Tattooing Qs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MamaSheepdog":2oz6pqqi said:
grumpy":2oz6pqqi said:
A few years ago, I came upon a really neat "Tattoo-Box". It's adjustable with a hole in the lid for the ear to "pop" out of it. The top locks into place, and the floor is adjustable up and down to raise or lower the rabbit to the required height.

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of it that you could post, would you?

In the article "The Gentle Art of Tattooing" the author mentions a box made by Fred Cremer of Bakersfield, CA that has an adjustable tilt and length feature. I did a google search on him, and he was a rabbit judge and director of the Kern County Rabbit Breeders' Association. Sadly he passed away in '02, but I am going to contact the club (and probably join) and see if anyone has the design for one of his boxes. I would be able to tattoo the bunnies without help if I had a box.

I'll see what I can do. My picture portion on my phone is on the fritz. This box looks to be professionally done. "Adjustable tilt and length" are two features it offers. Plus, adjustable height also.

Grumpy.

Thanks Grumpy. If you could post the dimensions and angle(s) of tilt I bet I could get my Hubs to make one for me- he could kerf the inner walls and then I could easily adjust the length and angles.

As many as you can fit. Some people only do one or two digits or letters, others make them longer.

Well that makes it even nicer...w/a pen you could fit soooo many! =D<br /><br />__________ Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:35 pm __________<br /><br />Got another Q.
What if you bought breeding adults, one has a tattoo and no pedigree. Other has a pedigree w/tattoo on the paper but none in the ear. Do you add a hyphen and then your own #, for the one w/a tat? One w/o a tat, put in what the paper has and then your own? I'm thinking that would work, because it would match the papers and in humans, a hyphen is to add on a name.

I think if you added anything to it you would invalidate the pedigree. The one without the tattoo should not have been sold that way- it could be anybunny. I don't know what the right thing to do in that circumstance is. :?

My original stock came tattooed, and especially if I were to buy more outside stock I think it is kind of handy in that they aren't marked with my method so it is obvious I didn't breed them.

ChickiesnBunnies":2xgcy5r7 said:
Well that makes it even nicer...w/a pen you could fit soooo many! =D

__________ Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:35 pm __________

Got another Q.
What if you bought breeding adults, one has a tattoo and no pedigree. Other has a pedigree w/tattoo on the paper but none in the ear. Do you add a hyphen and then your own #, for the one w/a tat? One w/o a tat, put in what the paper has and then your own? I'm thinking that would work, because it would match the papers and in humans, a hyphen is to add on a name.

IF the rabbit already has a tattoo, that is what you use. If the rabbit has a pedigree with a number listed but no actual tattoo, how can you be sure that the rabbit is the actual one reflected on the pedigree? If you are showing, the rabbit needs to match it's pedigree. I think only one number is what is typically used.

No showing here.
What about rabbits I buy that have no tattoo because the breeder doesn't do that? I was going to give them my tat, but instead of litter #, put a B for "bought breeder."

Well, someone should of told me the needle does not come out more than a millimeter and that there would be a thick black glob of ink blinding me...lol. Should of practiced on the dinner rabbits..ugh! But that glob blinding my view will take serious practice. How do I see what I'm doing???

ChickiesnBunnies":299qufcx said:
No showing here.
What about rabbits I buy that have no tattoo because the breeder doesn't do that? I was going to give them my tat, but instead of litter #, put a B for "bought breeder."

If they are sold without a tattoo, but the pedigree has a #/name, use those. If sold without anything, then feel free to assign a #/name.

Well, someone should of told me the needle does not come out more than a millimeter and that there would be a thick black glob of ink blinding me...lol. Should of practiced on the dinner rabbits..ugh! But that glob blinding my view will take serious practice. How do I see what I'm doing???

I have heard to mark it with a different colored sharpie...?

You just cannot see a thing, maybe others wipe the ear after each stroke? Otherwise, it's so danged tricky! Wonder if I can get more of the needle to show, it would help so much if I could.

ChickiesnBunnies":3w46zrjy said:
Should of practiced on the dinner rabbits..ugh!

Now, that's funny raht thar- I don't care who ya are... :rotfl:

ChickiesnBunnies":3w46zrjy said:
Well, someone should of told me the needle does not come out more than a millimeter and that there would be a thick black glob of ink blinding me...lol.

You are using too much ink! :eek: Happens easily ;) - just dip the needles in the ink, and they will wick it up. It was really tricky for me at first too because of that. Messy too. You can wipe out the excess ink- that way you can see the mark and go over it again if you want it darker. Good luck! And don't worry- it gets easier! :D

Not really worried about them, more the next owner and the face they will make when they see the crappy tattoos...lol. Shaving a sheep is scary and worrisome, have half a sheep done. =D
Makes me wonder if random people aren't using these cheap pens to tattoo on themselves?

Haha. You know they are!! My son's friend wanted to use my clamp tattoo kit to try it out. Kids are so goofy at 14. Of course, I said absolutely not, but they gave me a good laugh.
I use CR and then the # I am on. I too am a records freak and keep all the duplicate pedigrees and who I sold to. I had two rabbits that I got from a breeder who did not have a kit so I asked if I could mark them and I did it here. I put the ear tag that we chose on the pedigree.
I was given permission so I assume it was okay.
I like the clamp. It is quick and they don't have time to flip out. I have had a few scream. I like the ice idea it might keep that from happening .

ChickiesnBunnies":3ldxh1tk said:
You just cannot see a thing, maybe others wipe the ear after each stroke? Otherwise, it's so danged tricky! Wonder if I can get more of the needle to show, it would help so much if I could.

There is a way to get more of the needle out... i believe an adjustment tiny screw.... need to check Your directions... We also will wipe the Outside edge of the needle sheath before putting the needle to the bunny ear... that has reduced the 'blobbing' of the ink a lot. :bunnyhop:

I did shake it once downward to get the ink I saw out of it. Didn't seem to help. Maybe it's just a EquaTat issues?

Latest posts

Back