-- if the alfalfa is beautiful, fine stem, leafy, premium, hay -some older does /bucks, will not get enough fiber.
I have absolutely beautiful alfalfa hay, and some does will sort out the stems and waste the leaf, until I add some corn stalks, or grass hay -- after that-- they clean it all up.

Latest posts

Back