The good old, excessive and unformed caecotrophs again.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karebru

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I know Siverfoxes aren't very popular here, but I have a trio, born late winter/early spring last year. They have issues, but not with temperament. They are very laid back, easy to handle, and each are eager to demand a good scratch behind the ears. If I let it happen, they could advance from livestock to pet status. :roll:
The blue doe, who to my unlearned eye, is the best of the three (Go figure. :? ) has, so far, refused to breed.

The other doe kindled 8, 5-1/5 weeks ago, with one starve-out at day 4. The seven surviving kits and Momma seem to be doing fine. The kits are active, hungry little buggers, and Mom acts like she'll be happy to be rid of them when I move them out this weekend.
The problem is, excessive and unformed caecotrophs. The doe has always had them, and it seems she has passed this on to her offspring. Could it be genetic, and not an illness?
None of my other rabbits have ever shown these symptoms, including the other Silverfox.
I feed 16% pellets and was giving her/them a handful of BOSS once a day for added fat, but stopped that a few days ago in anticipation of weening the litter. There's also a few alfalfa/bermuda cubes in the cage. They've been getting Timothy hay occasionally, and a small pinch of rolled oats every day.
I know the simple solution would be to cull the doe and not breed her again, but if it isn't a contagious disease, it doesn't really cause me any problems. Would it be crazy to breed her a few more times?..... As long as the meat is safe to eat?

I haven't tried Ben-Bac yet. Is the gel, or the powder easier to administer? Is there a different product that would work better?
My other rabbits seem fine with what I feed everyone.
Thanks for any suggestions. ;)

When we see cecotropes other than from an about to kindle doe, we cut back on the richness of the feed. I see you said that the other buns are doing fine on that diet but if this doe and her kits were able to thrive on a less rich diet that wouldn't be a problem. How is the doe's condition--has she lost a lot of weight while nursing this litter? Is the litter growing well? Those are the things I'd want to know. If you're not seeing any other problem and she's held condition well, then I'd cut the BOSS and reduce the pellets and make sure she had plenty of hay for a bit and see how she does on that.

:yeahthat:

I would think it's her system, and not disease.
You might try giving them all a probiotic just in case it's a simple digestive imbalance. The kits get their GI bacteria from eating her cecotropes, but if she's lacking, they may just need another source to be OK.

Most of my silverfox would get excessive cecotropes if fed pretty much anything other than hay and pellets. They didn't need boss or anything else to maintain condition, but it sure was frustrating trying to feed them any kind of natural diet.

Even in less sensitive breeds, I consider boss to be a bit too rich for kits.

Thank you both. I'll try just pellets and lots of hay for a while... Maybe try some Ben-Bac.
The kits are growing slower than my 2-week older Havanas had by that same age, but they're nice and plump, and all about the same size. Mom has always been long and lanky, but she doesn't feel bony.

Zass":1j80iwbg said:
:yeahthat:
Most of my silverfox would get excessive cecotropes if fed pretty much anything other than hay and pellets. They didn't need boss or anything else to maintain condition, but it sure was frustrating trying to feed them any kind of natural diet.

Just wanted to say that my rabbits are mutts that started with NZW does and SF buck and that all the buns I now have are half to 3/4 SF and I don't feed pellets and natural feed is working well for them. Just another case of the difference perhaps not being in the breed but in the individual rabbit or line. And I also may feed BOSS to a nursing doe but stop feeding it once the kits are out and eating.

If the kits keep growing slowly and having soft stool, consider treating for cocci. Kits with a non-lethal level of cocci exposure will often have pot bellies and less muscle.

Zass":2sv65wvy said:
If the kits keep growing slowly and having soft stool, consider treating for cocci. Kits with a non-lethal level of cocci exposure will often have pot bellies and less muscle.

They are chunky, but they may be half Florida White... In fact, I'm pretty sure they are.
If so, Dad is built like a tank!
I guess the dam could have passed a low grade infection to her kits but not my other rabbits.
When I started this, I promised our budget that there would be no vet bills. The rabbits are livestock, and the dogs are expensive enough. But maybe I should ask my vet what they would charge to do a bunny stool check. It might give me a better idea about what's going on. <br /><br /> -- Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:57 pm -- <br /><br /> Update and another question:
I've been busy and this hasn't become an emergency. The dam has had these issues since I got her her, and she seems to have passed it to the kits. I weened them on Saturday and they're eating and growing. No other rabbits are affected, and they're all in close quarters. I have a vet appointment with a beagle on Thursday and just to be sure, I'll take a bunny specimen with me to see if they'll test it to rule out cocci or anything else.
I think you guys are right that it's a weak gut. Is Beni-Bac the recommended probiotic? Would it help?
I haven't found it locally and am having a hard time finding dosing information that would give me an idea on how much to order. I'm looking at the dam and 7 kits, or a total of 16, if it's a good idea to treat my entire herd. Oh, and powder or jell?
Thanks again! :)

Back