Suspended cages hutch idea

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pending landlord approval I plan on building another smaller 4 cage suspended hutch and want to pass my idea around and see what y'all think.

It will be on the side of my porch running along it with the open end facing and under the porch overhang. With the roof sloping away.

Thinking 4 2x4's supporting the roof with some cross bracing for support. The top lay of cages would be hung with wire up to eye hooks in the roof wood structure.

Then under the top 2 cages I would have 2x4s running the length of the structure connected to the original 4 2x4s holding the roof. Then I would lay something like corrugated sheeting on top of the 2x4s under the cage to divert poop.

Using the beefy 2x4s that hold the poop deflector I could put eye hooks in and hang my 2nd row from that with a similar but lighter duty poop deflector under that.
It would be super airy so for winter I was thinking of attaching more eye bolts to the roof and cut to fit ply wood sheets with hooks to lift and hang from that. Then mid way down the sheets add more hooks to latch in the side pieces that will be hung similarly.

On hot days lift off all sides and get full breeze. Winter time lock down with the quick attached sides any gaps at the roof will allow some smells to escape I figure.

One problem is this will inevitably be more in view to people walking by in the city. I don't think its possible to hide them outside while catching a decent breeze. Security concerns is why there so close to my door to begin with.
Sorry another long post. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything. This is still just a thought.

Latest posts

Back