Sunflower leaves/stocks/heads?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireclaws bunnbutts

Reaction score
I was thinking about this last night.

Every year, I grow sunflowers and collect the seeds to sell/grow the next spring and have never had anything to give the leaves, heads and stocks to when I cut the plant down to harvest the seeds, and I usually just cut the plants up and burn them (smells real good, but kinda wasteful IMO).

So could the rabbits have them? Come about the end of September, most of the flowers should be ready to harvest and I was wondering if I could give the leaves that were still in good condition to the rabbits to eat and the heads/stocks to chew on/eat if I dried them out first. The only thing I know about sunflowers is that they have a lot of oil which is supposed to be good for you, but really fatty.

Sunflower foliage is excellent for rabbits and they usually love it . . . but sometimes late in the season (here, at least) you will find powdery mildew on the leaves and stalks. I would watch for that and only feed leaves and stalks in good condition.

The seeds are fatty, of course, but I don't think the foliage is. But it is an excellent green for the buns.

Fireclaws bunnbutts":3csrdc2k said:

Every year, I grow sunflowers and collect the seeds to sell/grow the next spring and have never had anything to give the leaves, heads and stocks to when I cut the plant down to harvest the seeds, and I usually just cut the plants up and burn them (smells real good, but kinda wasteful IMO).

We also feed the above ground part of the plant when it is green/growing. Often have to thin the plants and the rabbits really like them. We dry the whole seed head to feed to rabbits or chickens in winter. As Maggie said, on our plants the leaves tend to not be in very good condition by the time we harvest the heads. But I save the stalks and use them, along with grapevine, to make supports for some of my flowers. Just put a third ring of vine around the top of the stalks to keep up with the hibiscus, now about my height. Used some earlier for peony supports. I like how they look--sort of disappear as the plant grows up and that they are readily disposed of and we always have new ones ready when the old ones fail.

Well, since the sunflowers i have came from the Boss I feed, I don't keep the heads on long enough for seeds, as soon as the petals start falling off, I snip the head and feed it to the buns.

Rabbits love the stalks of sunflower. When I harvest them I cut them into 4"-6" lengths and give them as treats throughout the winter.

I grew a few sunflowers this year, and wasn't sure exactly what I could do with them... I was hoping the leaves were OK for the rabbits, but kept forgetting to check. Good to know!

I have a bunch of them that have bloomed and are now done. What do I need to do with them now? Let them dry still in the ground? Cut the seed heads off? The whole stalk? I am hoping to grow a larger patch next year so I am saving some seeds (bought some heritage seeds with multiple blooms per stalk, but have a few that popped up on their own from BOSS).

I should have plenty of stalk to give them then lol. I have about 2 dozen flowers planted and most of them are going on almost 2ft taller than me, and still growing! and I'm 5'7 xD

Fireclaws bunnbutts":3jx54dft said:
I should have plenty of stalk to give them then lol. I have about 2 dozen flowers planted and most of them are going on almost 2ft taller than me, and still growing! and I'm 5'7 xD

Jealous! :lol: Mine are puny this year, I guess from the stretch we had without rain in early/mid summer. I watered them occasionally, but not consistently. I kinda suck at keeping plants alive :oops: Our red clay "soil" doesn't make it any easier. I am hoping to get a few areas heavily mulched and fertilized with rabbit and chicken manure for next year. Mainly I want to grow climbing roses and other heavy foliage around the shed for the rabbits in hope that it will help keep it cool for next year.

heritage":5wqxhx8c said:
I grew a few sunflowers this year, and wasn't sure exactly what I could do with them... I was hoping the leaves were OK for the rabbits, but kept forgetting to check. Good to know!

I have a bunch of them that have bloomed and are now done. What do I need to do with them now? Let them dry still in the ground? Cut the seed heads off? The whole stalk? I am hoping to grow a larger patch next year so I am saving some seeds (bought some heritage seeds with multiple blooms per stalk, but have a few that popped up on their own from BOSS).

I don't know how it is where you are, but here we have to protect the seedheads from the time the petals fall off. The birds eat them and the chipmunks and mice. They wouldn't last long on the ground. Sometimes when they're still standing we tie a mesh bag (like onions come in) or cloth around them to keep the birds off. Once we cut the heads off we either dry the heads whole or rub the seeds to remove them. Again they need to be protected from mice etc. while drying. Then when dried they can go into a tin or whatever until you want to feed them.

Rainey":20u2tiso said:
heritage":20u2tiso said:

I don't know how it is where you are, but here we have to protect the seedheads from the time the petals fall off. The birds eat them and the chipmunks and mice. They wouldn't last long on the ground. Sometimes when they're still standing we tie a mesh bag (like onions come in) or cloth around them to keep the birds off. Once we cut the heads off we either dry the heads whole or rub the seeds to remove them. Again they need to be protected from mice etc. while drying. Then when dried they can go into a tin or whatever until you want to feed them.
How do I knew when to cut the heads off? I noticed a couple had already been nibbled on so I was thinking I needed to do something soon. One thing I saw recommended paper bags, but I wasn't sure how well they would stand up to rain/storms. I have a drying rack that was DH's great grandma's that will be perfect for drying the seeds (find screen mesh on both sides... she used it for drying apples).

So could the rabbits have them? Come about the end of September, most of the flowers should be ready to harvest and I was wondering if I could give the leaves that were still in good condition to the rabbits to eat and the heads/stocks to chew on/eat if I dried them out first. The only thing I know about sunflowers is that they have a lot of oil which is supposed to be good for you, but really fatty.
Yes 100% they can eat leaves and seeds. Idk what type you are growing? There is a sipergood book for feeding rabbits from your own growing garden plabts

Back