The year of the "she's not pregnant" litters

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Well, we've got ANOTHER who didn't look or act pregnant...eating like a piggie, no nest building, overdue...and suddenly a litter! This makes 3 does who've done this so far this year.

Bessie was bred back on the 24rd of January. Now, unless I screwed up and bred her again without writing it down, that's like 35days. Her last litter was on day 31. BUT the last time she looked really pregnant...lumpy, and didn't eat the last day.

This time she looked svelte. Showed no interest in the nest box other than a place to lie in, and continued eating.

Feeding the group this morning I was looking at her and thinking I should take her to Sam for a rendezvous, when I hear scrabbling in the nestbox. Sure enough...there was fur and 9 babies. All very fat and happy. (they look like she kindled early last night...dry, warm. So I built her a nest of hay, and put babies and fur back in it. Added some fur from the "fur explosion" from the other doe, and gave her calf manna :)

I tell ya, they're all in this together. It's a plan the does have put together to drive me nuts. :x

.... it's working.

At least you are getting litters. I've got one doe who has made us wait on a false pregnancy 3 times and delivered a single kit one time. Then we've bought 3 d'argent does bred to have none of them produce a litter and the one I managed to get rebred died of a prolasped uterus and we lost the kits. 2 other does failed to take from late summer until we finally got some kits in nov.

Mine never look pregnant or act it. Heck my Mini Rex will be eating hay out of the nest box as they're giving birth.

Congrats on the litters, Ann. We have been experiencing the same kind of Sneaky Doe Syndrome (SDS) around here. In February I bred my last Elop doe and both of my Vlop project does, then about a week later made the decision to sell out. Mind you I hadn't been able to get babies from the Elops for almost a year and the doe in question had missed previously each time, so I really thought it was unlikely from their history that anything would come of it. I just sold the last of my Elop bucks, so naturally over the weekend all three kindle, LOL.

Lauren

Congrats!! So wonderful that they were all healthy, and warm!

Back