Strange happenings - I would love your input.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnak

Reaction score
My Silver Fox Doe Stella had a successful liter back in December. She had 10 kits and it was her first liter. One was dead at birth, however, the others all lived and thrived. She was a great Momma. Stella was due to kindle on 4/25. She had made a beautiful nest in the nest box when I put it in her cage on the 28th day. She had 5 kits on the evening 4/25. All were dead except one. I removed all of them, and tried to warm the one that was alive. It seemed to do well, so I put it back in the nest box. Stella kept going in and out of the nest box. She would stay in there for 30 minutes or so. On 4/26 the kit didn't look like it had nursed. Stella does not like to be handled, so I took out another Doe, Emmy, who has 4 week old kits and laid her on her back and put the kit on several teats, but the kit didn't seem to know what to do and was lethargic. After a few minutes of trying I put the kit back in the nest box. The kit was dead the morning of 4/27. Stella kept going into the nest box, so I was concerned she might still have kits to kindle and didn't remove the nest box. On 4/28, yesterday, I removed the nest box. This morning, Friday 4/29, when I went to feed Stella, there was a very small kit dead on the wire and pieces of another kit in two places on the wire - this one was not really formed - looked like it might have only matured just so far and died. I called my vet, and she said to watch Stella and make sure she eats and poops and if she looks in distress or has a fever, then to bring her in for an antibiotic shot.
Have any of you ever had this happen?
What did you do?
Do you think Stella will still be having more kits?
I really don't know what to do for Stella.
I would so much appreciate your input.

Last edited:
I've had does kindle kits over the period of three days.

Sometimes kits get stuck, sometimes they start to be reabsorbed, and sometimes they even mummify.

The fact that she kept going in and out of the box tells me that she knew she was still in labour and wanted to get stuck kit out. The kit out, she was able to deliver the rest which would either been born dead or in process of being reabsorbed.

I've had does kindle kits over the period of three days.

Sometimes kits get stuck, sometimes they start to be reabsorbed, and sometimes they even mummify.

The fact that she kept going in and out of the box tells me that she knew she was still in labour and wanted to get stuck kit out. The kit out, she was able to deliver the rest which would either been born dead or in process of being reabsorbed.
thank you so much.
As today has gone on, since I wrote the post above, she has delivered more in various stages of growth. The last were just red lumps.
I had no idea they reabsorb kits. What do you think made this happen?

thank you so much.
As today has gone on, since I wrote the post above, she has delivered more in various stages of growth. The last were just red lumps.
I had no idea they reabsorb kits. What do you think made this happen?
Maybe the red lumps are actually afterbirth. They have one afterbirth for every kit and moms usually eat most of those…sometimes not all. Was she bred to the same buck as her first litter?

Back