Supplementing vitamin D

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know the proper dose of vitamin D3 for rabbits with little direct sunlight?

Living in WI with the colder temps I have shut in the rabbits outside by putting plastic over the open side of the hutch. The hutches are facing north so even at sun rise it doesn't hit them directly. I know most people this far away from the equator are deficient in vitamin D and I personally take it. Not only for bone health but also mood.

As far as rabbits go, a healthy rabbit will provide a healthier food source especially with bone broth. I want to try and add some vitamin D3 to the water but have no idea on ratio. I'm sure wild rabbits get it from the sun but what about caged animals on pellets?

Any thoughts?

I would look on the feed bag, to see if it is already included in the feed,
before I supplemented D-3..
I have heard some sad stories in the past, from people who "supplemented" D
when feeding a pellet that already had vitamins added..

Zass":2ky362oy said:
https://animals.mom.com/vitamin-d-poisoning-rabbits-9208.html

I found this article on it

Thanks for the link. Yeah I definitely won't be messing with trying to give them any more then. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:31 am __________ <br /><br />
michaels4gardens":2ky362oy said:
I would look on the feed bag, to see if it is already included in the feed......
Sure enough! Yeah since they added it to the feed I won't go trying to play vet. They don't show any symptoms of being deficient. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back