There are chocolate Silver Foxes in there!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelleyBee

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I am soooo excited about this litter! I now have chocolate Silver Foxes in my rabbitry. :) <3 When I began with SF last year, my original trio carried only black and blue. When I heard ARBA accepted chocolate, I tried to figure out how I could get that color into my herd's genetics. The only SF rabbitry near me is an hour's drive away, but they have only lilac and blue. But he was willing to come to me and to make a trade of a lilac doe for me and I gave him one of my black does. That happened back in December. I thought it was on this forum where I learned if I breed the lilac doe to my black buck and then I breed back to mom any black buck from her litter I would get chocolate. Well, in the photo is that litter and there are 2 chocolates in there! I think there may also be one or two lilacs, but not too sure just yet. I am just tickled about it and wanted to share. It was a long process because I had to wait for a litter with a black buck (her first litter had only black does) and I had to wait for a buck with decent growth genes, which brought me to waiting until her 3rd litter for a buck that was best the buck for my herd.

20221121_113355.jpg

Last edited:
I love the chocolate color in rabbits. Last year I saw some Chocolate Havana rabbits--the color just popped.

Silver Marten breeders say not to have Blue genes in your Chocolate rabbits. The best color chocolate comes from Black (and of course, Chocolate) in their background.

Do Silver Fox breeders have anything to say about genetic background for chocolate?

I love the chocolate color in rabbits. Last year I saw some Chocolate Havana rabbits--the color just popped.

Silver Marten breeders say not to have Blue genes in your Chocolate rabbits. The best color chocolate comes from Black (and of course, Chocolate) in their background.

Do Silver Fox breeders have anything to say about genetic background for chocolate?
No, I've never heard that. We are only approaching one year for Chocolate as recognized. I suppose I will find out when I start showing my chocolates next year.

I've heard that about chocolates, but I have not found that to be the case, at least not in Satins and Polish. I've never seen any evidence in those breeds that a recessive dilute gene dulls full color. I would be interested in hearing what the S.M. breeders are concerned about.

One of the richest chocolates I've ever seen on a rabbit is this chocolate otter, Derby, sired by a lilac otter, half whose pedigree was blue otters. It's hard to get good pictures of color on Satins due to their sheen - thus the reddish tones on his flank reflecting my vest - but his chocolate color nearly makes your mouth water! His actual color is what you see across his shoulders.

204_1956 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I am soooo excited about this litter! I now have chocolate Silver Foxes in my rabbitry. :) <3 When I began with SF last year, my original trio carried only black and blue. When I heard ARBA accepted chocolate, I tried to figure out how I could get that color into my herd's genetics. The only SF rabbitry near me is an hour's drive away, but they have only lilac and blue. But he was willing to come to me and to make a trade of a lilac doe for me and I gave him one of my black does. That happened back in December. I thought it was on this forum where I learned if I breed the lilac doe to my black buck and then I breed back to mom any black buck from her litter I would get chocolate. Well, in the photo is that litter and there are 2 chocolates in there! I think there may also be one or two lilacs, but not too sure just yet. I am just tickled about it and wanted to share. It was a long process because I had to wait for a litter with a black buck (her first litter had only black does) and I had to wait for a buck with decent growth genes, which brought me to waiting until her 3rd litter for a buck that was best the buck for my herd.

View attachment 32566
They are beautiful! That surely looks like a lilac there between the chocolate and the black - paler and more "pinkish" than the two blues below.

Latest posts

Back