Sterility from non-use

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixFarm

Reaction score
Yes, you read that right. A discussion with another breeder a few days ago reminded me of this, as she stated that she never had much success producing fall litters, and felt it was heat sterility in the males. It hit me.. and like a ton of bricks, no less..

If the stud is not used, the factory shuts down!!!Happens in many domesticated farm animals. Once the animal is put back to work, the factory resumes it's job. The length of time it takes for a full out production of swimmers to be produced varies with species, Rabbits-- use every day for about three days, production enters high gear-- sheep, on the other hand, take a MONTH to ramp things up again! With does being stimulation ovulators, if they have been 'rested' for a while, theymay need a few extra tries to get their storage doors to open up-- get those ova off the shelf....

You mean sterility in the MALE from non-use? I could see the female, but I had a male that hadn't been bred in over a year and he fathered a litter of 8 on one try....purely anecdotal, of course. Individuals certianly vary.

I've got a doe that um, lost the notion, so now she is a hump buddy for my males...
the boys, well I've got my old guy who tends towards laziness, he would rather get petted than make bunnies, but he's a champ and gets the job done with the most difficult, so who am I to complain

eco2pia":ljuzfb0u said:
You mean sterility in the MALE from non-use? I could see the female, but I had a male that hadn't been bred in over a year and he fathered a litter of 8 on one try....purely anecdotal, of course. Individuals certianly vary.

yes-- and it happens with breeders of dogs,too. don't use a male, get a sperm check- nada, then, two months later, his run mate, his daughter, no less, delivers a litter.,(After all, he's sterile, so it's okay to put them in the same run) and of course, they are her own brothers and sisters...
And yes, individuals will vary--I had come across the study a few years ago-- I for the life of me can't remember what I was looking up, other than it concerned-- Thats it!!! :D -- getting sheep to produce more female lambs......

Bucks don't need does to keep the ah gears clean :oops:

I've seen my bucks that I haven't used in a while breed with the air to keep things in shape. :oops: :oops: They would go through the humping motion and ah even fall over :oops:

I even had a buck who hadn't been used in 3 years produce a litter fine and he was 8 years old at the time the litter was born.

I guess my AmChin bucks just didn't have much libido. And they respected the does when the ladies said "NO MORE--

Latest posts

Back