Tale of a little rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Small holland lop doe had five kits. All fairly small.
Decided mothering was not in her mental framework. Kits were cold by the time I found them, two perished.
Fostered them to a PROVEN fostering doe.
She decided that she was not into raising babies either. ARGH!!
Fostered them to a third doe after losing two of the fosters. Had a large litter already and is known to not care well for too many kits. And wee one would definitely get lost in the mix.

said ack..i'm going to lose that last wee little one from the small doe. Bet when it gets to four weeks old it will start fading. it did well until 3 1/2 weeks and started to look a little peeky and at four weeks....

And... it did.
Got the runs, acted poorly, So I pulled it out and thought to cull and then got the radical notion...

Why not try chives and grass and see what happens? The worst that happens is it up and dies which would happen anyways.

and you know what... slowly but surely that kit turned around.
It's actually hopping again!!! it's taken a solid week and I'm not totally confident that it will make a full recovery but... so far I have to say...it's coming along quite nicely.
It started to eat a bird seed mix I have yesterday.. and today I saw a couple of pellets gone.. mind.. they might have gotten scattered in the straw but the pellets were messed up like someone had been in them.... It's major diet is just plain grass.

So if I see it over the next week continue to improve I'll hold it for a good month and then let it go to a new home as a special needs bunny. Mind...if it ever falters in the next month.. it will become my next stew. I WILL NOT get attached to it as i don't have the room to keep a "can't be used for breeding" bunny.

Was talking with my neice who ALMOST became a vet and she said "garlic and chives and onions are great to feed to animals with stomach upset and unknown illnesses". So I"ll be doing this again!

ladysown":9et98w69 said:
Was talking with my neice who ALMOST became a vet and she said "garlic and chives and onions are great to feed to animals with stomach upset and unknown illnesses". So I"ll be doing this again!

Really? I have heard they are bad for rabbits, that it's an immunosuppressive.

Anyone else know if they are good or bad?

My rabbits love chives! I have never seen them have an adverse effect from it. I will keep it in mind if I get a bunny with an upset stomach. I am sure onions, garlic and chives are not good for a rabbit if too much is given to them. In the right portions it makes sense they would be beneficial.

Today... eating grain...but not interested in grass... so I'm not sure what's going on with him. Time will tell eh? <br /><br /> -- Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:42 am -- <br /><br /> well that bites.

He was happy and hopping around and being a great little rabbit. I was going to move him out of the nursery cage into a regular cage again, and found him dead this morning.

just bites...he was coming along so well.

I had a doe die when she had 2 weeks old kits, tried fostering but no females would take em at the time. One actually got killed by my other doe before I could save it. They hadn't really started eating food yet, but by giving em apples and brocoli stems I got them to start eating. They got their fluids from the apples mostly cause it took me putting an older male bun with em after a week for em to learn how to drink water and eat hay thanks to him. I did lose one other but saved 4 in total.
Also, I'm not sure of the name of the medicine, but my friend has bad water and her rabbits often end up with mucus diahrea or bloathed cause of it. I'm rabbit sitting for her while she's still on vacation and 20 are sick atm. We have a medication we inject every day (ideally 3 times per day) that helps save most. Not all, but most. Out of 10 almost dead buns 2 days ago only one died and the others are starting to get better. Will probly lose a few more, but without that medicine it would've been all of em. It's used for any situation that causes diahrea or bloatness.

Point is, if a similar situation happens again just remember: diahrea = dehydratation + loss of pecious nutriments and calories. So even if they drink a ton, give em food that'll give em extra fluids and energy. Apples saved my bunnies until they finally learned they could eat hay and pellets too. While yours did eat grain he might not have gotten enough fluids.
Also if you want the name of the medicine I could take note when I go back at my friend's rabbitry, but you'll probly need a vet to prescribe it for you.

Back