time between breeding attempts?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinnia

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard a few different "rules" on spacing out breeding attempts. I can't find a real definitive answer.

When I put a doe with the buck, and she appears ready (dark pink/purple vulva), and the buck falls off and doe lifts.... Can I put the doe back in for the buck to try again within hours/days of the successful "falling off"?

Here are some things I've heard...

Can't put the buck back after 8 hours or she'll be on a different cycle and miscarry...

Can put the doe back within the first few days.

Only put the doe back within a few hours.

Is there a hard-fast rule? Is there any problem with leaving the buck with a doe for longer periods?

Thank you!

No solid rules. Most leave the doe and buck together until he breeds her 3 times. Some will put her back a few hours to a day later. Some only do it if he doesn't manage to breed her the 3 times. It's pretty much proven that a doe cannot get pregnant twice if you space out the breedings. I find no reason to breed again if she gets covered at least 3 times. I haven't found it gives me larger litters or anything. Sometimes if I'm having a difficult doe or lazy buck I'll pull her out to a carrier for an hour or 2 and then try again. Sometimes they are more in the mood to breed after that. Not sure why.

What? Everyone has standard wire rabbit carriers.

akane":3gm2medq said:
What? Everyone has standard wire rabbit carriers.
Well, if you "pulled her out to a carrier for an hour or two..." and then, when you put her back she was in the mood... Just saying... That's a special kind of carrier.

Lol. Ya some us girls like wine and dinner and candles.... some us like being locked in small spaces for a short time... dont judge ;) hahaha kidding. Neat trick long as it works for you.

Well, it's worth a try, if I ever need a magic carrier...

Right now I've got a buck that makes ALL the does want to lift. I was debating not using him, as he is a smaller framed FA, but he's really bucky... very dominant, growling and grunting, thumping and protecting the does like a mad man... The does seem to LOVE this more than the big, handsome easy going buck I have.

I've been having trouble with some of my bucks. My 2 best bucks just don't impress the does. One has eventually gotten a doe pregnant but after trying all summer and early fall the one I wanted him to breed did not get pregnant. I was questioning sterility but I popped her in with my buck who is DQed in several ways but knows what he is doing with the does and he had her bred 3 times within minutes. I have a 4th buck who is so so. I think he covered my easiest doe to breed. I will have to try him with the difficult doe who kindled recently if neither of the bucks I want can breed her still. She just does not lift for any buck who isn't confident and forceful enough.

ohiogoatgirl":37gss2dw said:
Ya some us girls like wine and dinner and candles.... some us like being locked in small spaces for a short time... dont judge ;)

:lol: *Snort!* :lol:

ohiogoatgirl":ezaco6iw said:
Lol. Ya some us girls like wine and dinner and candles.... some us like being locked in small spaces for a short time... dont judge ;) hahaha kidding. Neat trick long as it works for you.
That's why I had to giggle about the carrier.... This is what was going through my mind. :lol:

Latest posts

Back