Time to kindle

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-HRanchito

Reaction score
About how long does it take a normal rabbit to kindle? Came home to one kit :D , and I'm wondering what my chances are of siblings! I'm worried if it turns out to be a singleton because my other does missed and she is a first timer...

It can take a while. I had a doe have babies early in the morning one day and 4 more in the middle of the next night.

:eek: Wow! and they were alive? I won't any sleep tonight -- baby was on the wire and I don't want any popplesicles

4 live and 4 dead the first morning. And 4 more all alive the middle of the next night. I ended up putting bedding all over her cage just in case. And a good thing cuz they were all on the floor too.<br /><br />__________ Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:21 pm __________<br /><br />I would put hay all over the entire floor of the cage just in case and check on her from time to time.

It seems like rabbits have their kits on the wire all the time even when there is a box in there with them. I think I just got real lucky the first time and she went into the box to birth. I'm starting to think I'm not going to get so lucky next time.

My Californian's doe first litter took over 24 hours. She had two, then nothing... then six more, one of which was dead. I suspect that one was stuck.

So it's possible to get live kits from a long labor, though I'm sure everybody prefers that it's over quickly.

-Wendy

mystang89":14g4o953 said:
It seems like rabbits have their kits on the wire all the time even when there is a box in there with them. I think I just got real lucky the first time and she went into the box to birth. I'm starting to think I'm not going to get so lucky next time.

Not usually...most of mine use the box from the first litter on...I have rarely had one drop a litter on the wire unless I did not give them a nestbox in time. It is just that people are more likely to post about on the wire babies since it is such an event most of the time.

OneAcreFarm":9vno1r1u said:
Not usually...most of mine use the box from the first litter on...I have rarely had one drop a litter on the wire unless I did not give them a nestbox in time. It is just that people are more likely to post about on the wire babies since it is such an event most of the time.
That's nice to hear. I was actually kind of starting to worry about mine having kits on the wire this coming December, especially since it looks like we're actually going to have a winter this time. That said I don't even have any pregnant does yet but I am hoping to come this Sunday.

Latest posts

Back