T2--forth times the charm?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
So, T2 our Amer Chin/NZ doe had her 4th litter yesterday. She successfully delivered 5 during a massive rain storm. She made a decent nest, pulled fur and cleaned and fed the kits---a great start for her!

She ate half her first litter, a quarter of her second and showed no desire to milk her third (7 of 8 alive and all fostered successfully to Curly!)

Curly raised her 4 plus the 7!!! To be fair to Curly, the 7 were weaned last week at 5 weeks--curly is regaining condition

Anyhow, back to our girl:
I pulled the box and have her feed 2/x a day. She is more than willing to be placed in the box, nurse and clean the kits. Because we are having mid 30's, I decided to keep the box in the garage for the first week to insure she is trained to feed.

Maybe she has avoided the crueset...

Well, whatever happens, she can't complain that you haven't given her every opportunity to learn how to be a good mom! Hope this fourth litter is the charm and she goes on to be a stellar doe. :)

I know it goes against convention, but what the heck right?

Just put the box in and she starting pulling more fur to cover them.

I think maturity (or lack thereof) may have a lot to do with it, Ann. I tend not to breed young does until spring when they are 8 - 9 months old... and they usually do very well the first time. It isn't a conscious plan on my part, really... just works out that way saving one or two of the best late summer doelings.

You know that is a very possible thought. She was born May 1; her sister has been a really good momma. Good milker, weans her babies etc. I usually net 5-6 per litter. She had 9 and lost two out of the nest, the rest are doing lovely. T2 had 5, all seem just fine at this point. SHe nurses, cleans and stays in the box and shows patience (a trait seldom seen before).

I am optomistic!<br /><br />__________ Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:15 pm __________<br /><br />She is doing a nice job with the kits, they are eyes open and starting to get mobile. Unfortunatly, T2 has moom eye (I think she has gone blind). I am not certain what to do with her, so is feeding the kits 2/x a day, so now that she has learned, I don't want to put her down. She is eating, mobile and a little nursed down at this point.... The six week mark is a ways away so no hurry on a decision.

input?

moom eye? not sure what that is - or what causes it
eye issues can be injury or genetic or even bacterial

if she is doing fine and you can keep her comfortable animals have little issue with being blind ...
if it is genetic I wouldn't keep her kits to breed but as you eat them anyhow I don't think it wouldl matter much

Thanks Brody.

I had someone on another board call it Moon Eye. I will try to post an image for your input/review.

So, you don't raise meat buns at all?

nope no meat buns here ...

moon eye in horses is genetic (or so it's thought) and it really is a clouding of a layer of the cornea - I didn't know other mammals got it - though it makes sense ...
in the horses I have known only one eye seems to be affected often ...

off to read about moon eye in rabbits

Dogs apparently get it too. Reggie has it. Comes and goes. They thought the first time it was a cataract, then it wasn't there the next time she went in. Then it was there again 6 months later.

I had a mare once that had it in both eyes. She was pretty much blind. Could see bright and shadows..that's about it. Lovely mare. VERY much my favorite animal. She had a number of fine foals. had to be kept confined when she had the foals at her side tho..she'd worrytoo much if they were let out into her paddock for the first few weeks.

Latest posts

Back