Thinking of starting to breed and show- where to start?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RubyRed

Reaction score
I’m thinking of starting to breed and show rabbits in a few years- maybe 10 or so, as I want to be completely educated about this, and I’m not in a good position to be breeding rabbits currently, still being in school and all. 10 years is a long time, but I want to be committed to this and I want to make sure I know everything about breeding and showing before I start.
I would like to mainly focus on breeding and showing Thriantas. I absolutely love the Thrianta breed, even though I don’t own one- I think their fur color is beautiful and the breed itself is just fascinating to me. The breed seems a lot rarer and less worked on than most other recognized breeds. They seem to be known as a bit more hormonal and standoffish than other breeds, and there aren’t many breeders that I can find near me. However I’m all for starting to breed and show them to improve the breed.
The other breed I love is Himalayans, since they are so docile, simple, and have beautiful coloring), but I think it’s best to stick with one breed I’m most passionate about at first.
Where do I start? Are there any show breeders here that could explain the basics of breeding for show to me? Any good articles on showing and breeding for show that you’d recommend? How did you start showing? And any tips on starting out in the show world?

Thank you so much!

I've been breeding for shows for a while, if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Are you young enough to do 4H/FFA? If so that's a good way to learn about showing rabbits.

Research! Join fb breeder groups, join the ARBA, and ask as many questions as you have! Once you have a solid foundation, start the rabbitry.
first thing is to get a solid breeding trio, an amazing buck and two good does. Trust me, it's so much easier to get off the ground by making an initial investment then fighting upward (I fought upward and it took 4 years to get anywhere) Find a local breeder who shows successfully to mentor you and hold your hand for the first year or so. They will help you with the rabbits themselves since at first it appears quite overwhelming!

Check craigslist or fb marketplace for both supplies and rabbits themselves. A lot of people rehome and sell rabbits on both craigslist and fb, that’s how I got started. I also bought hutches and cages like that. People are always phasing out of having rabbits, so there’s usually cheap things for sale. You can put a ISO (in search of) post on craigslist with what you want too. Good luck! Also keep in mind most rabbits can only breed utill they are 4 years old, so have a plan to line breed or replace breeders as they age out. Line-breeding is fine for a couple generations.

I am, but I don’t really know much about it.
4H/FFA is really just about the best way to get into showing rabbits. They should have clubs near you that hold meetings to practice rabbit handling and rabbit knowledge, and the 4H competitions are a good gateway into open rabbit shows in the future. If you look up your local cooperative extension office they should be able to direct you towards local 4H clubs near you that have a rabbit project. If you want competitive show rabbits, craigslist isnt the place to look. Join the ARBA (and buy their standard, it is THE resource on what makes a rabbit show quality or not). Join the breed national club. There are some good facebook groups specifically for breeders of a certain breed, and that might be a good place to ask about finding breeders local to you. if there aren't any local breeders (and there might not be, thriantas are pretty uncommon throughout the whole US and himalayans - my favorite breed - are uncommon in some parts of it) you can try to visit shows and see if breeders from out of state or nearby might be bringing rabbits for sale to a show. Buying from a show is just about the most common way to purchase show quality rabbits. Even if you are not showing yet I'd advise visiting a show just to watch and learn. Offer to write placements for the judge once you feel comfortable with it, it's a good way to be behind the table and see what the judge is looking at, and as a judge I can tell you we always need more people back there writing placements ;)

Thanks for the info! Sorry for not getting back sooner. I'm going to be joining my state's 4H in the autumn, and I am also going to be going to the summer agriculture fair to volunteer and watch the rabbit shows. I've found a nice English Lop/Holland Lop/Lionhead show breeder nearby and my mom may let me get started in the 4H with one of her rabbits, possibly an English Lop, as I can't find any nice Thrianta or Himalayan breeders nearby, plus I can't start seriously showing for another few years probably. I am going to continue researching though :)

Latest posts

Back