Summer and Silver Fox

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

george8211

Reaction score
Looking for in-sight as to how much heat a Silver Fox can tolerate. I live in SC and it's already mid 90s and we can have some pretty bad humidity. I've seen the many options for helping to keep rabbits cool, but I'm trying to find out what they can handle as for our hot summers. Thank you

Looking for in-sight as to how much heat a Silver Fox can tolerate. I live in SC and it's already mid 90s and we can have some pretty bad humidity. I've seen the many options for helping to keep rabbits cool, but I'm trying to find out what they can handle as for our hot summers. Thank you
I’m sorry you didn’t get a reply! Just picked up 2 Silver Fox and am headed to AZ, I’m interested I. How it went with the summer heat?

Silver fox are densely furred and can't take alot of heat. When our shed hit 83 we ended up moving ours into our garage, which was climate controlled. Heat was the one thing we didn't anticipate with these rabbits. We thought we had a handle on it before we got them. We insulated our shed, installed attic vents, added a portable AC, etc. Still, the portable AC just drew in more heat from the outside and attic, so the cooling was minimal. Once the temps hit 80 inside, we started adding frozen water bottles, and running fans. That worked up to about 85. But then we had a forecast week of mid to high 90s and decided to move them to the house. This was mid June. It is now October and will be moving them back in a few weeks. Next spring I'll install a window AC, which will solve the negative pressure issues of a portable unit and should be able to keep up with the summer heat.

Silver fox are densely furred and can't take alot of heat. When our shed hit 83 we ended up moving ours into our garage, which was climate controlled. Heat was the one thing we didn't anticipate with these rabbits. We thought we had a handle on it before we got them. We insulated our shed, installed attic vents, added a portable AC, etc. Still, the portable AC just drew in more heat from the outside and attic, so the cooling was minimal. Once the temps hit 80 inside, we started adding frozen water bottles, and running fans. That worked up to about 85. But then we had a forecast week of mid to high 90s and decided to move them to the house. This was mid June. It is now October and will be moving them back in a few weeks. Next spring I'll install a window AC, which will solve the negative pressure issues of a portable unit and should be able to keep up with the summer heat.
Thank you. We are keeping ours in the house right now (only 2). Converting the garage and have swamp cooler that will work most of the year-but happy with them in the house right now! Great info and thank you for sharing it!! Best to you!

I am in quebec, and while not known for heat we did have a record breaking summer and worse, forest fires that made the air quality horrible and visibly smokey and smelly quite a few days. My asthma was terrible so mine were in the house until the end of Jluly, then in tractors in deep shade with fans, frozen bottles, ice cubes in water, spraying the ground with a hose, terra cotta tiles... and I am still not sure my buck was not sterile when I bred him a month ago, as my does still haven't delivered! Now it is cooling into the 50s and they are outside in a winterized hutch they seem much happier and more active.

Don't know how much heat. I picked silver fox because I hoped their dense fur would better suit our long cold Winters . Mine have free access to their yards and an insulated house.even in below zero temps and a blizzard they'd choose to be out playing in the snow, looked happy. Summer had them sprawled out in the shade, bodies pressed into hollows they dug in the sand. I love the silver fox rabbit but there may be breeds better suited to hot climates. Good luck.. let us know how you do

As it happens I was just speaking to a lady in Texas this morning about a blue SF doe. I am looking for a high quality BLUE doe if anyone has btw! At any rate, she said they adapted well to her climate, she got them locally and used just shade, frozen bottles and a swamp cooler to help them through texas summer. So, lots of extra work but it is possible! I do know there are more heat tolerant breeds, but I totally understand the silver fox obsession!

I have the same problem with American Chinchillas and I am in western washington near seattle--not exactly known for our extreme heat. I love em, but I really do think they would be happier in alaska! I am literally considering a partial shave on them in the summer months, my angoras fare better!

I have the same problem with American Chinchillas and I am in western washington near seattle--not exactly known for our extreme heat. I love em, but I really do think they would be happier in alaska! I am literally considering a partial shave on them in the summer months, my angoras fare better!
That's interesting about the angoras and heat. We had a sweltering (for Alaska) summer a few years ago, with temperatures in the high 80sF week after week along with intense humidity. Not super extreme for rabbits per se, but definitely not what any of our rabbits are bred for or used to. We lost several Satins and NZs, both adults and litters, and many others of those breeds were obviously suffering, yet my daughter's angoras - French and Satin - cruised through the heat. It was amazing. We decided that they're insulated not just from cold, but also from heat. Total surprise!

That's interesting about the angoras and heat. We had a sweltering (for Alaska) summer a few years ago, with temperatures in the high 80sF week after week along with intense humidity. Not super extreme for rabbits per se, but definitely not what any of our rabbits are bred for or used to. We lost several Satins and NZs, both adults and litters, and many others of those breeds were obviously suffering, yet my daughter's angoras - French and Satin - cruised through the heat. It was amazing. We decided that they're insulated not just from cold, but also from heat. Total surprise!
I also think my angoras shed cleaner in the spring. Some are literally naked, with pink skin showing in places. Most of the summer they have shorter coats and they seem to do better than the chins with their incredibly dense short coats. Maybe the loft of their coat lets heat escape better or something?

I am in upstate NY and we can hit the high 90s with high humidity for days in a row. Considering Silver Fox but reading this a bit concerned over heat. Did anyone experience mortality due to temps in the 90s?

Latest posts

Back