The classic: What coat type is this? Is this Astrex?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was curious if this kit may be displaying Astrex. My understanding is that Astrex is carried primarily in Rexes but it could be in other breeds as it is a mutation. Additionally, it would not be partial; it either is or it isn't Astrex. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The mother doe is a crossbreed of French Lop and ???? maybe Mini Rex (with standard, flyback fur) and the father buck is a purebred Mini Rex (with plush Rex fur). The kit had such a curly coat when it was really young, but it's less curly and more poofy now at 10 weeks. I would love to breed him back to momma to see if I get more curly/poofy coats but I am really overstocked on bucks (why couldn't he be a doe?). Neither his littermates nor his grandmother's litter (grandmother being the ???? maybe Mini Rex) with the same father Rex had a coat that looks like his.

I've had some fluffy babies in the past, but nothing like this. His coat is extremely soft, almost like just the undercoat of Rex. It looks similar to the rabbit in this post, but mine has a visibly less dense coat. And it's definitely less curly than @2CrazyFools's Avante-Garde Reza rabbits, though theirs is selectively bred for these genes so maybe that is why it's not as curly. There is no known angora in the lines, so I am doubtful it is wool. I would love any input into this as genetics is my weak point.

Please refer to the below photo timeline for more context.

Age: 9 days old. Gorgeous ears. Short, straight fur covering the body. Other than the ears feeling softer than "normal," the fur feels identical to every other kit I've raised.
1639676860244.png

Age: 16 days old. The coat is beginning to look curly. His uncle, 1 day older, is at the top for comparison. The picture doesn't even give it justice to the curls but they are apparent compared to standard flyback fur. It is silky smooth to touch. If you uncurl the fur with your fingers, they twirl right back into place.
1639677645316.png

Age: 20 days old. Very full, curly coat. It is not dense nor is it flyback. This is when it is beginning to get more poofy. It's very soft and silky at this stage. The curls still retain their shape if you straighten it with your fingers, but the curls are much looser than previously.
1639677400897.png

Age: 70 days old (today). His uncle, the same as two images above, is at the left for comparison. You can see there are remnants of curly coat but, for the most part, it's poofy rather than curly. It is noticeably different than the flyback coat. It is still super soft to touch and squishy. Almost like the same feeling as Rex but with absolutely no density. The curls are less of a lock all curling but now more of individual hairs being curly.
1639678659327.png

Last edited:
I am not sure what to think now. He is currently at age 74 days old and it seems his curls are getting fainter and fainter with time. I'm not even sure I'd call it curly now. Maybe just wavy? It definitely isn't straight and not flyback. Not even really rollback either. Just sorta poofs back out like Rex fur would.

1640039387536.png

Anyone have thoughts? I'm thinking I'll just make space to keep him for breeding, as I always do with these cool projects. I'd be interested in if his babies were curly kits like him.

That looks really interesting! Everybody could use another cool project, right?! Just curious, are the guard hairs the ones that are curly or the undercoat, too?

https://rabbittalk.com/threads/rabbit-coat-structure-genetics.33742/

I was just looking at this post (I am sure you are already aware of it) and noticed that they mentioned that Rex kits outgrowing their curls seems to be common. I don't have any experience with this, though. I learned about the furless gene there. Glad I did, too, because I was concerned about one of my Rex kits that has some of that balding going on. Yikes!

That looks really interesting! Everybody could use another cool project, right?! Just curious, are the guard hairs the ones that are curly or the undercoat, too?

At that point, everything was crinkly/curly. That said, the guard hairs were much curlier.

https://rabbittalk.com/threads/rabbit-coat-structure-genetics.33742/
I was just looking at this post (I am sure you are already aware of it) and noticed that they mentioned that Rex kits outgrowing their curls seems to be common. I don't have any experience with this, though. I learned about the furless gene there. Glad I did, too, because I was concerned about one of my Rex kits that has some of that balding going on. Yikes!

Thank you! I've been following a couple other posts and did see that some will outgrow their curls. However, none of my rabbits have ever molted and it seemed to be the primary factor of the curl loss.

I also learned of the furless gene, and honestly? I would love a hairless rabbit. I had a gorgeous Sphynx cat for a long time and I love the aesthetics. Not sure how handsome a selectively bred hairless rabbit would be, though!

My pretty boy has lost all of his curls now. He did not molt; they just gradually straightened with age. He is now at age 95 days with a completely straight coat throughout.

1641851971191.png 1641852013038.png

I will still keep him around for a litter or two with mum to see if we get more curls. Otherwise, I think this was just a fluke!

At that point, everything was crinkly/curly. That said, the guard hairs were much curlier.

Thank you! I've been following a couple other posts and did see that some will outgrow their curls. However, none of my rabbits have ever molted and it seemed to be the primary factor of the curl loss.

I also learned of the furless gene, and honestly? I would love a hairless rabbit. I had a gorgeous Sphynx cat for a long time and I love the aesthetics. Not sure how handsome a selectively bred hairless rabbit would be, though!
There was that line of furless rabbits developed by the Texas A&M University...

:) I can't go on that site right now, but I am sure it looks cute in its own unique way! Thanks for sharing! I saw a couple pics online; it is very interesting-looking!

Latest posts

Back