Tail injury

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkhomestead

Reaction score
I am new to the journey. I am supposed to pick up a breeding trio this weekend. The breeder has been gorth coming that one of the does injured her tail and she has been cleaning it and taking care of it.

I have not seen the rabbit in person yet. Im just not entirely sure what do to. If I should purchase this doe and nurse it back to health or if I should just take the pair and find another doe. Resized_20211007_121036.jpg

that looks like a case of hutch burn. hutch burn happened when a rabbit constantly pees on it self causing a fungus that makes the fur fall out and the skin become iterated. it commonly happens when the cage is not clean but can be caused from underlying health problems that prevent the rabbit from peeing away from its self. you would need to give the rabbit a good wash on the effected areas and keep them in a clean cage without chance of contact with excrement's (a full wire cage with no pee guards) keep it clean and dry and if the rabbit is healthy it should clear up.

if everything else health wise is good (depending on price) I think it would be ok to purchase the doe, but it will take some work to get her healthy.

that looks like a case of hutch burn. hutch burn happened when a rabbit constantly pees on it self causing a fungus that makes the fur fall out and the skin become iterated. it commonly happens when the cage is not clean but can be caused from underlying health problems that prevent the rabbit from peeing away from its self. you would need to give the rabbit a good wash on the effected areas and keep them in a clean cage without chance of contact with excrement's (a full wire cage with no pee guards) keep it clean and dry and if the rabbit is healthy it should clear up.

if everything else health wise is good (depending on price) I think it would be ok to purchase the doe, but it will take some work to get her healthy.
Thank you for your input! You have given me more to consider. I'm just not sure if I want to rehab a rabbit when just starting or on this journey. I'm still going to look at all the factors when I can look at her.

Personally, I would not purchase the doe. If she were free, maybe I'd take her. As jaxmarblebuns said, it is possible there are underlying health issues which may just be too much to handle as a beginner. Though, it would also give you good preparation later down the road if you ever have issues with your herd.

My thoughts would be 1) how long has this doe gone without the breeder checking up on the health and 2) what sort of living conditions are this breeder's rabbits in now? I've only peaked at 50 rabbits at once, so I don't know how difficult a much larger scale operation would be. Maybe thought #1 is too critical of me. But thought #2 would be important so you don't end up with sick rabbits that could potentially have snuffles/mites/etc. from less-than-ideal living conditions. But again, maybe I am just too critical. I'd just want completely healthy rabbits for my first time :)

Personally, I would not purchase the doe. If she were free, maybe I'd take her. As jaxmarblebuns said, it is possible there are underlying health issues which may just be too much to handle as a beginner. Though, it would also give you good preparation later down the road if you ever have issues with your herd.

My thoughts would be 1) how long has this doe gone without the breeder checking up on the health and 2) what sort of living conditions are this breeder's rabbits in now? I've only peaked at 50 rabbits at once, so I don't know how difficult a much larger scale operation would be. Maybe thought #1 is too critical of me. But thought #2 would be important so you don't end up with sick rabbits that could potentially have snuffles/mites/etc. from less-than-ideal living conditions. But again, maybe I am just too critical. I'd just want completely healthy rabbits for my first time :)
Thank you for your advice!

Back