"Ticking" of coat in kit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoftPawsRabbitry

Reaction score
So this was an accidental litter.

Mom was mine, she was from a accidental litter as well LOL apple doesn't fall far from the tree..
Anyway.
Mom's mom was a Sandy Flemish giant (maybe mixed with a black Flemish or steel, she was darker)
Mom's dad was I believe a broken opal Holland lop.

She turned out black with faint hints of red in patches around her fur.

The dad is a pedigree chocolate Tan.

The babies are starting to get a coat, and I mean, I've bred blacks and Sandy bunnies before and never seen this, what color is that coming in? Thanks!IMG_20211203_112300405.jpg

I am not great at coat genetics and names yet, but I had ticking exactly like this on my litter born in October. They are now an agouti but looked like they would be otter at first! Would love to see how yours turns out when they're a bit older ☺

I am not great at coat genetics and names yet, but I had ticking exactly like this on my litter born in October. They are now an agouti but looked like they would be otter at first! Would love to see how yours turns out when they're a bit older ☺
Haha thanks! This will definitely be interesting, since a lot of my rabbits are agouti! I'll keep you posted!

Looks like an otter, maybe a sandy
Maybe a mix? I never have had a otter, but looking at comparison pictures they don't have the same pattern, but it's still so dark to be a Sandy! This is my first litter of unexpected color patterns. New pictures! The ticking increased up the sides and has some fawn color to it nowIMG_20211205_150841113_HDR.jpgIMG_20211205_151127676_HDR.jpgIMG_20211205_151135970~2.jpgIMG_20211205_151243959.jpg

1641928394831.png

1641928485550.png

1641928538047.png

Your kits look a lot like they could have some Silver Martin in them. Or something that would create the same ticking. These are some examples from online. Your little kits are so cute in the young pictures especially!

Last edited:
They still have the ticking but they are definitely otters!! View attachment 28683(Sorry this is the only image I have on me rn!! It's from a week ago)

They are sooooo cute! My agoutis with the same ticking lost theirs --er or *I* lost where they would be. Hard to tell with the pattern lol. That is so cool that they kept the ticking! Are the white ticks longer hairs than the rest still?

Side note, I really love your handwriting!

They are sooooo cute! My agoutis with the same ticking lost theirs --er or *I* lost where they would be. Hard to tell with the pattern lol. That is so cool that they kept the ticking! Are the white ticks longer hairs than the rest still?

Side note, I really love your handwriting!
Goodness sorry for the late reply!! Haha thanks that's something I don't hear often!! They filled out to be full otter! Very sweet babies too

looks like silver martin coloring, i don't know what that's called in other breeds. in all honesty I'm paying more attention to that crack in your nail and think about how much it hurt 😖 lol

I would agree with Otter.

It's not steel, that doesn't show until the rabbit is in a mature coat. Even at 4 weeks it is just becoming visible. You can see a slightly different shade in a blue and a blue steel at birth, but then it goes away and only comes back as they lose their baby coat and start into a junior coat/

Latest posts

Back