Sunlight in the Rabbit Barn

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graceful Rabbitry

gracefulrabbits
Reaction score
So we recently started building a barn for my rabbits, and I started wondering about sunlight. The roof let’s in a lot of light will that be enough, I have heard they don’t need direct sunlight so how much is to much. So far we only have a roof and the main structure, and tarps covering the sides for now, that we will roll up and down when needed.F5159B8D-006A-43CF-B537-99620970A1DF.jpeg

Should we add windows when we build walls? I just know windows can get expensive. When we build walls they will not go all the way down for air-flow and have wire the rest of the way for critters but something to pull down in the winter. I will have a screen door that will let in some sun but also you can slid a piece of metal to over the screen in the windy cold. I also have led lights inside. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So we recently started building a barn for my rabbits, and I started wondering about sunlight. The roof let’s in a lot of light will that be enough, I have heard they don’t need direct sunlight so how much is to much. So far we only have a roof and the main structure, and tarps covering the sides for now, that we will roll up and down when needed.View attachment 33448

Should we add windows when we build walls? I just know windows can get expensive. When we build walls they will not go all the way down for air-flow and have wire the rest of the way for critters but something to pull down in the winter. I will have a screen door that will let in some sun but also you can slid a piece of metal to over the screen in the windy cold. I also have led lights inside. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Decent lighting is important - especially for you - but direct sun is a big negative, especially if you want to show the rabbits or use their pelts. Black and blue rabbits especially will get "sunburned," leaving them looking brassy. REWs and himalayans can go blind, literally: their lack of pigmentation leaves their eyes defenseless against UV damage. The only color that gets along with sunshine is red; the sunburning effect diminishes smut and seems to intensify the red color. My reds get a lot more time outside in uncovered pens than my other colors. :)

In my opinion, windows (with screens) are mostly useful for increasing ventilation. While a door and windows let in pleasant ambient light, electric lights do most of the job of illumination needs for me.

My barn has a small octagonal window up near the eaves, and an opening window in the wall next to the doors, both on the south-facing wall. These let in natural light, especially important during the winter (and let the rabbits know what season it is!) but due to the angle of the sun, direct sunlight does not ever hit any of the rabbits. I might think about adding another window on the other end of the barn to encourage airflow, but I really haven't felt the need; the big barn doors provide plenty of airflow and I can usually leave them open if I want to. In places that get a lot hotter than Alaska, more windows might be more important.

I have lights suspended from the ceiling, which I turn on for my benefit, either to evaluate rabbits' colors, or just to see what I'm doing in the winter - I spend a lot more time with the bunnies when I can see them! :) I used to leave the lights on during the winter to try to get the rabbits in the mood for breeding, but I gave up on that (I've detailed that in other threads); now I let the rabbits, and their hormones, ebb and flow with natural light.

I can't tell if your barn has see-through plastic roofing, but if it does, you might think about covering the cages to prevent sunburn. Even a layer of feed bags over the top of the cages would help.

Okay, thank you very much this helps a lot, I have actually had a REW go partially blind in one eye I’m pretty sure from the sun. The roof definitely lets some light through but also not enough to sunburn them. It is a tan pvc roofing panels.

Decent lighting is important - especially for you - but direct sun is a big negative, especially if you want to show the rabbits or use their pelts. Black and blue rabbits especially will get "sunburned," leaving them looking brassy. REWs and himalayans can go blind, literally: their lack of pigmentation leaves their eyes defenseless against UV damage. The only color that gets along with sunshine is red; the sunburning effect diminishes smut and seems to intensify the red color. My reds get a lot more time outside in uncovered pens than my other colors. :)

In my opinion, windows (with screens) are mostly useful for increasing ventilation. While a door and windows let in pleasant ambient light, electric lights do most of the job of illumination needs for me.

My barn has a small octagonal window up near the eaves, and an opening window in the wall next to the doors, both on the south-facing wall. These let in natural light, especially important during the winter (and let the rabbits know what season it is!) but due to the angle of the sun, direct sunlight does not ever hit any of the rabbits. I might think about adding another window on the other end of the barn to encourage airflow, but I really haven't felt the need; the big barn doors provide plenty of airflow and I can usually leave them open if I want to. In places that get a lot hotter than Alaska, more windows might be more important.

I have lights suspended from the ceiling, which I turn on for my benefit, either to evaluate rabbits' colors, or just to see what I'm doing in the winter - I spend a lot more time with the bunnies when I can see them! :) I used to leave the lights on during the winter to try to get the rabbits in the mood for breeding, but I gave up on that (I've detailed that in other threads); now I let the rabbits, and their hormones, ebb and flow with natural light.

I can't tell if your barn has see-through plastic roofing, but if it does, you might think about covering the cages to prevent sunburn. Even a layer of feed bags over the top of the cages would help.

Wow. I had not thought of or read that about REWs going blind from too much direct sunlight. Good to know.

There's clear tarps with grommets that you can hang in place of the dark ones you have up for winter. For the summer, you can hang shade cloth to keep sun off and allow air flow.

I have had issues with flapping tarp noise and thunder and lightening causing does to abort litters in the past, so I would recommend trying to have the tarps make as little noise as possible. :)
Thank you, we don’t have to much wind around here and our tarps are pretty secure. That’s crazy that loud noise can cause does to that.

Back