taming colony rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Tonight I wanted to show my husband how big the creme d'argent mutts were and pulled out a black one to hand to him. He must have grabbed it a little too firmly because it started screeching and wouldn't stop until I'd cupped it loosely in my hands for awhile. I had to dig out a calmer one for him. What do you do about taming colony rabbits and catching them when you are ready to do something with them? I'm not too concerned since they are only the meat rabbits but I've seen cottontails bash themselves to death on walls and I'm worried with no human handling even the domestics might be pretty bad. Am I going to be butchering screeching rabbits in a couple months or will they calm down after they start coming out of the nest while we're around?

They see you every day, so they're not "panicked to death" by humans. Depending on the size of the colony (physical size of pen) you should be able to corral the kits every couple of days and pick them up. Even a LITTLE handling gets them out of the "OMG i'm gonna DIE" stage.

Screeching...some of the kits just do that. And once they start, I've noticed the young ones won't stop.

I know there are some with a straight colony setup outside who don't go inside much. Feeding can be done from the outside, watering. I'm inside 2x a day, and always try to pick up the kits. Mostly to keep them used to a human. (also because I just love picking up kits!)

Even if you don't pick them up..if you bend or stoop down and put your hands on the ground..around the feeder, etc. ...wherever they are..they'll get used to you. I realized fairly early with the colony that they don't associate my feet (which they are used to and climb all over :roll: ) with my hands. OMG! HANDS! RUN AWAY!!! Once I started to bend down and mess around in the feeder with my hands, and occasionally run my hand over a kit..they got used to my hands in the same way as my feet.

Anntann":wn67dati said:
I'm inside 2x a day, and always try to pick up the kits. Mostly to keep them used to a human. (also because I just love picking up kits!)

Even if you don't pick them up..if you bend or stoop down and put your hands on the ground..around the feeder, etc. ...wherever they are..they'll get used to you. I realized fairly early with the colony that they don't associate my feet (which they are used to and climb all over :roll: ) with my hands. OMG! HANDS! RUN AWAY!!! Once I started to bend down and mess around in the feeder with my hands, and occasionally run my hand over a kit..they got used to my hands in the same way as my feet.

I've had all the same observations! Rabbits that act like they're dying if you pick them up will literally sit there and gnaw on my boot while I'm doing other things.

Seems like it takes very little handling to keep them from getting too crazy wild.<br /><br />__________ Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:13 pm __________<br /><br />
Anntann":wn67dati said:
I'm inside 2x a day, and always try to pick up the kits. Mostly to keep them used to a human. (also because I just love picking up kits!)

I've had all the same observations! Rabbits that act like they're dying if you pick them up will literally sit there and gnaw on my boot while I'm doing other things.

Seems like it takes very little handling to keep them from getting too crazy wild.

I have a method that works for me. First, my litters are not born in the coloney, they are born in 8x4 hutches. The kits are handled every day once their eyes and ears are open. They are talked to and cared for just like if they were to be house pets. Once moved to the pens they are calmer. Every night and morning I feed cerial. I have a chair in my pens where I sit and talk to them and they come and beg for treats or eat at my feet while I pet them. This time spent just in the pen with them is good. You have to spend time with your rabbits for them to know you. Think about this. For 65 million years rabbits have been food for humans, now you want them to like you in one or even 4 generations? not going to happen.. you have to earn it with kindness, slow movements and time spent.

IaJewel is an example of what you CAN do with a colony...however most of us don't have the time, unfortunately. Many colony raisers have the rabbits as purely meat. It's faster and easier to raise them together. :shrug:

It's all about how much time you want to spend on them. If you want tame rabbits from a colony..you need to start from day one and be consistent.

that said...if you need to tame a few down for a show, or selling, and you haven't been paying much attention to them, you can take them out..maybe a couple together, and put them in smaller pens or a large cage. They rapidly become accustomed (if not "tame") to the HUMAN!!

True, I have cages, but my kindle cages are enormous and inconvenient to catch rabbits in. If I want a youngster to be extra calm, it spends a few months in a much smaller individual cage, that even my kids can reach the back of--and then the kids and I just lavish them with attention. They get treats, pets, tail, feet and face handled daily, and packed around under my arm while I feed and do chores.

I got the idea from a chicken forum for gentling agressive roosters, you just carry them around and they eventually realize nothing happens, and settle right down. I think it works better on rabbits than roosters!

eco2pia":upxqse27 said:
I got the idea from a chicken forum for gentling agressive roosters, you just carry them around and they eventually realize nothing happens, and settle right down. I think it works better on rabbits than roosters!
:rotfl: true! true! Rabbits don't tend to look at you as FOOD!

I will admit Im simi retired. There for I have all kinds of time. Im a writter so Im home all day in my bunny slippers pecking away at the key board or out side with the rabbits. I even have rabbits in my office. Yes, I have time most people don't, and I have land that not everyone has. I will say this. If you don't have time to take care of what you have, cut down to what you can care for. If your not happy with what you have, if its not working for you, then cut down so it will. I can house 500+ rabbits.. actually its unlimited as to what I can house. I have 10 rabbits and 2 are bred. My last litter was born last April. I had one litter last year. I will have 4 this year. I can do what I do, because I don't over load myself what what I can't do. Keep it fun, Keep it simple and it will always work better for you. This I promise.

Latest posts

Back