Tail biting

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of my does looks like she has a poodle tail. About .5 inch of he tail is bare of hair and iritated, still has a small poof of hair on the end of her tail.
Anyideas what might be going on?

I don't, but when dogs get it, it's fleas. Is there any staining of the fur? Does the skin irritated or broken? Does she have a cage mate who might be interested in that area? That's one way I find out I've misgendered one of the young does in my growout cages, one who's taco turned into a burrito, so I now have a buck. They will sniff and groom at the back end of the does.

One of my does looks like she has a poodle tail. About .5 inch of he tail is bare of hair and iritated, still has a small poof of hair on the end of her tail.
Anyideas what might be going on?
I agree with @TKT , it sounds like it may be some sort of parasite - e.g. fleas, mites, lice. The tail isn't the typical place I expect to find mites or lice, but we don't have fleas around here so it could well be that. If she's got biting critters in that area, she'll be chewing at it.

I'd start by watching her for a while to see what she's actually doing (or what another rabbit is doing). Check her vent to see if there's an infection that might be irritating the whole area. I'd also check around the nape of her neck and along her spine to see if there are any creepy crawlies, or hair loss, scabs from scratching, or dandruff (which sometimes turns out to be "walking dandruff" which is the mites themselves). Sometimes when an animal gets an infestation of one thing, other opportunistic parasites jump on board as well.

In addition, I'd check her for other places she might be losing hair. Even if there aren't any lice, mites or fleas, some animals respond to stress by "barbering" themselves. And if she is in with other rabbits, they might be doing it, though when I've seen that it's not in just one area.

I agree with @TKT , it sounds like it may be some sort of parasite - e.g. fleas, mites, lice. The tail isn't the typical place I expect to find mites or lice, but we don't have fleas around here so it could well be that. If she's got biting critters in that area, she'll be chewing at it.

I'd start by watching her for a while to see what she's actually doing (or what another rabbit is doing). Check her vent to see if there's an infection that might be irritating the whole area. I'd also check around the nape of her neck and along her spine to see if there are any creepy crawlies, or hair loss, scabs from scratching, or dandruff (which sometimes turns out to be "walking dandruff" which is the mites themselves). Sometimes when an animal gets an infestation of one thing, other opportunistic parasites jump on board as well.

In addition, I'd check her for other places she might be losing hair. Even if there aren't any lice, mites or fleas, some animals respond to stress by "barbering" themselves. And if she is in with other rabbits, they might be doing it, though when I've seen that it's not in just one area.

All of my adult rabbits are private cages, but I bought funny

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. All my adult rabbits are caged separately but Miss funny tail came from a breeder whose premises could very easily harbor fleas or lice. How can I treat rabbit for external parasites.
And on a different note, I replaced Buck's cage and the new one is too deep. I can't reach the does to get them out after breeding. Are there any humane rabbit catcher tools out there?

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. All my adult rabbits are caged separately but Miss funny tail came from a breeder whose premises could very easily harbor fleas or lice. How can I treat rabbit for external parasites.
I'd check her for fleas/mites/lice before medicating. If she has any of those, you'll be able to see them and/or their traces. But I would not use medications if you don't find evidence of these parasites. Using medication when it's not called for can cause problems like unwanted side effects and possible development of drug resistance in other parasites.

Fleas - here are images from a site with other good info https://bunnystyleguide.com/can-rabbits-get-fleas/
1725566685793.jpeg1725567379301.jpeg

Lice are pretty uncommon in rabbits, but fur mites are not at all uncommon, and they can cause fur loss. Here is an image of "walking dandruff" from http://www.exoticpetvet.com/parasites-of-rabbits.html:
1725567462671.jpeg
If you do find creepy crawlies, Advantage II for kittens (9.10 imidacloprid + 0.46% pyriproxyfen, generics listed here https://fleascience.com/flea-contro...generic-alternatives-to-advantage-2-for-cats/) or Revolution for kittens (selamectin, needs a prescription) can take care of fleas. There are other home remedy options for fleas listed here: https://fleacures.com/home-remedies-for-fleas-on-rabbits/. Ivermectin is usually effective in getting rid of fur mites.

And on a different note, I replaced Buck's cage and the new one is too deep. I can't reach the does to get them out after breeding. Are there any humane rabbit catcher tools out there?
When I can't get hold of a rabbit, I use a stick or a 2x4 to gently push or bump the rabbit's rear end, to get her to move forward to where I can reach her.

Last edited:
I'd check her for fleas/mites/lice before medicating. If she has any of those, you'll be able to see them and/or their traces. But I would not use medications if you don't find evidence of these parasites. Using medication when it's not called for can cause problems like unwanted side effects and possible development of drug resistance in other parasites.

Fleas - here are images from a site with other good info https://bunnystyleguide.com/can-rabbits-get-fleas/
View attachment 42952View attachment 42953

Lice are pretty uncommon in rabbits, but fur mites are not at all uncommon, and they can cause fur loss. Here is a image of "walking dandruff" from http://www.exoticpetvet.com/parasites-of-rabbits.html:
View attachment 42954
If you do find creepy crawlies, Advantage II for kittens (9.10 imidacloprid + 0.46% pyriproxyfen, generics listed here https://fleascience.com/flea-contro...generic-alternatives-to-advantage-2-for-cats/) or Revolution for kittens (selamectin, needs a prescription) can take care of fleas. There are other home remedy options for fleas listed here: https://fleacures.com/home-remedies-for-fleas-on-rabbits/. Ivermectin is usually effective in getting rid of fur mites.

When I can't get hold of a rabbit, I use a stick or a 2x4 to gently push or bump the rabbit's rear end, to get her to move forward to where I can reach her.
Excellent advice here. Thank you all :)

Latest posts

Back