Temps and wind speed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rabbits can take cold temperatures, but they definitely need protection from the wind. I hope when you built the rabbitry you took the prevailing wind direction into consideration and placed the solid back facing that way.

If not, you will need to close it up soon. The best solution would be a wind-proof front that can be opened on calm sunny days. Ventilation is also important, so even when closed, the rabbitry needs enough air to prevent too much condensation from building up.

When my rabbits were in cages, I moved everything into a shed for the coldest months. From spring to late fall they had a wire enclosure something like a dog kennel under the weeping willow tree. So I really can't say what wind speeds apply. If you wouldn't care to be out in it for long, neither will the rabbits.

Providing a cardboard box to each cage as a temporary shelter will buy you some time. It's not a long term solution because the rabbits will have a lovely time chewing it to shreds. But it's better than nothing and is also a good thing to keep in mind for deep-freeze conditions if you get them in January and February.

There is a type of insulation that is like a foil bubble wrap. The brand name we get here is AYR-FOIL. It is easy to work with and provides good protection. I've used it for a variety of purposes with poultry and rabbits. In addition to whatever barrier you use on the whole rabbitry, a layer of this in front of each cage will give extra protection and can be rolled up on top of the cage when not needed.

With the weather so strange and extreme in many areas in recent years, you will need to be more vigilant than when we knew what to expect. It's a good idea to have a contingency plan in mind.

Note to all members:
Please add your location (province, state, or country, perhaps with a direction added like NW or SE) to your profile. Many rabbit questions require information about climate. You will get more and better answers if we have some idea where you are located.

Rabbits can take cold temperatures, but they definitely need protection from the wind. I hope when you built the rabbitry you took the prevailing wind direction into consideration and placed the solid back facing that way.

If not, you will need to close it up soon. The best solution would be a wind-proof front that can be opened on calm sunny days. Ventilation is also important, so even when closed, the rabbitry needs enough air to prevent too much condensation from building up.

When my rabbits were in cages, I moved everything into a shed for the coldest months. From spring to late fall they had a wire enclosure something like a dog kennel under the weeping willow tree. So I really can't say what wind speeds apply. If you wouldn't care to be out in it for long, neither will the rabbits.

Providing a cardboard box to each cage as a temporary shelter will buy you some time. It's not a long term solution because the rabbits will have a lovely time chewing it to shreds. But it's better than nothing and is also a good thing to keep in mind for deep-freeze conditions if you get them in January and February.

There is a type of insulation that is like a foil bubble wrap. The brand name we get here is AYR-FOIL. It is easy to work with and provides good protection. I've used it for a variety of purposes with poultry and rabbits. In addition to whatever barrier you use on the whole rabbitry, a layer of this in front of each cage will give extra protection and can be rolled up on top of the cage when not needed.

With the weather so strange and extreme in many areas in recent years, you will need to be more vigilant than when we knew what to expect. It's a good idea to have a contingency plan in mind.

Note to all members:
Please add your location (province, state, or country, perhaps with a direction added like NW or SE) to your profile. Many rabbit questions require information about climate. You will get more and better answers if we have some idea where you are located.
U can't figure out how to edit my profile to add the location details. I'm trying on an android device. Could that be why?

U can't figure out how to edit my profile to add the location details. I'm trying on an android device. Could that be why?
You can also just put your location in the message.

If it's above freezing in the day and the low is midteens I'd close up in the evening. However I'd also do so if the high is around 20.

Sorry, KelleyBee, I know nothing about Android or any of the newer ways to access the Internet. I still use a PC and have a land-line telephone. Just call me a technopeasant.

Perhaps someone will notice your post and give you a hand. Or do as A7736100 suggests and add it when you post about things that require that information.

You also could try putting it in your signature line.

Sorry, KelleyBee, I know nothing about Android or any of the newer ways to access the Internet. I still use a PC and have a land-line telephone. Just call me a technopeasant.

Perhaps someone will notice your post and give you a hand. Or do as A7736100 suggests and add it when you post about things that require that information.

You also could try putting it in your signature line.
Thank you. I figured it out using my iPad.
BTW make sure their water haven't froze in freezing weather.
Twice a day!

I have a setup very similar to yours! I live in Ontario Canada, and it gets down to -20c at the coldest part of the winter. When the weather is wet, and hovering around freezing (like it is this week), I draw a tarp across the front from left to right to block the wind. In the morning I open it up to let the sun shine in. The prevailing winds come from behind the hutch. I tried giving my buck a cardboard box last winter to keep him warm, but he was peeing in the box, which eventually lead to urine scalding on his hind legs, followed by a nasty infection. Inside the hutch is usually warmer than the outside air temp. It needs to get down below -10c for the water freezing to be an issue. Like you I check the water twice a day.

I have a setup very similar to yours! I live in Ontario Canada, and it gets down to -20c at the coldest part of the winter. When the weather is wet, and hovering around freezing (like it is this week), I draw a tarp across the front from left to right to block the wind. In the morning I open it up to let the sun shine in. The prevailing winds come from behind the hutch. I tried giving my buck a cardboard box last winter to keep him warm, but he was peeing in the box, which eventually lead to urine scalding on his hind legs, followed by a nasty infection. Inside the hutch is usually warmer than the outside air temp. It needs to get down below -10c for the water freezing to be an issue. Like you I check the water twice a day.
Amazingly, my 2 bucks are using a burrow box and not urinating inside. One of my does did urinate inside and she did get the urine scalding. Luckily she had the box only a couple days. I am hoping she will heal without further problems. I now give the box without a bottom and fill it with straw. I've not had any problems doing it this way. Thank you for your input. The prevailing winds for my rabbitry are coming on from the right hand side (west) looking at it in the photo above. So I've figured out that I've got to keep the canvas down on windy days and I leave the east side open (down but not pinned in place) during the day to be sure plenty of fresh air without the prevailing wind being a problem. At night I pin down the east side too, but leave a gap at the top for fresh air to control humidity.

Latest posts

Back