Tangeled lies about frying pans... #Graphic!#

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zab

Reaction score
This event is pretty graphic. No pictures though.

So, the movie Tangeled lies about frying pans. They're poor weapons. I'd never arm a guard or horse with a frying pan.

Yesterday night was quite..., absurd, and pretty morbid. A friend and I went to buy some milk so bake cupcakes when I suddenly decided to go deer-hunting with my car. (Yes, that means a poor deer hopped out and got hit, of course it's an accident)

I really had no chance to avoid it, I was driving pretty slow and it just hopped into my right front light and was thrown off the road. Still alive but unable to get up, injured legs and what seemed like a fractured neck. I cursed myself for not putting the knife in my car as I've the past few monbths been thinking I should keep one there... but all I had was some clothes, a wallet, car keys...and a frying pan of cast iron. You can probably guess my next move.. it was in pain, I had no proper tools.. my friend called my dad to come with a knife and I attempted to make it pass out in the meantime, at least then it wouldn't be in pain. It was a young doe, a roebuck. I hit the forehead first, like I do with my rabbits, but either because it has a thicker scull or because there was no hard surface to stop the head from just moving, it had no effect. I wish it worked like in movies.. *sigh* So I angeled the stupid pan and tried to hit between the atlas and the scull instead. It had some effect, the poor thing passed out and twitched a bit, but woke up again after a couple of minutes.. so I did it again. Sitting in the woods hitting a deer with a frying pan ... so absurd! Not my plan for the evening! I couldn't see ny good rock or tree branch either.. My hope is that it was in so much chock and full of endorphines it didn't feel much.. it didn't scream or bark, the eyes just looked very groggy..

Dad eventually came with the knife and debleed it. I wanted to but he didn't give me the knife.. it's probably stupid, but I have some feeling that I hit it and caused pain, I should be the one ending the pain.. anyone see any reason in this? Plus, dad's way more soft-hearted than I, I know it pained him more. I think he might have subconciously wanted to spare me, in a way.. some parental instinct maybe...? But it died at last and that's the important thing.

I guess we should have left it there, but.. it felt so disrespectful to take a life and just waste it.. I gutted it and brought it home, where I dressed it and so forth. It had several broken ribs, a torn up leg and a bad bruise -possible fracture- at the back. At least it was right to not let it lie there and hope the shock would wear off..

I could have called wildlife people, but the thing is that a couple of years ago we found a roebuck someone else had hit on a larger road, and that was still alive. That time I acted like the good citizen and called them, they sent someone and we waited for over 2 hours for a hunter to come. We tried to keep that deer in place, but it ended up getting away, with one leg just hanging beside it, and disappearing into an area with houses and gardens. I don't want to experience that again, and I suppose that's why I decided to fix it myself. Even with my clumsy ways o have it pass out and not having the proper tools, it cant have been more than 10-15 minutes.. it's just a couple of km away from home. Sure beats waiting two hours while being in pain..

Part of me thinks: I did my best, it had to be put down and unconsious is better. It is disrespectful to waste its life by not using the meat, and it would be hard to walk there and see the body decay nd get reminded..and kids may walk and see it..
Another part think: Something's wrong with you! Girls in the 2013 doesnt go out and cut up roadkill! They get all chocked and sobs and screams and get irrational! You're not supposed to be that cold and thinking logically in that situation! Where's your humanity?!

My friend is awesome. She's half-vegetarian but she took it calmly. She stayed and watched the work and offered comfort. Said she found it interesting and did compliment my way of acting, she didn't know what to do at all, she said. I'm happy she was there with me, and I'm very happy that the three guys seeing me gutting the poor thing was teenage boys with some sort of surprised reason (they definetly saw the reasoning at least) rather than a hysterical horselady (not that horses are bad, but I know some of the horsepople around here and I'm not sure they wouldn't find my actions unthinkable)..

Well.. I didn't get any milk and the cupcakes had to wait untill today, but we're unharmed. The roebuck's not suffering anymore, my car broke a light and some spray-thingy but is otherwise fine and my friendship with my classmate is not wrecked. Plus we have a few pounds of meat in the fridge and the dogs are happy.

But.. it feels like a strane, absurd nightmare. Everything from sitting and hitting a deer with a pan to washing away the pool of blood in the garage with shavings to absorb it.. It's just..strange.
Now I have a knife in my car, but I'm not attempting any new deer hunts with my Volkswagen Golf..

And still not much of an internet, I managed to connect my phone to my poor old laptop though..

Sorry you had to go through that, but I don't blame you for not wanting to leave it there either. I'm always wanting to pick up roadkill (I have a thing for tanning animal skins!) myself, but you can get in a lot of trouble for it here. Actually, if you hit a deer and take it without calling the Department of Wildlife here, you can get nailed for poaching. If you hit one and call, they will usually let you keep it if nothing is suspicious, but then if you drew a hunting license that year it is counted that you've already filled your tag. I would certainly call, but so far I've been lucky enough not to hit one!

We're supposed to tell the land owner I think.. but really.. If they decide to punish me for acting the best way I can in an accident, let them. I have no hunting license either.
Although I don't really see how anyone gouvernmental would find out. Maybe the landowner will hear some rumours but then I'll sort it with him... not that I really know who it is or I'd called today or something.

I was always under the impression, here and Pa, that if you hit it, you are obligated to take it with you if possible. There are on a list, and the state patrol or sheriff will call, and they come and collect the carasses for whatever reasons. If I ever hit a deer and live to tell the tale, I hope I would have someone to get it for me. Not sure how I would get it dress, but I guess the dogs could eat it as is?

San I think you reacted well in the situation. Sounds like you are a logical, thinking survivor. When I was about 20 I hit a cat with my car. It was still alive. I found the owner and he didn't care that it was suffering. I asked if he had a knife or bat so I could finish it off but he said no just leave it. He was going to just let it die slowly and in pain. I picked up a log of firewood and finished it off and tossed the wood in his pile. I'm glad you can't let anything suffer. Glad you took the meat. At least it's death had purpose.

I've deer hunted with a car before - it's expensive! I highly suggest you use a gun or bow next time ;)

I think you did the best you could with what you had. :) enjoy your venison

- this reminds me of a story - A friend of my husband brought us dinner one day - a large BBQed raccoon. I was intrigued because I don't know this person hunted coon and was wondering if he had hounds - My Husband looked at me like I had fallen off my rocker when asking about friend's Hounds and said "Wheels,He doesn't have dogs he ran it over!" :lol: I have to admit it was pretty tender ;)

My sons were out cutting wood while hubby and I were gone to a meeting. They came across a doe that had legs caught in a barbwire fence. She had a broken hip and had been there for a while. They didn't have a gun with them but they did have an axe. The story sounded pretty gruesome and the son that did the deed is an avid hunter and marine.

Now, a cast iron skillet would be a real job.

Conversation I had with the dispatcher last fall when a doe hit my car.

"The deer is still kicking around in the road, can I drag her off to the shoulder?"
"Ma'am, please do not touch the deer."
"Well, she looks like she's in a lot of pain. I have a knife-"
"Ma'am, please remain in the vehicle. Do not approach the deer."
"I can get her really quick with the knife."
"Please stay in the car, ma'am. The officer will take care of the deer."
"Someone's going to hit her if she keeps rolling around in the road. I really should move her."
"MA'AM, DO NOT EXIT THE VEHICLE."
"I've got my pistol here, it would be really quick and wouldn't hurt her a bit."
"STAY IN THE CAR AND WAIT FOR THE OFFICER PLEASE MA'AM."

We hit a deer once... it was awful. It actually was already hit, and all the passing cars kept hitting it... it tried to get up but kept getting knocked down... luckily my dad was there, and he shot it.

You did fine in that situation. I know its a terrible experience, but you did the right thing and someone put it out of its misery as soon as possible.

Back