Steve The Goat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitDad

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Somehow someone talked me into adopting a goat named Steve.
The first day or two Steve seemed OK. He made friends with all the horses so I figured we could add him to our family without any problems.
Soon after the newness wore off, Steve decided that he wasn't going to be restricted by any fence & would promptly escape. Usually by climbing over!
I tried tying him. He ate the rope! I briefly considered a chain but that was just mean... goat abuse.
Next time I saw him, he was on the roof of my truck! I could see the dents in my hood all the way from the house!
So I walk down there to get him off my truck... what do I see? A huge 2 foot diameter dent, about 6" deep in the side of my truck bed! Steve is about to be evicted!
Before I had a chance to tell my wife & son Steve was about to be homeless, he head-butted one of our dogs when his back was turned!
That's it! Steve is about to die!
Cruel or not, he got tied up with a chain!
Now I'll go up against anyone who claims to love animals more than I do but Steve was done!
I was so furious that I actually searched Google for the best method to execute a goat.
Irate as I was, I couldn't do any of the choices provided.
After putting up "free goat" signs everywhere I could think of, ad in the paper, Craigslist & Facebook, I finally found a sucker to take him about three weeks later!
The guy raises that particular breed for their hair / fur.
He was well acquainted with the problems they can cause. He actually laughed at me when I told him some of the stories.
Steve lives in a barn now. His outside area is a chain link fence with a chain link cover! Apparently that's standard.
I don't think I've ever hated any animal before and I certainly haven't considered murdering one! Until Steve.
Deep down I'm glad he's safe but I'm finding great joy in the fact that he's running around bald half the time. Serves him right!
Don't need to remind me to NEVER get talked into adopting another stupid goat!
Rabbits are cool. Goats suck!

Goats teach you how to swear. A fence that doesn't hold water won't hold a goat. Both those sayings have been around a while.

Although a herd animal alone is more likely to behave in worrying or frustrating ways. Don't adopt a herd animal you can't integrate into your existing herd. It saves you a lot of problems.

Your writing about is is funny, but yes some animals can really be a pest about putting themselves in danger while damaging owners things.

Goats teach you how to swear. A fence that doesn't hold water won't hold a goat. Both those sayings have been around a while.

Although a herd animal alone is more likely to behave in worrying or frustrating ways. Don't adopt a herd animal you can't integrate into your existing herd. It saves you a lot of problems.

Your writing about is is funny, but yes some animals can really be a pest about putting themselves in danger while damaging owners things.
My story was pretty much the condensed version. Steve was a major pain in the... rear. And he wasn't here long enough to cause the amount of damage he did. He must have worked overtime.
There is a saying about bison (American Buffalo) too.
"You can make them go anywhere they want to go." That's 100% accurate!
I was also told that there isn't a fence capable of keeping them in.
They can clear a 6' fence!
So far I've been able to contain them by building a fence using RR cross ties for the posts and steel cable for the rails. The cables are also connected to an electric fence charger.
What I think is working best is to limit the temptation of escape.
They can't hurt anything outside the fences but I can't keep them safe out there. People remain as stupid as they always were.
Recently some idiot has been shooting wild horses!

Back