Test Breeding Results

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimplz

Rabbit Centric Fool
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Test bred my favorite buck to a REW.

My buck was said to be a Silver Fox crossed with an American Chinchilla.

The doe was said to be purebred New Zealand REW.

In breeding my buck to my American Chinchilla doe, I see a monotone nest. No whites, all have been either regular chin, light chin, blue chin, selfed black with white ticking, and selfed blue without ticking.

I suspect he has either a recessive c allele or the himi allele behind his cchd allele.

So here is pic of the 8 kits born to the REW I used for testing what is behind that cchd allele.

If he were only cchd cchd, they would all be Chinchillas, unless he and the doe passed on the self alleles, then solids are possible.

This test litter also tells me that the REW has Dd, since my buck seems to be a blue, he is dd yet there are dense colored agouti kits.

My confusion are the pinkish gray kits that are way lighter that what looks like some blues.

What do you genetic Rabbit Talk Gurus see in these kits at only a few hours old?

Attachments

• 20230301_144405.jpg
    20230301_144405.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Test bred my favorite buck to a REW.

The doe was said to be purebred New Zealand REW.

In breeding my buck to my American Chinchilla doe, I see a monotone nest. No whites, all have been either regular chin, light chin, blue chin, selfed black with white ticking, and selfed blue without ticking.

I suspect he has either a recessive c allele or the himi allele behind his cchd allele.

So here is pic of the 8 kits born to the REW I used for testing what is behind that cchd allele.

If he were only cchd cchd, they would all be Chinchillas, unless he and the doe passed on the self alleles, then solids are possible.

This test litter also tells me that the REW has Dd, since my buck seems to be a blue, he is dd yet there are dense colored agouti kits.

My confusion are the pinkish gray kits that are way lighter that what looks like some blues.

What do you genetic Rabbit Talk Gurus see in these kits at only a few hours old?
I actually do not see any agouti kits. At least there are none obvious in the photo - none of the ones on which I can see the ears have the light inner lining of an agouti. What I'm seeing looks like sable (the pinkish gray gray that are way lighter than the blues), and possibly blacks and blues.

If the buck is or carries sable <cchl>, breeding him to a REW would get you a nest full of sables.

I have a sneaking suspicion there may be steel popping out, too; see below.

He most likely does not carry recessive <c> or you would have gotten REW in the litter with the NZW. He also does not likely carry himi <ch> for the same reason - you'd have probably gotten himis with the NZW. (I say "most likely not" because there is a chance you beat the statistical odds and they could show up in another litter.)

The self blacks with ticking are suspicious; self chins don't usually show any ticking, nor do self blacks (unless it's simply scattered white hairs). Steel expresses as steel with an agouti allele, so if the buck carried Es you'd expect obvious steels when bred with a chin; however, if the steel allele randomly got hooked up with the self allele, you could have solid rabbits with what looked like ticking.

Could we see a photo of your buck?
Since he's called a silver fox x AmChin cross, do I understand that to mean he's blue with lots of scattered white hairs, or does he have ring color and the white inner ears, belly and undertail of a chin?

I know my rabbits are mutts, but I still find it fun to see if I can determine what will pop up in my litters. I am having fun learning how to identify genotypes based on phenotypes.

Please forgive my ignorance for terminology when I say agouti, I think maybe I mean chinchilla, because all of the kits my AM Chinchilla doe has had all start out with dark skin, and pink behind the ears, as well the belly, feet and legs.

Then they grow out to be chin colored, with defined rings just like thier dam.

When I bred the buck in question to my Chin doe, she threw 80% blacks and 20% blues, all the blacks were chins with definite rings. One blue doe had her base color blown up the shaft, whiping out the rings just like her sire's fur. Only she was an ashy color, not slate gray like her sire. She had white tips and silverish guard hairs.

Both my bucks from the SF AM Chin cross seem to change shades with the temps. They get darker when it is cold. It happens to thier entire body when it is cold, and only the nose when it is warm. That is why I wanted to test him with REW, to see what is in his C allele spots.

All the kits in this litter are expressing his C alleles. I am excited to see them grow and change. I will keep posting pics of the kits as they change over the next 6 weeks.

Here is the buck in question.

Attachments

• 20230302_231637.jpg
    20230302_231637.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230302_231618.jpg
    20230302_231618.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230223_201222_001.mp4
    9.7 MB
I know my rabbits are mutts, but I still find it fun to see if I can determine what will pop up in my litters. I am having fun learning how to identify genotypes based on phenotypes.

Please forgive my ignorance for terminology when I say agouti, I think maybe I mean chinchilla, because all of the kits my AM Chinchilla doe has had all start out with dark skin, and pink behind the ears, as well the belly, feet and legs.

Then they grow out to be chin colored, with defined rings just like thier dam.

When I bred the buck in question to my Chin doe, she threw 80% blacks and 20% blues, all the blacks were chins with definite rings. One blue doe had her base color blown up the shaft, whiping out the rings just like her sire's fur. Only she was an ashy color, not slate gray like her sire. She had white tips and silverish guard hairs.

Both my bucks from the SF AM Chin cross seem to change shades with the temps. They get darker when it is cold. It happens to thier entire body when it is cold, and only the nose when it is warm. That is why I wanted to test him with REW, to see what is in his C allele spots.

All the kits in this litter are expressing his C alleles. I am excited to see them grow and change. I will keep posting pics of the kits as they change over the next 6 weeks.

Here is the buck in question.
Ah, good clues! Don't feel like you have to apologize for ignorance - not a single one of us was was born knowing any of this! :) And we're all still learning, in part thanks to folks like you who share your puzzles and experiments with us! I totally agree, it is fun to see what pops up in litters with new crosses - I just had a gold-tipped steel pop up in my latest litter!?!?!? - and it's a blast to figure out the code behind the colors.

"Agouti" refers to a rabbit with the "wild type" ring color, and white belly/inner legs/undertail and lacing around its eyes, nostrils, ears. Agouti colors include chestnut (aka sandy, castor or copper), opal (aka blue agouti, being a dilute version of chestnut), amber (aka chocolate aguoti), lynx (aka lilac aguoti), and also chinchilla (aka light gray, which is a chestnut with the yellow pigment blocked), plus blue chin (aka squirrel), chocolate chin and lilac chin.

First, I'd say your buck is not a chin or a silver but a silver-tipped steel - having "base color blown up the shaft, wiping out the rings" and "white tips and silverish guard hairs" is a great description of a STS! His undertail and belly may be lighter but they will have a slate gray undercolor like what is visible on the nape of his neck. He doesn't really have the eye rings or silver lacing on his ears or nostrils of a chin, either. So his doe offspring with the AmChin doe would be called a blue silver-tipped steel, making her ashy instead of slate gray, which is a black silver-tipped steel.

The other observation is that rusty color on his nose and muzzle, which looks like what I've seen in rabbits being affected by a sable allele - it can make silver-colored rabbits look kind of muddy in spots.

So what I'm suggesting is that your buck is <Aa> meaning he has an agouti allele <A> (which is necessary to produce the color steel, though he does not look like an agouti) and a self allele <a> since he produced self black and blue kits.

He's <B_> meaning he's black based <B> (as opposed to chocolate <b>), but you can't say for sure what he carries at the second place.

As you know he's <Dd>since he is dense colored but produced dilute kits.

The big question is the "C-series" which is why you bred him to a NZW. Because he is silver-tipped, you know he has a chinchilla allele <cchd> which eliminates yellow pigment leaving silver in its place. Given his "muddy" nose and what look like sable kits with the NZW, I'm going out on a limb and guessing he has sable <cchl> in the second spot. The sable allele is also somewhat temperature sensitive, which would line up with what you're describing in his buck offspring. (He could still be <cchdcchd> if you find that those kits are not sables but instead some kind of self.)

So if he has agouti and chinchilla alleles, why is he not a chinchilla? The "E-series" genes include the dominant steel allele <Es>, which when it appears in a chestnut turns it into an gold-tipped steel (GTS), and in a chinchilla turns it into.... a silver-tipped steel (STS)! If he has <Es> in the first spot, he most likely has a normal <E> in the second place, since he produced some normal-looking chinchillas with the AmChin doe. But if a kit gets the <Es> without the agouti <A> but a self <a> instead, it looks like a self, but sometimes with "ticking" or scattered white hairs, like the black you described in the AmChin litter.

Incidentally, in this latest litter you might very well end up with more steels. In fact while I have (purposely) had very little experience with steels until recently, the dark kit on the bottom left made me think steel when I saw the lighter neck color but no light inner ears.
Inked NZW litter.jpg

I think your test breedings to the chin and NZW worked perfectly - you probably know almost his entire genotype now: <AaB_cchdcchlDdEsE> (with a possibility remaining of being<AaB_cchdcchdDdEsE> pending final identification of the newest kits. :D

Well done!

Last edited:
Ah, good clues! Don't feel like you have to apologize for ignorance - not a single one of us was was born knowing any of this! :) And we're all still learning, in part thanks to folks like you who share your puzzles and experiments with us! I totally agree, it is fun to see what pops up in litters with new crosses - I just had a gold-tipped steel pop up in my latest litter!?!?!? - and it's a blast to figure out the code behind the colors.

"Agouti" refers to a rabbit with the "wild type" ring color, and white belly/inner legs/undertail and lacing around its eyes, nostrils, ears. Agouti colors include chestnut (aka sandy, castor or copper), opal (aka blue agouti, being a dilute version of chestnut), amber (aka chocolate aguoti), lynx (aka lilac aguoti), and also chinchilla (aka light gray, which is a chestnut with the yellow pigment blocked), plus blue chin (aka squirrel), chocolate chin and lilac chin.

First, I'd say your buck is not a chin or a silver but a silver-tipped steel - having "base color blown up the shaft, wiping out the rings" and "white tips and silverish guard hairs" is a great description of a STS! His undertail and belly may be lighter but they will have a slate gray undercolor like what is visible on the nape of his neck. He doesn't really have the eye rings or silver lacing on his ears or nostrils of a chin, either. So his doe offspring with the AmChin doe would be called a blue silver-tipped steel, making her ashy instead of slate gray, which is a black silver-tipped steel.

The other observation is that rusty color on his nose and muzzle, which looks like what I've seen in rabbits being affected by a sable allele - it can make silver-colored rabbits look kind of muddy in spots.

So what I'm suggesting is that your buck is <Aa> meaning he has an agouti allele <A> (which is necessary to produce the color steel, though he does not look like an agouti) and a self allele <a> since he produced self black and blue kits.

He's <B_> meaning he's black based <B> (as opposed to chocolate <b>), but you can't say for sure what he carries at the second place.

As you know he's <Dd>since he is dense colored but produced dilute kits.

The big question is the "C-series" which is why you bred him to a NZW. Because he is silver-tipped, you know he has a chinchilla allele <cchd> which eliminates yellow pigment leaving silver in its place. Given his "muddy" nose and what look like sable kits with the NZW, I'm going out on a limb and guessing he has sable <cchl> in the second spot. The sable allele is also somewhat temperature sensitive, which would line up with what you're describing in his buck offspring. (He could still be <cchdcchd> if you find that those kits are not sables but instead some kind of self.)

So if he has agouti and chinchilla alleles, why is he not a chinchilla? The "E-series" genes include the dominant steel allele <Es>, which when it appears in a chestnut turns it into an gold-tipped steel (GTS), and in a chinchilla turns it into.... a silver-tipped steel (STS)! If he has <Es> in the first spot, he most likely has a normal <E> in the second place, since he produced some normal-looking chinchillas with the AmChin doe. But if a kit gets the <Es> without the agouti <A> but a self <a> instead, it looks like a self, but sometimes with "ticking" or scattered white hairs, like the black you described in the AmChin litter.

Incidentally, in this latest litter you might very well end up with more steels. In fact while I have (purposely) had very little experience with steels until recently, the dark kit on the bottom left made me think steel when I saw the lighter neck color but no light inner ears.
View attachment 34656

I think your test breedings to the chin and NZW worked perfectly - you probably know almost his entire genotype now: <AaB_cchdcchlDdEsE> (with a possibility remaining of being<AaB_cchdcchdDdEsE> pending final identification of the newest kits. :D

Well done!
I agree he has to have the cchdcchl, and my suspicions are now confirmed. I am so excited to see the kits change. It helps to see them at birth, and as they grow.

Thank you for all of your insight. I am now working on understanding how the extension alleles work with that pesky steel gene. I have so many questions.

For instance, I read that when the steel gene is paired with itself, the kit will be a false self. A solid color resembling a self, but the double steel (super steel?) gene has acted to blow the base color all the way up the shaft, even eliminating ticking all together.

I do not believe my AM Chin doe has the steel gene, or she would resemble my boys, with the grayish under bellies. Steel cannot hide with her pattern A genotype. I believe her geneotype is the normal EE, but how can I be sure except to test breed her as well? How would Ee affect her rings? What about wide band and non-wide band? How does that affect color and ring pattern or ring definition?

I also remember reading that when the steel gene is paired with E or is it e(?) it can blow the color out, but leave the ticking.

I should be getting my book in the mail soon. I ordered the ABC of Rabbit Colors and got the ARBA SOP last week.

I love my rabbit's coloring. The chinchilla is so gorgeous. I am not even sure my AM Chin doe is actually to the standards of what AM Chins should look like. She looks a lot like the examples in the SOP, but she seems, for lack of a better word, to light in color. I often wonder if she is a pearl or something, but then I remember she throws dense and dilutes.

I test bred her to a REW at the same time I test bred my buck. Here is her small litter. The litter size is our fault. We limited the fall offs on purpose. I am not sure if we need to breed her to the REW again. This litter tells me a lot about her geneotype and the REW. I knew he could be a broken, and that has to be where the spotted kits come from in this litter. My doe is not a spotted chin.🤣

I am curious about her banding and patterns in her fur shafts. It seems her base color is too light of a gray, her white or pearl banding seems longer than it should be too. I am going to attend rabbit shows this summer, not to show, but looking for a pedigree examples of proper ring definitionn and coloring. I am going with money and 3 empty cages.

Tell me what you see with this doe and her litter with a REW.

This fun. I am loving this!

Attachments

• 20230302_190424.jpg
    20230302_190424.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230302_231954.jpg
    20230302_231954.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I am so excited to see the kits change. It helps to see them at birth, and as they grow.
Yes, and taking pictures like you're doing helps even more. The C-series and E-series genes are tricky to begin with, and when you put them together, they produce some pretty astonishing color and pattern changes.

For instance, I read that when the steel gene is paired with itself, the kit will be a false self. A solid color resembling a self, but the double steel (super steel?) gene has acted to blow the base color all the way up the shaft, even eliminating ticking all together.
Two steel genes produce what's called a "supersteel" which can look like a self. In my mind it's kind of the like the broken allele, which is additive in its effect (one copy = broken, two copies = charlie). Frequently, though not always, there are some clues to the supersteel's identity in that you'll often find little areas of slight ticking on a supersteel, and you really should never see anything like that on a self. Note my use of words like "not always" and "usually" and "often" and "should never" because as soon as you say something absolute about genetics, you'll find an exception! :ROFLMAO:

Similarly, a steel that is also a self <aa> will often look like a self, with possibly some scattered white hairs or ticking - so, very much like a supersteel.

I do not believe my AM Chin doe has the steel gene, or she would resemble my boys, with the grayish under bellies. Steel cannot hide with her pattern A genotype. I believe her geneotype is the normal EE, but how can I be sure except to test breed her as well? How would Ee affect her rings?
I also remember reading that when the steel gene is paired with E or is it e(?) it can blow the color out, but leave the ticking.
I agree, if your doe with agouti and chin alleles was also <Es_>, she would look like a steel instead of a chinchilla.

You make a good point about the chances of non-extension <e> which made me realize that I made an unfounded assumption about the buck being <EsE>. He could still carry an <e> as long as the doe does not; and vice versa, she could carry it as long as he does not. All you really know for sure is that he is <Es_> and she is <E_>.

While the harlequin <ej> definitely has partial dominance issues, I haven't really found any evidence that non-extension <e> has any effect on the alleles further up the dominance ladder. Many of my coppers and chins have carried <e> (thanks to reds in their lines) and I've not seen it affect color or pattern when it comes in a single copy.

Steel <Es> extends the undercolor, non-extension <e> retracts it, but since steel is dominant, it would seem to me that there would be no effect on the steel expression when they're combined. (What say you, @judymac?)

What about wide band and non-wide band? How does that affect color and ring pattern or ring definition?
For correct ring definition, non-wideband <WW> is the genotype. Wideband <ww> of course messes it up by widening the middle ring. But I have noticed that coppers (chestnuts) that even carry one wideband allele <Ww> sometimes have subtly widened middle bands. It gives the color a very slightly brighter, slightly more reddish surface color than a normal copper, though not as much as double wideband does, so they can show well (depending on the preference of the judge).

I should be getting my book in the mail soon. I ordered the ABC of Rabbit Colors and got the ARBA SOP last week.
Wonderful! The ABC book is by far the best beginner book I've seen, and of course referring to the SOP with its (copyrighted) descriptions of the colors will bring it all together. You'll also see that breeds have different names for the same colors, and even different preferences for colors that are genetically the same. For example, the tan pattern on a Tan rabbit is supposed to be cleanly delineated without ticking, while the tan pattern on an otter Satin is supposed to have distinct ticking.

I love my rabbit's coloring. The chinchilla is so gorgeous. I am not even sure my AM Chin doe is actually to the standards of what AM Chins should look like. She looks a lot like the examples in the SOP, but she seems, for lack of a better word, to light in color. I often wonder if she is a pearl or something, but then I remember she throws dense and dilutes.
I am curious about her banding and patterns in her fur shafts. It seems her base color is too light of a gray, her white or pearl banding seems longer than it should be too. I am going to attend rabbit shows this summer, not to show, but looking for a pedigree examples of proper ring definitionn and coloring. I am going with money and 3 empty cages.
I agree, chinchilla is one of the most stunning colors in rabbits. Your doe looks like a normal black chinchilla. If she was a pearl (which is non-extension <ee>) she'd look frosty and not have any ring color. If she was a dilute (blue agouti aka squirrel), she would throw both dense and dilute kits when bred with a dense buck.

She does, though, seem a bit light in color. The wider middle band could explain that, and I would suspect a wideband issue. Do you have any idea what colors are behind her?

Here is a good example of (black, not blue) chinchilla coloration and ring color. A squirrel (blue agouti) would have a lighter undercolor and blue ticking instead of black.
Silverado surface color 2.jpgSilverado rings 3.jpg

Would you be able to get and post a photo of her ring pattern?

I test bred her to a REW at the same time I test bred my buck. Here is her small litter. The litter size is our fault. We limited the fall offs on purpose. I am not sure if we need to breed her to the REW again. This litter tells me a lot about her geneotype and the REW. I knew he could be a broken, and that has to be where the spotted kits come from in this litter. My doe is not a spotted chin.🤣

Tell me what you see with this doe and her litter with a REW.
All I can see at this point is that the two solids are not phenotypic agoutis since they do not have light inner ear lining, though that's not to say they couldn't be steels having the agouti <A>. If they're selfs, maybe black and blue... although that black looks a little suspect to me, it could easily be the lighting. As far as the brokens, it's too early to tell whether they're agoutis or not - on one I can't see the inner ears, and on the other I can't really tell.
So, other than what you've already deduced about the REW being a broken, I can't add anything until there's more fur on those babies!

Incidentally, limiting fall-offs doesn't necessarily reduce the size of the litter. I've had does with a single fall-off have 8-10 kits. There are other things that enter into it, like genetic line, size, age and condition of the doe and the season of the year. I haven't been able to find them yet, but there were apparently some big studies that showed that breeding a doe, removing her from the buck, and then rebreeding her an hour later improves conception rates and litter size. I haven't done any experimenting but that is the method I use, and I have pretty good luck getting good conception rates and very large litters (regularly 8-16 across all ages in my barn).

This fun. I am loving this!
Me too! :D

Last edited:
Yes, and taking pictures like you're doing helps even more. The C-series and E-series genes are tricky to begin with, and when you put them together, they produce some pretty astonishing color and pattern changes.

Two steel genes produce what's called a "supersteel" which can look like a self. In m mind it's kind of the like the broken allele, which is additive in its effect (one copy = broken, two copies = charlie). Frequently, though not always, there are some clues to the supersteel's identity in that you'll often find little areas of slight ticking on a supersteel, and you really should never see anything like that on a self. Note my use of words like "not always" and "usually" and "often" and "should never" because as soon as you say something absolute about genetics, you'll find an exception! :ROFLMAO:

Similarly, a steel that is also a self <aa> will often look like a self, with possibly some scattered white hairs or ticking - so very much like a supersteel.

I agree, if your doe with agouti and chin alleles was also <Es_>, she would look like a steel instead of a chinchilla.

You make a good point about the chances of non-extension <e> which made me realize that I made an unfounded assumption about the buck being <EsE>. He could still carry an <e> as long as the doe does not; and vice versa, she could carry it as long as he does not. All you really know for sure is that he is <Es_> and she is <E_>.

While the harlequin <ej> definitely has partial dominance issues, I haven't really found any evidence that non-extension <e> has any effect on the alleles further up the dominance ladder. Many of my coppers and chins have carried <e> (thanks to reds in their lines) and I've not seen it affect color or pattern when it comes in a single copy.

Steel <Es> extends the undercolor, non-extension <e> retracts it, but since steel is dominant, it would seem to me that there would be no effect on the steel expression when they're combined. (What say you, @judymac?)

For correct ring definition, non-wideband <WW> is the genotype. Wideband <ww> of course messes it up by widening the middle ring. But I have noticed that coppers (chestnuts) that even carry one wideband allele <Ww> sometimes have subtly widened middle bands. It gives the color a very slightly brighter, slightly more reddish surface color than a normal copper, though not as much as double wideband does, so they can show well (depending on the preference of the judge).

Wonderful! The ABC book is by far the best beginner book I've seen, and of course referring to the SOP with its (copyrighted) descriptions of the colors will bring it all together. You'll also see that breeds have different names for the same colors, and even different preferences for colors that are genetically the same. For example, the tan pattern on a Tan rabbit is supposed to be cleanly delineated without ticking, while the tan pattern on an otter Satin is supposed to have distinct ticking.

I agree, chinchilla is one of the most stunning colors in rabbits. Your doe looks like a normal black chinchilla. If she was a pearl (which is non-extension <ee>) she'd look frosty and not have any ring color. If she was a dilute (blue agouti aka squirrel), she would throw both dense and dilute kits when bred with a dense buck.

She does, though,seem a bit light in color. The wider middle band could explain that, and I would suspect a wideband issue. Do you have any idea what colors are behind her?

Here is a good example of (black, not blue) chinchilla coloration and ring color. A squirrel (blue agouti) would have a lighter undercolor and blue ticking instead of black.
View attachment 34661View attachment 34662

All I can see at this point is that the two solids are not phenotypic agoutis since they do not have light inner ear lining, though that's not to say they couldn't be steels having the agouti <A>. If they're selfs, maybe black and blue... although that black looks a little suspect to me, it could easily be the lighting. As far as the brokens, it's too early to tell whether they're agoutis or not - on one I can't see the inner ears, and on the other I can't really tell.
So, other than what you've already deduced about the REW being a broken, I can't add anything until there's more fur on those babies!

Incidentally, limiting fall-offs doesn't necessarily reduce the size of the litter. I've had does with a single fall-off have 8-10 kits. There are other things that enter into it, like genetic line, size, age and condition of the doe and the season of the year. I haven't been able to find them yet, but there were apparently some big studies that showed that breeding a doe, removing her from the buck, and then rebreeding her an hour later improves conception rates and litter size. I haven't done any experimenting but that is the method I use, and I have pretty good luck getting good conception rates and very large litters (regularly 8-16 across all ages in my barn).

Thank you for all of your insight. This conversation is too fun. I am falling all over myself to finally be able to testt breed these beautiful rabbits.

My husband and I got them for manure production 2 years ago from a lady who claimed they were Silver foxes. In my ignorance I had no clue, except she said they came with pedigrees. After we picled them up and paid for them, she said she would email me the pedigrees when she had internet access again.

I never got the pedigrees. After pestering her for 6 months, she finally admitted she never kept documentation. I can only go off the breeds I saw in her barn.

She had Californians, Chinchillas, and Silver Foxes. Or at least black rabbits that look exactly like the ARBA SOP for SFs.

She also mention that the two chinchilla does she has were her Silver Fox breeding does. That statement baffles me since they were both very clearly chinchillas. They looked just like my doe, only a bit darker.

So in her defense of me accusing her of her lying about thier breed and scamming me, she claims my bucks are "just expressing the traits inherited from all the rabbits used to create the SFs in the 1920s." Wt?

I know better now. However, in the last two years, I have fallen more and more in love with the coloring and the sweet docile nature.

So it no longer matters that I was scammed. I can take my trio, perfect my lines, and create pedigrees for anyone who wants one when they get one of my rabbits.

These two litters are already sold to a local livestock feed and pet store. I sold them my previous litter and they sold out of them in a couple of days. The REWs he bought from another breeder sat there for months until he got my stock. Then everyone who bought a chinchilla, also bought a REW.

Now, he is out of rabbits until these are ready.😍

Anywho, here are shots of my other buck. The buck we have been discussing is his brother from the same litter. I will have to get all of them out of thier cages to get better shots of the fur structures. I have pics saved in my tracker software on my computer, but none in my phone for easy upload right now.

These bucks have short, snap back fur that is so silky smooth. Unlike my doe, who has like and inch or so long hair that kinda roll snaps back in to place.

The fur genes are gonna be fun too. Wool, satin, rex, standard, silver fox. Oh my!

This guy is Bandit, brother to Sil.

Unlike his brother Sil, Bandit has defined rings where Sil's structure seems to have no defined rings. Bandit also seems darker than Sil.

I put a pic of Sil here so you can see them kind of side by side.

Even when they both get darker when it is cold, Bandit always seems darker, and Sil always seems more silver in color.

I have always fancied silver over gold, so it is no suprise I really like my Sil so much. Even more than him, my rabbit vision has eyes for Sylvia. I want more just like her. She is so sweet, comes to her name, and is a great mom. She also teaches her kits to poo in the back corner, and not the front. A bonus!😂🤣

We thought 2 fall off would be enough to get a litter of 5 to 7 kits for her. We bred her to Bandit this last time, he had 4 fall offs. She ended up having 9, one was a stillborn. We thought it was because of the 4 fall offs, she had ended up with too many in the womb.

We are still learning. Sil had 3 fall offs with the REW and we got 8 kits from that. The previous time we let him have 3 fall off with Sylvia, she has 7 kits that time.

We have just started breeding our rabbits going in to our 2nd year having them. These two bucks and my chin doe will be two years old in a couple of months.

We decided to not breed them until their 1st birthday, and if we had kept them alive and healthy for that long. These two litters are our 3rd and 4th litters over the last years time. This will be my chin doe's 3rd litter since her first birthday. These are our first litters testing with REWs.

I am happy that it seems, so far, that these guys do not carry the albino gene.

Attachments

• 20230302_231745.jpg
    20230302_231745.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230302_231714.jpg
    20230302_231714.jpg
  • 20230302_231637.jpg
    20230302_231637.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I never got the pedigrees. After pestering her for 6 months, she finally admitted she never kept documentation. I can only go off the breeds I saw in her barn.

She had Californians, Chinchillas, and Silver Foxes. Or at least black rabbits that look exactly like the ARBA SOP for SFs.
People are so strange. I don't understand offering a pedigree when you don't have it in the first place?!? But apparently it happens quite a lot.

So... maybe her rabbits were silver fox, or maybe not, and maybe she was making an honest mistake calling a steel a SF...maybe that's what someone else told her. At first glance, silver fox and steel can actually look quite a lot alike, particularly to beginners, and if you can't get your hands on the rabbits. It is especially true since there can be quite a lot of variation in how much silvering a silver fox has; and because both silver foxes and steels start out black and get more silvered/ticked as they grow, so the age of the rabbit affects its color.

Here's a silver fox:
1677918012948.png
And here's a steel (a New Zealand):
700.jpg
The best way to know a silver fox is to touch its fur. Of course quality varies, but a good silver fox has fur that stays exactly the way you push it. It does not roll back, not even slowly.

I know better now. However, in the last two years, I have fallen more and more in love with the coloring and the sweet docile nature.

These two litters are already sold to a local livestock feed and pet store. I sold them my previous litter and they sold out of them in a couple of days. The REWs he bought from another breeder sat there for months until he got my stock. Then everyone who bought a chinchilla, also bought a REW.

Now, he is out of rabbits until these are ready.😍
That's wonderful that you have an outlet for your rabbits, and even more wonderful that you have healthy, sweet and docile rabbits to sell. I think you are doing the rabbit world a service by selling beautiful tame bunnies. There are so many nasty-tempered meat rabbits out there that discourage new breeders. I feel good selling my sweet Satins, and having people come back years later for another, and sending people to me looking for gentle rabbits.

Anywho, here are shots of my other buck. The buck we have been discussing is his brother from the same litter. I will have to get all of them out of thier cages to get better shots of the fur structures. I have pics saved in my tracker software on my computer, but none in my phone for easy upload right now.

These bucks have short, snap back fur that is so silky smooth. Unlike my doe, who has like and inch or so long hair that kinda roll snaps back in to place.

This guy is Bandit, brother to Sil.

Unlike his brother Sil, Bandit has defined rings where Sil's structure seems to have no defined rings. Bandit also seems darker than Sil.

I put a pic of Sil here so you can see them kind of side by side.

Even when they both get darker when it is cold, Bandit always seems darker, and Sil always seems more silver in color.
These descriptions and pictures honestly have me confused me again and I'm second-guessing the steel a little. Bandit definitely has rings, but he seems to be lacking the typical agouti markings on his eyes, ears and nose, as well as the normal white triangle at the nape of his neck. And I can't find where you wrote it but I think I remember you saying they both had darker bellies, not white like the doe's - that's also more like a steel than a chin. They seem to have characteristics of both steels and chins. The darker shading on the nose seems off, too, but that could be a sable contribution... Curiouser and curiouser... I feel like I'm missing something here. @judymac, weigh in anytime! :)

I'll watch for a photo of Sil's fur when you find and post it, and also Silvia's.

Anyway, the bucks having "short, snap back fur" should put your mind to rest about them being silver foxes or even close crossbreeds. That's as far away from SF fur as you can get (except maybe rex!).

The doe's "inch or so long hair that kinda roll snaps back in to place" sounds like textbook commercial fur, which is appropriate for AmChin and other commercial/meat breeds other than SF, Satin, or Rex.

Even more than him, my rabbit vision has eyes for Sylvia. I want more just like her. She is so sweet, comes to her name, and is a great mom. She also teaches her kits to poo in the back corner, and not the front. A bonus!😂🤣
A keeper for sure! :love:

Thank you. I agree with everything you are saying.

I would never sell, or even give away a hard to handle rabbit. Any rabbit from me will not act like that. If they were not from my herd, I would take them in, and rehabilitate them. If I cannot rehabilitate it, then it goes to freezer camp.

Rehabilitation is easy, but takes patience and understanding. I have rehabilitated both of the REWs used for these test breedings, pluse three more does I was given, all of them from other breeders.

Every one of those are now easy to handle, even by kiddos. Breed is important, but I also believe that rabbits are intelligent and do what works. I show them what they are doing does not work to scare me off. I tell them, "I am gonna touch you anyway."

One doe was like a champion boxer, rearing up on her hind end and scratching, lunging, and generally trying to defend herself. She is now one of the first to submitt for lovins, and when she sees me, she just gets so happy and excited. She is a retired boxer now. 🤣🤣

More pics of the two test litters. The pic with spotted kits is from my AM Chin and a REW I believe is a Florida White. I was rold he is a New Zealand White, but he it too small and fits the ARBA phenotype for a FW.

The litter with all the dilutes is from Sil and a REW. The REW was said to be purebred NZW, and man is she gorgeous, and big. Sadly she lost a diluted kit this morning. We fixed the issue and she should not lose anymore, that way. This is always a make a mistake, learn and move on thing.

So many dilutes in both litters.

Attachments

• 20230304_112150.jpg
    20230304_112150.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230304_111559.jpg
    20230304_111559.jpg
More pics of the two test litters. The pic with spotted kits is from my AM Chin and a REW I believe is a Florida White. I was rold he is a New Zealand White, but he it too small and fits the ARBA phenotype for a FW.
He could be a small New Zealand, could be a Florida White, could just be a white rabbit. Lots of people look up pictures and decide their rabbit is a particular breed because it looks similar to a photo (like a spotted mutt rabbit being called an "English Spot"), or they were told by someone else incorrectly and innocently pass it on. I have found that many or even most rabbits being sold aren't exactly what they're claimed to be. Unless you've got a reliable pedigree you just can't know.

I think it's still too early to make a call on the color of the brokens but at least one and maybe both look like agouti or marten. The dark kit is looking like it has agouti markings and ticking as well. Chinchilla, or perhaps chestnut? The colors in the photo are a little weird on my screen so it's really hard to tell, but the light-colored kits look like they could be either particularly pale blues or lilacs (aka dilute chocolate, if so that would mean that both parents carried chocolate). I can't see the tails so I wouldn't even necessarily rule out sable, which at very early stages looks like a washed-out blue.

The litter with all the dilutes is from Sil and a REW. The REW was said to be purebred NZW, and man is she gorgeous, and big. Sadly she lost a diluted kit this morning. We fixed the issue and she should not lose anymore, that way. This is always a make a mistake, learn and move on thing.

So many dilutes in both litters.
I see one dilute, a blue on the far left. Then I'm guessing steel, possibly sable chin (?), and another steel. I'm still leaning toward sable rather than dilute for the three kits on the far right. Again, the colors on my screen are hard to trust, but I think I see slight shading on the tails of the two on the left side of the "sable huddle" and on the ear of the one on the far right. Comparing the photo with the picture of these kits when they were hours old, it looks like you lost the fourth sable.

Thank you. I am still learning here. I have not gotten any chocolate based colors as far as I can tell. So far every litter from him has been black based, some dense, some dilute, but no browns so far. Same with my chin doe, no signs of brown so far. In fact her litters to Sil and his brother have all produced black based dense, dilute, chins, self chins, and steels.

Of course, I could be wrong about the recessives just because I have seen it yet. I am excited to see them grow and change. I really want to know what I am looking at as far genes go. It is fun seeing the phenotypes and knowing what genes are responsible.

I had to pull 3 piggos out of the REWs nest because they were not letting the others eat. They are fat and sleeping it off right now. 🤣

Attachments

• 20230306_095053.jpg
    20230306_095053.jpg
Thank you. I am still learning here. I have not gotten any chocolate based colors as far as I can tell. So far every litter from him has been black based, some dense, some dilute, but no browns so far. Same with my chin doe, no signs of brown so far. In fact her litters to Sil and his brother have all produced black based dense, dilute, chins, self chins, and steels.

Of course, I could be wrong about the recessives just because I have seen it yet. I am excited to see them grow and change. I really want to know what I am looking at as far genes go. It is fun seeing the phenotypes and knowing what genes are responsible.

I had to pull 3 piggos out of the REWs nest because they were not letting the others eat. They are fat and sleeping it off right now. 🤣
That middle piggie is giving me fits. Now it's looking like maybe a chin or a squirrel (blue chin), since I don't see the shading I thought I saw in the previous Saturday post, see below:
InkedMystery Kit.jpg

In the latest photo it almost looks like a normal chinchilla, if a bit on the pale side. I've never seen a chin start out looking anything other than black, but in that very first photo (Thursday) were what looked like they might be blues, which is what a squirrel would start out looking like (except with light markings of an agouti). But I still wouldn't put any money on it yet!

It's very challenging when you can't look at the bunnies in person! But I like a challenge. :)

Last edited:
I agree it is very challenging. The lighting always plays tricks on me, but it is still fun and exciting to see the changes.

I am hoping to get some help from my husband getting better pics of fur shots on the parents, but it has to happen on his next day off.

I am super curious where the short, super soft fur structure comes from. My chin doe seems to have normal commercial type fur, but the boys . . . I am certain they do not have a chin fur type even though they are supposed to be half chin. The sire was supposed to be a SF, but they do not have that stand up fur type either.

So it would seem Sil is not an albino carrier. If he were carrying the recessive albino, surely at least ONE of the kits in this litter would be a REW. Right? At least that is why I test bred him to an albino. I wanted to know what was under the cchd.

That pesky extension allele and the steel genes are gonna be the real challenge. I have a big gorgeous black torte NZ doe I plan to use for the extension test breeding. She is the perfect temperment too, so sweet natured.

I will be breeding Bandit, Sil's brother, to a different REW this week. My guess is he is the same as his brother in color alleles, but different in the extension alleles.

I am not worried about the doe's genetics. She is a REW, her dad is a rew, her mom was a creamish colored New Zealand. She has siblings of all colors, solids and brokens. So it will be exciting to see her kits. I have her sister as well. She is a solid black NZ. Wonderful temperments too.

I wish I could breed them all at once and get test breeding out of the way. Although, I wonder how much it will matter once I get a purebred trio of AM Chins.

I hope to find them this summer at rabbit shows. The ARBA will be hosting a number of shows near me starting the first weekend in June, thru the summer until September I think. I am super excited to get to go to these shows. Most of the time the shows are more than 3 hrs away and I cannot go.

I have rabbit fever. It has taken me over and now I dream of guard rabbits. 🤣

Had an old co-worker tell me about a 45lb Flemish he had and it would act like a guard dog. It would chase off intruders, and dominate his nephew. They had to put the rabbit away whenever the little boy came around.

He said this rabbit would knock the boy down and hump him. Since the rabbit was as big as he was, the little boy could not fight him off. Can you imagine? 🫣

Two steel genes produce what's called a "supersteel" which can look like a self. In my mind it's kind of the like the broken allele, which is additive in its effect (one copy = broken, two copies = charlie). Frequently, though not always, there are some clues to the supersteel's identity in that you'll often find little areas of slight ticking on a supersteel, and you really should never see anything like that on a self. Note my use of words like "not always" and "usually" and "often" and "should never" because as soon as you say something absolute about genetics, you'll find an exception! :ROFLMAO:

Similarly, a steel that is also a self <aa> will often look like a self, with possibly some scattered white hairs or ticking - so, very much like a supersteel.

She does, though, seem a bit light in color. The wider middle band could explain that, and I would suspect a wideband issue. Do you have any idea what colors are behind her?

View attachment 34661View attachment 34662

I included pics with and without flash. Someone said that I easily could tell a dense from a dilute by the eye color. She has deep dark brown eyes, and her non-dilute kits all have the same deep dark brown eyes. Her dilute kits all have slate gray eyes.

I also thought she was a dilute for a while, until I found out the eye color thing. She seems to match part of the description for a AmChin, with dark brown eyes, agouti chin rings, light belly color, eye rings, etc . . .

Except that tail color, and the really wide white intermediate band. The tail is a gorgeous light silvery gray with white ticking instead of the black with white ticking. And the white middle ring is so wide.🙄

Attachments

• 20230414_011442.jpg
    20230414_011442.jpg
  • 20230414_011402.jpg
    20230414_011402.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230414_011305.jpg
    20230414_011305.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230414_011347.jpg
    20230414_011347.jpg