They Call Us "The Terminator Family"

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, Hubs and I started taking Advanced Defensive Handgun classes. Each course spans twelve weeks, and we attend them once a week for two hours. This allows time to practice new techniques as they are introduced, and hone the skills already learned. 30 minutes of daily dry practice and one session of live fire is recommended as "homework".

There are 5 levels, with Level IV being force-on-force scenario training using air-soft guns. They simulate real life situations such as ATM and bank robberies, car jacking, etc. Level IV and Level V are offered on alternate years- we took Level IV last year, and will be taking Level V this year.

We have enjoyed these classes so much that we decided to take them as a family- Firstpup and Queenpup just completed Level III with Hubs and myself (our second time through, and their first), and Colliepup just finished Level I. Colliepup was nine when the class started, and just turned ten earlier this month, so you can imagine the trepidation the adults taking the class probably viewed him with on day one.

At the end of the class, there is a test to assess your progress. Those that score 90% or better are "Distinguished Graduates", and every class has a "Top Gun". If there is a tie score for highest points, there is a "shoot off" consisting of head shots from the ready position starting at 3 meters, and at increasing distance until someone misses.

Colliepup and Queenpup shoot 9mm Glock pistols, while Firstpup, Hubs and myself carry 40 caliber Glocks.

So without further ado, here are the test times for Level I, performed as open carry:

The "Standards"- two rounds center mass, slightly high, from the holster:

3 Meters- 1.5 seconds
7 Meters- 1.8 seconds
10 Meters- 2.2 seconds
15 Meters- 3.0 seconds

Head shots- 1.5 seconds
(From the ready position, at 5 Meters, single shot to the cranial-occular cavity. Performed 4 times.)

From 7 Meters:

Response Left- 2.2 seconds
(Assailant is to your left, so you must turn and face them, delivering two rounds to the thoracic cavity. Performed three times.)

Response Right- 2.2 Seconds

Multiple targets- 2.2 Seconds
Two bad guys- one shot each to the thoracic cavity. Performed three times.

Scoring: 5 points each round, 2 points for peripheral hits. -5 for late shots. Possible score 150.

Weapon Handling Skills- no points for correct execution, -5 for improper technique or late finish. Performed two times each.

Speed reload- 2 seconds
Tactical reload- 7 seconds

Malfunction Clearances:

Failure to Fire- 2 seconds
Failure to Eject- 2 seconds
Failure to Feed- 7 seconds

There were 6 adults in the class, one of which has taken these classes before. Colliepup was confident going into the test that his only competition for Top Gun was the fellow that had taken the course before. He was right! They tied for Top Gun, and had their shootoff, and Colliepup won! :hooray: He also scored over 90% and is a Distinguished Graduate! (I didn't even DG in Level I or II- Hubs DG'd and Top Gunned both classes though.) We are so proud of him, and our teacher Robert couldn't be more thrilled! Colliepup is the youngest student by far that has ever taken the course. Queenpup was the youngest before him, at 12.

The Level III test is a tad bit quicker in regard to speed, and has more techniques:

Speed Rock- 1.3 seconds
(Assailant is in arm's reach, and you have something blocking your retreat.)
Step back- 1.3 seconds
(As above, but nothing preventing retreat- take huge step back, two rounds to thoracic cavity, step back again.)
7 Meters- 1.3 seconds
10 Meters- 1.7 seconds
15 Meters- 2.3 seconds
25 Meters 3.0 seconds
Head shots from 7 Meters- 1.2 seconds (x7)

Responses performed twice each at 7 meters:

Response Right- 1.5 seconds
Response Left- 1.5 seconds
Response Rear-1.7 seconds

Firing hand only at 7 meters- 1.5 seconds
(Simulates that your support hand/arm has been wounded and cannot be used.)

Multiple targets at 7 meters:

2 bad guys- 1.5 seconds
3 bad guys- 2.0 seconds
4 bad guys- 2.5 seconds

No light at 7 meters- 1.5 seconds
(From the ready position, flashlight in support hand.)

Loads and malfunction clearances, 4 times each:

Speed reload- 1.5 seconds
Tactical reload- 5.0 seconds

Malfunction clearances:

Type 1- 1.2 seconds
Type 2- 1.2 seconds
Type 3- 5.0 seconds

250 possible points

Oh- did I mention these are all performed as concealed carry? :ninja: You have to clear your shirt to access your handgun- or remove your weapon from your purse, if that is your mode of carry.

Level III is the equivalent of a Black Belt in Martial Arts. I DG'd and Top Gunned the last time we took the class, but was afraid it might have been a fluke. But no! :p I did it again!!! I couldn't even DG in Levels one and two, and now I have Top Gunned Level III TWICE! Out of our class of ten, I was the only student to score over 90%. Most people don't DG the first time- one of our fellow students took the class 5 times before DG'ing. Poor Hubs hasn't even done so. He proudly calls me his "Double Black Belt"! :D I am one of only two women to ever DG, and the only one to do so twice! :pinkbunny: :bananadance: :pinkbunny: Can I say that again? Top Gun times TWO! Whoo-hoo! (My apologies, but I am overcome with pride and smugness! I am awesome, if I do say so myself... :roll: )

Firstpup is hoping to DG Level III this year while he is still 15- the youngest Black Belt to date is sixteen. We have a bit of a break from pistol craft before the next round of classes- Colliepup will take Level II, and we will be in Level V- the Master's course. We are currently taking the 4 month tactical rifle class again- our second class is this Sunday.

You can see some videos of the above techniques, and also play a rousing game of "Find MamaSheepdog, Hubs, and the Pups" :p by browsing the tactical rifle photo album and force on force scenario training at: https://www.facebook.com/tacticalshooters

Be sure to watch the video of Queenpup and Firstpup doing a Type III malfunction clearance in under Master's time!

Congrats to all! Are these specific to your state, or are they nationally available?

trinityoaks":10o0v27w said:
Congrats to all! Are these specific to your state, or are they nationally available?

Chuck Taylor is in Arizona, and Robert is the instructor in Ca. Chuck travels all over offering training to PD, military Special Forces, etc. If you could get a group together to share costs he would come to you. Unfortunately, you would have to take an intensive course over a period of a few days- you would learn the techniques, and have to practice them on your own. Here is a link to his website: http://www.chucktayloramericansmallarmsacademy.com/

Cattle Cait":10o0v27w said:
NICE!

I get a Concealed Pistol License class and my first handgun for my 21st birthday. I'm very excited about it. :)

Awesome! Wait until I tell Hubs! He liked you already- I can see your popularity rating soaring with him now! :D I am never without my gun- ever (unless prohibited by law)- since I have yet to find a fully functional crystal ball. You should carry a rifle in your truck too.

I would highly recommend a Glock. 40 cal or larger. Mine are Glock model 23. In case of failure, you should have a backup gun of the same make and model if your primary weapon needs repair. Always train with the gun you will carry, and don't carry one type one day and another type another day.

AFVHB's little brother is a sharpshooter, I told him to find me a derringer (sp?) to keep in my bra. Poor boy gave me the strangest look and said, "Um, Cait...um..."

Poor boy. Lol.

I am so proud to call you my Sistah! *sniff* Let's go shooting when I get there...wish I could bring my carry gun....

Thank you, my dear OAF!

California is one of the states that doesn't honor Texas CCW's. :evil: Wish I lived in a "free state"!

We will definitely go shooting- our range is very handy, being in our little valley! We have an assortment of weapons to choose from- all of the pistols except one are Glocks, but we also have long guns- rifles, shotguns, and AR's. We could do some trap shooting too! :gun:

MamaSheepdog":1ggoc4ch said:
Thank you, my dear OAF!

California is one of the states that doesn't honor Texas CCW's. :evil: Wish I lived in a "free state"!

We will definitely go shooting- our range is very handy, being in our little valley! We have an assortment of weapons to choose from- all of the pistols except one are Glocks, but we also have long guns- rifles, shotguns, and AR's. We could do some trap shooting too! :gun:

Can't wait! I love to shoot....

I need to find a place to shoot. . . It's about time I put some rounds through my DLF.

toastedoat37":zijdo7hd said:
dang, no one told me the women in here were armed, women with guns scare me

Don't worry- we're the good guys. :cowboy:

I don't call myself a sheepdog for nothin'. :)

Very, VERY cool!!! Gun rights and gun handling are seriously important to me, I can't tell you how happy I am to hear people learning how to shoot responsibly and, dare I say it, awesomely. ;)

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!!!! :gun: But, a special CONGRATS :thewave: to the ColliePup!

We have had tactical training also and they are FUN, FUN, FUN classes! And, you learn proper gun skills!

I qualified a few years ago and earned the state Pistol Expert badge ... the same one the cops around here can get :lol: When my daughter took a class with the same instructor, he told us she was the toughest young lady her age he ever met! We always finish at the top of the class, but we have an edge on most of those folks ... we have been shooting for years, shoot at an outdoor range (live air, not dead air), and shoot a variety of guns and distances.

I also had to laugh at OAF bemoaning not being able to take her gun ... and then MSD giving her the heads up that finding *something* for her to shoot wouldn't be a problem. When we go to the gun range, we take all carry pistols, some wheel guns, and 6-8 long guns (semi-autos, lever action, bolt action), and the shottys ... if you are going to practice, practice all of them :lol:

Hmmm, maybe we can plan a get together at a local range for those going to Wichita in October :D

Also, why can't OAF bring her gun? Just because you can't carry it doesn't mean you can't take it :D Even in Kommifornia you can still own a pistol :lol:

Latest posts

Back