Tamuk Lop??? Too Lazy to Hold His Ears Up??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits by Accident

Reaction score
@Mini Lop Mama thread about a lop not lopping got me curious about my big boy. I have a chocolate (correct me if that's not right) minky (again, corrections please) (His hair is really nice chocolate brown with other colors mixed in)

This was him at 8 weeks old: (sorry don't have the pic on my tablet so had to download from Craigslist listing)
00H0H_2PCdQfynjl8z_0oc0i9_600x450.jpg

But, the question is about his ears. I breed for big ears - he has HUGE ears. He's also a big guy - 6+ lbs at 11 weeks. He held his ears up for the first 5-6 weeks, but then he started letting them droop more and more often, and now he hardly ever lifts them up. I think it's just because he's lazy and they'r HUGE. He looks like Eeyore LOL

This is him at 11 weeks:
IMG_20220508_191930751.jpg

So, do you think he will ever hold his ears up?

-- Liz

@Mini Lop Mama thread about a lop not lopping got me curious about my big boy. I have a chocolate (correct me if that's not right) minky (again, corrections please) (His hair is really nice chocolate brown with other colors mixed in)

This was him at 8 weeks old: (sorry don't have the pic on my tablet so had to download from Craigslist listing)
View attachment 29687

But, the question is about his ears. I breed for big ears - he has HUGE ears. He's also a big guy - 6+ lbs at 11 weeks. He held his ears up for the first 5-6 weeks, but then he started letting them droop more and more often, and now he hardly ever lifts them up. I think it's just because he's lazy and they'r HUGE. He looks like Eeyore LOL

This is him at 11 weeks:
View attachment 29688

So, do you think he will ever hold his ears up?

-- Liz
Wow, beautiful boy! Do you have pedigree for him? I wonder if his ears will lop later in life, they are obviously huge and heavy so it may not be too much longer. If you have pedigree, I'd love to see it and help you!

Wow, beautiful boy! Do you have pedigree for him? I wonder if his ears will lop later in life, they are obviously huge and heavy so it may not be too much longer. If you have pedigree, I'd love to see it and help you!
Thank you! He is so sweet I really don't want to eat him. He is a tamuk and as far as I know there really aren't many pedigrees for them. I bought one that said it was a pedigreed Tamuk and the guy said yeah not so much LOL and told me a couple random rabbit names. Hershey is from my sweet buck and giant doe and that's all I know. Because they are a composite breed I'm fairly sure they can't be registered or anything.

ear control has NOTHING to do with laziness. It has everything to do with how the cartilage and head set is. Sometimes, in young rabbit the way their head is changing and heat factors can all play a role in what is going on with their ears. ALSO if you don't know what breeds are behind him, he could have a lop breed in him.

Okay, so I was thinking this was a lop.

Yes those are massive ears and they will be heavy. I doubt they will flop completely. This does not mean he's lazy of course but if that was a joke, I get it 🤣🤣😉

Thank you! He is so sweet I really don't want to eat him. He is a tamuk and as far as I know there really aren't many pedigrees for them. I bought one that said it was a pedigreed Tamuk and the guy said yeah not so much LOL and told me a couple random rabbit names. Hershey is from my sweet buck and giant doe and that's all I know. Because they are a composite breed I'm fairly sure they can't be registered or anything.
What's wrong with his ears loping??? Didn't you breed him for that?

He is a Tamuk. They do not have lop ears, nor do they have lop ears in their ancestry. I have noticed that his sister lets her ears fall just like that when she is hot and/or tired. So I think he's just lazy as he CAN hold them up when he wants to LOL. We shall see, or we shall eat him before we see. ;)

He is a Tamuk. They do not have lop ears, nor do they have lop ears in their ancestry. I have noticed that his sister lets her ears fall just like that when she is hot and/or tired. So I think he's just lazy as he CAN hold them up when he wants to LOL. We shall see, or we shall eat him before we see. ;)

I know, right? I really really really really really don't want to butcher him. .... but I can't keep him, and for some reason there aren't many people looking for rabbits right now, or there are a lot of rabbits for sale.

ear control has NOTHING to do with laziness. It has everything to do with how the cartilage and head set is. Sometimes, in young rabbit the way their head is changing and heat factors can all play a role in what is going on with their ears. ALSO if you don't know what breeds are behind him, he could have a lop breed in him.
So, if it is a lop, his ears should be attached more to the sides of his skull? and his skull would be broader? His ears seem to be attached in the center of the top of his skull with little to no space between them, but his skin is stretchy LOL.

oh, he is totally lazy. He lays around all day, except early morning when he apparently wears himself out. His dad and mom are very lazy rabbits too LOL but he is the laziest of the bunch. Even as a tiny kit he was lazy, he was the one who would lay in the feeder and eat all day LOL

(well, this was supposed to be in reply to @Mini Lop Mama ... don't know why it came up like this)

Tamuks are not a recognized ARBA breed but that doesn't mean they can't have a pedigree in the sense that at its lowest meaning, pedigree is simply the ancestry of a rabbit out 3 generations. If you are serious about Tamuk, what you are looking for in that ancestry is rabbits that came out of the program at the college or evidence that the breeders stock can be trace back there. It will get harder now that the program has been shut down.

Tamuks were bred to have large upright ears with less hair covering to radiant heat for their heat tolerance. I do have some that are "full" Tamuk whose ears flop at times in their growth. Most of the time, this resolves itself though I have seen mature Tamuks whose ears are often at "half mast."

Your rabbit looks like he could be full Tamuk. They typically have nice personalities. FYI, the breeds that went into the Tamuk are in this blurb.
New Zealand Red, Siamese Satin, Californian, New Zealand white, Dutch, Champagne d'Argent, Harlequin and Havana.

Composites - A new breed - About 30 years ago, Dr. Lukefahr began crossing different breeds for backyard meat production to feed his own family. Another objective was steady production, which is enhanced by hybrid vigor due to crossbreeding. Yet another aim was choosing breeds that harbor major genes for coat color. As a result of crossing seven breeds over the years (in chronological order: New Zealand Red, Siamese Satin, Californian, New Zealand White, Dutch, Champagne d’Argent, Harlequin, and Havana), this composite breed now possesses all of the major genes for coat color. In the photo to the left, nine rabbits from the same litter are each of a different color! Examples of colors in this population include agouti and black, blue, chocolate, and lilac, creme and opal, seal and siamese, chinchilla, himalayan and albino, and steel, harlequin (japanese and magpie), and red. In the photo to the right, a seemingly rare magpie-californian rabbit is shown. As a family activity, this color feature will hopefully pique the curiosity and active interest of children. Also, the skins can be tanned using the natural colors (without dyeing) and made into products that can be sold, for example, at farmers markets. Lastly, this population was recently crossed with our commercial Tamuk NZW line to infuse genes for production for vital traits such as fertility, litter size, milk production, and growth, while adding some additional hybrid vigor as a boost to performance. It should also be pointed out that these rabbits are heat tolerant with adaptive characteristics that include long ears and thin fur coats. Several breeders now in different states are reporting good production success with this new breed. However, an important point is that this breed better suited for small-scale backyard production. It is not a commercial breed. Also, some breeders place order for only white (albino) animals if they are selling fryers commercially where a premium is paid for white body fur. Try a breeding trio!

Back