Thoughts on Tri Buck's Coloration?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyFarms

Reaction score
Hey guys! Haven't been able to be on here in a while, but I'm hoping to see what thoughts you might have on this tri buck's coloration? Trying to decide on keeping or selling or culling otherwise... Thanks!

@Alaska Satin @judymac @ladysown ~and anyone else, too!

Attachments

• IMG_6395 Resized.jpg
    IMG_6395 Resized.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6403 Resized.jpg
    IMG_6403 Resized.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I don't show, so I'm not a good resource on that end. As far as the pattern goes, he does have the requisite nose spots (and one of each color, very good as a harlequin pattern!), colored ears and eye rings. Rex are allowed to be shown as tricolors, so I looked up their requirements: No preference between the blanket pattern (which he is), or the Dalmation-like spots. Blanket should start at the nape of the neck and continue down the back and over the hips and sides, with at least 10% color and not more than 50% color. Balance of pattern preferred. No colored toenails allowed.

I was just looking at the Rex Standard of Perfection, could be different in other breeds. "One or more colored toenails" is listed as a fault for Rex, it's not a disqualification. Mini Lops have a different standard, body pattern can be spotted, blanket, or in patches. Color on ears, nose and eye rings still required. Color to be evenly distributed, toenails not even mentioned in the Tricolor section. Amount of color to be more than Charlie and less than booted, that's a big leeway in-between.

I don't know the ARA Standard for Rex.... He's got a good amount of colour. My concern is that his colouring is often not distinct. But I don't know the standard, nor have i ever had the pleasure of watching tricolour rex shown. I know with mini rex that patterning will see them place lower than a similar confirmation animal.

He’s a pretty good looking boy to me, but I’m new to all of this. When we took our tri girl to the ARBA show the second judge said she didn’t have enough black for her brown. They are supposed to be 50% of each color according to them. He looks to be pretty even.

Hey guys! Haven't been able to be on here in a while, but I'm hoping to see what thoughts you might have on this tri buck's coloration? Trying to decide on keeping or selling or culling otherwise... Thanks!

His pattern is well-balanced; he might be a little heavy on the black versus the amount of orange, but that's slight. But he does have quite a bit of brindling in his color. It is preferable to have distinct spots of orange and black, rather than a mixture of the two colors. His orange color looks good in one photo, but in the other it looks like it may be a bit faded; blow into it and see how far down toward the skin the orange color goes without fading.

The rex SOP (Standard of Perfection) allots 10 points out of 100 to color; in the brokens, color gets 5 points, pattern gets 5 points. Good pattern = 5 points, some brindling in his color = 1-3 points, which is a drop in the bucket out of the total 100. So even though a tricolor's color and pattern are a dominant feature of the rabbit, his type and fur should far outweigh concern over his coloring. As far as showing, only if everything else is the same would he lose on the brindling.

If you're not showing but looking for flashy rabbits, he would be fine; he's an attractive rabbit. Some might suggest cleaning up the spots (eliminating the brindling), but on the other hand, a brindled pattern is very appealing to some people.

See @Buknee's well-patterned tricolored rex buck here:
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/who-here-is-active-in-the-arba.35912/page-3#post-352271He has well-placed and distinct spots, though his nose marking is off-balance (again, worth only a point or so).

I thought that a broken/tricolor could have colored toenails? ??
A tricolored rex is shown in the "broken group" in which one or more colored toenails is a fault but not a DQ. That's explicitly stated in the Rex SOP because in the ARBA list of General Disqualifications, mismatched toenails are an automatic DQ. It makes sense, though, since the rex broken group includes tris (broken harlequins), and harlequins typically have different colored feet. In fact, in the Harlequin breed SOP, it explicitly states that toenails may be light, dark or mismatched. Only in the japanese variety are completely white toenails a DQ.

I love the color on your tri buck! He has good coverage and bright colors. He isn't posed but he looks like he has nice type too. If he were mine, he'd be a keeper, I have a very similar buck now.

Tricolor is a labor of love right now, but they are starting to place. Biggest problem with the tri's are they tend to be small and they are a work in progress to get SOP type. But other brokens started the same way and are winning consistently and tri's are improving constantly. Type (SOP) and size are the number one consideration then the color.

Back