Tick on eyelid

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preitler

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

my youngest doe has a tick on her left eyelid, I don't really dare to try to get it because she is quite shy anyway, I fear hurting her would ruin weeks of getting her tame.

Is there any easy way to get rid of it, or should I just wait?

weissgraue zeck.jpg

2 weeks ago it would have been difficult to get that picture, she was all " You and what army?" :wr_noseinair:

Weissgraue2.jpg

Poor girl! I don't know what to advise since I've had little to do with ticks, in spite of living where you'd expect to encounter them.

Our cat Marilla once had a tick on her neck which we removed with tweezers. But it was all swollen with her blood that at least there was something to grip.

Hope someone has something more useful to suggest.

Ticks will gorge on blood and then fall off. I'm guessing, just by the picture, that it's what we call a "yearling" tick and it looks like it's already fairly full of blood. It will probably fall off on it's own before long. Just be on the lookout for others in the area. Where there is one there are usually more.

Thanks.

I had a tick on my Fury at the same spot, it got nibbled off before I could do anything, but this doe is the lowest in hirachy so I'm not so sure she gets groomed that thoroughly.

Anyway, that reminds of gettng my my third FSME immunisation shot, :shock: ... <br /><br /> -- Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:14 am -- <br /><br /> One night later - problem solved, tick is gone.
Time to clean the hutch thoroughly, just in case it fell of by itself.

I'm glad your does problem has been resolved! FWIW a drop of Mineral oil or Baby Shampoo directly on the tick will usually work to get them to release. Both Mineral Oil and Baby Shampoo are non-toxic and do not burn the animals eyes.

longshadow":o7ktye5r said:
I'm glad your does problem has been resolved! FWIW a drop of Mineral oil or Baby Shampoo directly on the tick will usually work to get them to release. Both Mineral Oil and Baby Shampoo are non-toxic and do not burn the animals eyes.

That's good to know, longshadow! :) Ticks aren't a huge problem this far north, (I've only seen perhaps half a dozen in the fourteen years we've lived here) but our cat had one on her neck once. We managed to remove it with tweezers, but I was so afraid of not getting it all. Mineral oil or baby shampoo sounds a lot easier.

MaggieJ":1crvpqia said:
We managed to remove it with tweezers, but I was so afraid of not getting it all.

It's actually alot harder to pull the head off than they make it sound. I've pulled hundreds of ticks off dogs and horses. I've only left the head behind a handful of times and those where times when the tick was actually deeply imbedded in the animals hide. None of those times ever caused a problem.

Until the fire ants moved in about 20 years ago we had TONS of ticks. Now you only get them in the deep woods where the fire ant's don't go. This is one of the few good things I can say about fire ants.

Tricky but vinegar applied directly to the tick a couple times a day for a few days will get them gone. It dried them out and they also hate the smell.

gash":1f5dvdcj said:
Tricky but vinegar applied directly to the tick a couple times a day for a few days will get them gone. It dried them out and they also hate the smell.

I wouldn't recommend this. Lime disease requires a tick to be attached for around 24 hrs. If you get a tick get it off. Allowing vinegar to work could be to late, especially if you don't know how long it's already been attached.

Latest posts

Back