Still think they are chocolate torts and lilac tort?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahMelisse

Reaction score
Ok... Now that they are a little bigger, do you still think there are 3 chocolate torts and 1 lilac tort? The one I think is lilac tort is on the left of all these pictures.
20120420-114230.jpg

20120420-114241.jpg

20120420-114257.jpg

20120420-114329.jpg

I have no idea, but that little guy on the left is adorable- his fur is getting longer already, isn't it?

His fur looks twice as long- maybe you should measure his and his sib's fur length and see how it relates to future wool length/quality. If he is exceptional, that might be a good indicator of future "keepers".

I think the far left looks fawn to me. It has white on its ear lacing and nose looks like. I dont see any lilac. ? They don't have very much of the tort coloring yet. Do the other 3 have dark lacing on their ears? Or lilac lacing? Maybe they are lilacs and 1 fawn? How old?

They actually do not have any white on them at all... they are really shiny and the camera flash kind of highlights certain parts. Their dam is a French Angora chocolate tort and their sire is a French Angora REW.

Also, I've checked eye color since taking this picture last week(?) and the far left kit's eyes are a very obvious grey-blue and the other three have brown eyes. The far left kit also has a lilac toned belly and they other three have a light brown (like walnut shell color) belly.

Now that they are all a little bigger (4weeks old), I'm pretty comfortable calling the first kit lilac tort and the other three chocolate torts using ARBA's ANGORA color descriptions.

Ok
We have frenchs here. I have a chocolate tort. ( she almost looks like black tort) lol! She has had numerous lilacs torts in 2 nd litter. Her first litter by him had reds and fawn. We had bred her with our lynx buck. We bred her with our REW buck and she had lilacs also in this past litter. That's why I don't think it looks lilac tort to me. ( her last litter was 9 so I had a lot of them to look at) Doesn't look like any of the lilac torts we had at that age but it did look like her first litter of red/ fawn. also REW can mask about any color as well.
That's why it's hard with wool breeds. It depends on each individuals perception of the color. Also why people get colors they are not expecting out of certain breedings. Goes to somewhere in pedigree the colors were mislabeled and were wrong. I called UC Davis to see if they could color test for verification but they said it would be expensive to do with rabbits.
So now it's up to the breeders to guess on colors. Oh well.
Best of luck.

Do you have the pedigree of the buck? If so, what colours are in his background or is it all REW? lol They all look almost the same to me, the one on left is slightly lighter and it does look fawn/blue-fawn(whatever THAT is!!) The other three look lilac-tort to me. :)

Back