The fodder fairy...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
I got bit again this year. :oops:

The difference this year, is I have a little more incentive to get this right because I'm having some major feed problems, and the last straw was pulled. :evil: Fodder is feeling like a last resort lately, and it's coming along well enough that I have hope. Rabbits are doing loads better too, as they always do once they're off the iffy feed.

Anyway, it took a few years, but I finally convinced my dad to let me get a rack and keep it in the house! It has 4 shelves, but the 4th holds the water tray, so the rack can only hold 6 trays in the house. It was $40, but then I found it on sale for $20 so I bought a second...just haven't gotten it yet. :lol: It's like a mini greenhouse, I guess; just shelving with a plastic cover.

I did have some trouble figuring out how much to tilt the trays, how to water it, the whole deal with reusing the water...I did have a little bit of a mold issue, but I picked those bits out and the mats were fine.

This batch, I'm NOT re-using the water and cycling potential excess mold gunk through the entire rack. I'm only doing 1lb dry barley per tray, leaving the grain to soak in bleach water overnight (12ish hours), and was leaving them (drained) for another 12-ish hours in the soak bucket before going into the trays. Starting today, I'm setting the trays down flat to let the roots soak up the water for a few minutes before putting them at an angle again, and letting the grain get a 2 day head start in buckets with drainage holes before being put in trays. My soak bucket is marked in sharpie at the 1lb mark to measure dry grain, has holes poked in the lid, and a few along the side. Better than spilling it all over the sink trying to strain it. :oops:
All my "buckets" are just old margarine containers. :lol: I'm such a cheapskate.

I get so excited to watch grass grow. :popcorn: Like baby bunnies, somehow it just doesn't get old.

Attachments

• IMG_2019.jpg
    IMG_2019.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 1,166
  • IMG_2016.jpg
    IMG_2016.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 1,166
  • IMG_2015.jpg
    IMG_2015.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 1,166
  • IMG_1525.jpg
    IMG_1525.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 1,165
Looks great! I used an Ikea Trofast system the year I did mine :lol: but then we nixed our closet and now have clothes in it so there went that (some of the drawers still have holes drilled in the bottom :roll: ). I had to prop mine up a little higher using small pieces of wood - it's a bit of a balance getting them wet enough but also drained well.

This is our third winter growing fodder to feed our meat mutts. We've never recycled the water through the fodder. We water twice a day, morning and evening, and the 'used' water drains into a bucket and is used to water other plants in the greenhouse. I've wondered if that helped with mould. We get some when the weather warms up but not as long as it stays fairly cool. We also keep ours in the container they were soaked in for the first couple days, then spread them into trays. We use plastic coffee 'cans', I tried holes in the lids for draining but ended up with a mess when the lids came off. So now we soak in solid coffee can overnight, then pour into one with slits in the bottom in the morning and put the solid one under to catch the water. We grow wheat for fodder--can't get barley here.
And since I really believe spring is here in spite of the snow falling today, we'll soon stop growing fodder and start gathering forage as soon as the green things begin to grow.

Back