Temper no! Emergency need help now.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
I need help now temper is not eating or moving he is skin and bones and he can just about keep his head up I tried to give him coconut water and honey but he is not swallowing and he has diarrhea. My mother is trying to do acupuncture (without needles) on him. I already separate him from mouse and feather. and his gums are white not pale but white. this is how mus died and J I can’t lose another rabbit like this😥.

I already did that with liquid and honey he is doing better I think it is because of the honey but the honey is not supermarket it is black bitter medicinal honey that is 100% natural.

Rabbits can be given aspirin or inbuprofen but you‘d need to check dosage first..if he’s in pain that will help, but won’t solve the problem which sounds like stasis unfortunately… pale mucous membranes are not a good sign

This is a stab in the dark but could it be GI stasis? Try giving him baby simethicone. I don't know what you're feeding him but give him only grass hay for runny poop.

Sorry you're having these problems, Cosima. It's heartbreaking to lose rabbit after rabbit, especially when you don't know why it keeps happening. It's hard to offer good advice because you live in Indonesia and few of us have much knowledge about keeping rabbits in your part of the world.

The problem could be a disease but it is more likely related to diet. It might help to keep an account of everything you feed the rabbits to see if a pattern emerges.

You could also try contacting the people you get your rabbits from and find out if they have experienced this in their rabbitry and at the same time see if they can give you some advice about what to feed the rabbits in your locale.

Also contact the vet who treats your rabbits for advice about what to feed the rabbits and also about remedies for the diarrhea that you could keep on hand.

I know this does not seem like much in the way of help, but it's all I have to suggest at the moment.

EDITED TO ADD:
It just occurred to me to google raising rabbits in Indonesia. There is a lot of information there and I urge you to start reading it. Here's on link that should be helpful to start you off. These are top-off-the line rabbit authorities who I feel you can trust.
https://www.fao.org/3/U5700T/u5700T0d.htm
Good luck, Cosima. Wish there were more I could do.

~ Maggie

Last edited:
Cosima, I've poked around on the Internet a bit on your behalf. One of the best greens for rabbits -- as food and to treat diarrhea -- is broadleaf plantain, also called common plantain. The botanical name for it is Plantago major. It grows nearly everywhere and you can definitely grow it in Indonesia if you can't find it growing wild. Apparently it is sometimes called Ki Urat Plantago in Indonesia. Seeds for this plant can be purchased online from various sources. I urge you to devote some garden space to this important plant for rabbit health.

You can learn more about Plantago major here:
https://commonsensehome.com/broadleaf-plantain/

I hope you read up on GI stasis. If you don't bother, all your rabbits will probably die that way.

Back