The Loss Of A Kit And A Grudge Made Stronger

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitsOfTheCreek

Netherland Dwarf Breeder & Well-known Member
Reaction score
I don't know how long this happened, but definitely less than an hour of writing this

My kit, Gaston, has died. I accidentally left the door to their cage open, and one of my cats, Spotted Tabby (Who was of course the only one not shut in a room for eating) somehow grabbed Gaston, took him upstairs into the bathroom, and started bitng him. The only reason I found out was because there was a squeak noise. I rushed over, and I'm not kidding about this part, grabbed the cat by his scruff and shoved him away forcefully. I gently picked up Gaston and held him in my lap, where he took his last few moments with me.

I take a lot of the blame, but I still blame much of it on the stupid cat, who in fact, might have been the reason Jasper died.

That's sad, but the cat was only doing what nature intended him to do. You can be angry with him, but what's the good of blaming a creature for following its instincts? There is no right or wrong to a cat and no conscience either. Those are learned human concepts. Prevention is the only way to keep this kind of thing from happening.

But I feel for you in your loss. It's always hard losing an animal you love. (((HUGS)))

I don't know how long this happened, but definitely less than an hour of writing this

My kit, Gaston, has died. I accidentally left the door to their cage open, and one of my cats, Spotted Tabby (Who was of course the only one not shut in a room for eating) somehow grabbed Gaston, took him upstairs into the bathroom, and started bitng him. The only reason I found out was because there was a squeak noise. I rushed over, and I'm not kidding about this part, grabbed the cat by his scruff and shoved him away forcefully. I gently picked up Gaston and held him in my lap, where he took his last few moments with me.

I take a lot of the blame, but I still blame much of it on the stupid cat, who in fact, might have been the reason Jasper died.
You blame the cat?.... I think it's wiser of you to take a look at your own responsibility here.

About leaving doors open...
Well, my problem just is to keep the groups of does apart and the buck away from the doe, but ! open gates and doors at least 30 times per day, that's 10000 chances per year to mess up, even with a failure rate of latching properly of 1/1000 that's the chance for 10 surprise litters per year, well, worst was 4 unplanned litters and that was way too much.
So I install latches that snap closed when the door closes, make doors springloaded so they don't stay open, magnets holding doors closed, double gates where one is always closed or fences without gates I have to step over. I know I make mistakes and try to make everything as fail proof as possible.

It's sad, but it's not the cat's fault. People do forget and it's not necessarily the people's fault, either. IME, cats are completely amoral, though there may be the occasional outlier. Cats are for the most part instinct-driven. Many dogs do learn restraint; few cats are even capable of learning restraint.

There are certainly cats who will leave chickens alone, but this is not because they've learned that chickens are off-limits. Chickens will fight back and may injure the cat. Predators are always about not being injured, as an injured predator cannot feed itself.

They may also tend to specialize in a certain prey such as small rodents. Cats that are fed may not eat their prey, but it's still their instinct to kill it. What're you gonna do? They're cats. They are not as advanced as dogs, but we love them all the same. (Well, I don't, but I'm allergic to them and I really like being able to breathe, so...)

At least a third of it yes

"I accidentally left the door to their cage open"

If I don't ensure that my hens are safe in their house b/c I accidentally leave the door open and a fox gets in to kill my hens, it's not the foxes fault but mine. Accident or not, it is what it is. To blame the fox even 1/3rd and be angry with it would be completely irresponsible as well as illogical of me.
Just saying.....

I'm sorry to hear that this occurred. Terrible tragedy... 😞

To understanding the cat a little more. unless mssr. Spotted Tabby was taught to eat his "kill" then all he was really doing was playing with Gaston. Alas! Cats and rabbits have different ideas about play time. Perhaps in effort to save future kits you could engage mssr. Tabby in learning what safe words the rabbits use. Waiting for SQUEEEEL is much to long. Th-th-thump is likely a better safe word. It would also be good for mssr. Tabby to learn better off limits protocol. Ignoring lock-out/tag-out is good way for him to get himself hurt!

Sorry for your loss 😔

Latest posts

Back