time to bring in the rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rapidrabbit

Reaction score
general question on when to bring rabbits into the hutch from a tractor. 1st year rabbitry here.

I have been keeping many of my rabbits in tractors all summer and fall, and am wondering when, if at all, that I need to bring them into wind protected hutches. The tractors have an insulated "nesting' area to keep wind off of them, as well as the elements.

is it fine to keep them in the tractors through winter (providing the snow is not too deep, etc or should I have them in the smaller hutches that is semi-enclosed and completely protected from wind/rain/snow.

sounds like a silly question, but wanted to see what best practices are.
thanks

What's your current temperature? Getting very cold any time soon?
guess that information would have helped. its currently getting down into the mid 30's F at night, with expected lows in the 20s/teens over the next couple of weeks. it will get down 0 f at some point.

the hutches are also outdoors and will experience the same temperatures, but in an semi-enclosed area to keep direct wind/rain/snow off of them, so it is much better protected but smaller cages for them than the tractors (which also has 6' x 6' area for them to run around in)

I would love for them to stay out as long as possible for exercise/space reasons, but can pull them in at any time, if needed.

they are Champagne d’Argent with big thick coats.

Thanks again

general question on when to bring rabbits into the hutch from a tractor. 1st year rabbitry here.

I have been keeping many of my rabbits in tractors all summer and fall, and am wondering when, if at all, that I need to bring them into wind protected hutches. The tractors have an insulated "nesting' area to keep wind off of them, as well as the elements.

is it fine to keep them in the tractors through winter (providing the snow is not too deep, etc or should I have them in the smaller hutches that is semi-enclosed and completely protected from wind/rain/snow.

sounds like a silly question, but wanted to see what best practices are.
thanks
Not a silly question at all - managing your rabbits in different seasons can really affect their health, for better or worse!

I usually bring our rabbits in from the tractors when it starts to get wet, i.e. in the rainy fall months here. I have found that the incidence of coccidiosis in the rabbits goes up dramatically when it gets hard to find a dry, clean place to move the tractor.

Rabbits as a species are extremely well adapted to the cold, and as long as they have access to shelter from wind/precipitation - which it sounds like your tractors provide - I would expect that they would do fine on the ground. If you have enough space to keep moving them to clean, dry areas throughout the winter, I don't see why they couldn't live in a tractor all year. Since your rabbits are already used to being outside, they will have had naturally adapted to the changing season. As long as they can get into the sheltered area, they might actually enjoy playing/burrowing in some drifted snow in the exercise area. Our bunnies love the snow!

I'm not sure where you are, but for me here in Alaska, it would be just too much time/work to shovel new areas for them and break the tractors free of the frozen ground every time I wanted to move them, so I move them into wire cages in our lighted barn. Plus, it's more comfortable for me the barn, so I spend a lot more time with the rabbits than I would if they were in a tractor outside. Even if you don't actually handle your rabbits, it's always a good idea to spend time watching them. Not only is it pleasant and stress-reducing, but it's a good way to know what's "normal" behavior for your rabbits, thus allowing you to pick up on subtle signs of problems before they get out of control.

Last edited:
Not a silly question at all - managing your rabbits in different seasons can really affect their health, for better or worse!

I usually bring our rabbits in from the tractors when it starts to get wet, i.e. in the rainy fall months here. I have found that the incidence of coccidiosis in the rabbits goes up dramatically when it gets hard to find a dry, clean place to move the tractor.

Rabbits as a species are extremely well adapted to the cold, and as long as they have access to shelter from wind/precipitation - which it sounds like your tractors provide - I would expect that they would do fine on the ground. If you have enough space to keep moving them to clean, dry areas throughout the winter, I don't see why they couldn't live in a tractor all year. Since your rabbits are already used to being outside, they will have had naturally adapted to the changing season. As long as they can get into the sheltered area, they might actually enjoy playing/burrowing in some drifted snow in the exercise area. Our bunnies love the snow!

I'm not sure where you are, but for me here in Alaska, it would be just too much time/work to shovel new areas for them and break the tractors free of the frozen ground every time I wanted to move them, so I move them into wire cages in our lighted barn. Plus, it's more comfortable for me the barn, so I spend a lot more time with the rabbits than I would if they were in a tractor outside. Even if you don't actually handle your rabbits, it's always a good idea to spend time watching them. Not only is it pleasant and stress-reducing, but it's a good way to know what's "normal" behavior for your rabbits, thus allowing you to pick up on subtle signs of problems before they get out of control.
Thank you - many good points. we are in n. indiana and we will get plenty of snow this winter, so frequently moving the tractor will not be a good option once it starts. I spent the time and money to build the shelter, so I might as well use it, but will probably keep them in the tractors until a good snowing.

Thanks again for your input.

This doesn’t answer your question but I thought I’d share. We have a doe with a young litter who has a clean, snug 6x8 shed and during the day we open the door and she can come out into a fenced yard. She loves coming out! Our yard has been snow covered for weeks. The temp is about mid-teens at night. It will get up near 32 in the afternoon if the sun is out. She sits out on the snow or hardpacked ice for hours sometimes, regardless of the temperature. She has the freedom to go inside but prefers being out for hours at a time. We entice her inside at night with oats (for predator protection). I wouldn’t be surprised if she would stay out for hours at night but for our insistence that she get locked up.

Latest posts

Back