Starting a new season

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olbunny

Reaction score
Well it's that time of the year again. We still have 3' of snow on the ground and freezing weather but not too bad. But it's time to start up again.
Our does know it, through their phonological clock. We have been over 12 hours of daylight now for a few weeks. We have one doe that has torn out fur in her box ready to nest. Others have increased diet and activity in their pens. These itching to do their jobs.
If we start now it's still a long ways until we are harvesting them. 4 weeks to birth, 12 weeks to get to 5 pounds. 4 months. That's the end of July.
Last year we produced near 300 pounds of friers in the freezer or canning jar. From 4 does in their first year. So they had to figure out how to be proper mamas. And they did. So this year productivity should increase sustainability. Particularly since we have had time to introduce our breeding program and our efficiency.
We are mulching the compost and hope to sell or barter. We currently barter rabbit meat for other protiens. So living in ak has benefits such as great seafood,halibut salmon n such. And diverse wildlife, moose caribou muskox goat sheep deer bear n such. Honey or garden plants eggs.
Guess raising rabbits can get to you, all good20220123_111954.jpg20210831_105420.jpg

Attachments

• 20210608_093212.jpg
    20210608_093212.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210608_092050.jpg
    20210608_092050.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210609_082940.jpg
    20210609_082940.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210314_172017.jpg
    20210314_172017.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210314_172610.jpg
    20210314_172610.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210323_081953.jpg
    20210323_081953.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Well it's that time of the year again. We still have 3' of snow on the ground and freezing weather but not too bad. But it's time to start up again.
Our does know it, through their phonological clock. We have been over 12 hours of daylight now for a few weeks. We have one doe that has torn out fur in her box ready to nest. Others have increased diet and activity in their pens. These itching to do their jobs.
If we start now it's still a long ways until we are harvesting them. 4 weeks to birth, 12 weeks to get to 5 pounds. 4 months. That's the end of July.
Last year we produced near 300 pounds of friers in the freezer or canning jar. From 4 does in their first year. So they had to figure out how to be proper mamas. And they did. So this year productivity should increase sustainability. Particularly since we have had time to introduce our breeding program and our efficiency.
We are mulching the compost and hope to sell or barter. We currently barter rabbit meat for other protiens. So living in ak has benefits such as great seafood,halibut salmon n such. And diverse wildlife, moose caribou muskox goat sheep deer bear n such. Honey or garden plants eggs.
Guess raising rabbits can get to you, all good

Regarding what looks like a canvas roof above your buns, how many years do you get out of that before it begins to leak? Is it cloth?

The cover over the rabbits is a portable garage type. Like 22'x 20' . Zipper doors on each end. The plastic cover should last a long time. If not too much snow that it collapses you could use one for quite a few years. 6 mil visqueen on the greenhouse.
I forage every day I can. When the 2-3 feet of snow we have finally melts I will forage dandelions n such. I feed locally grown timothy hay and rabbit pellets ground n make in Anchorage from ak grain where possible. I also forage birch, willow, popular n such all year long to provide for natural vitamins n minerals. Help with teeth growth n give them something to chew to help reduce stress.
We have moose yearly for the winter months. In the summer they disburse back to the bush. Until the cabbage is ready to harvest. Then they show up n take a couple good bites out of each one. Eat all the broccoli n colliflower, peas n such. They do leave the squash alone until they get hungry er. The blueberry bushes n currents get hammered but the raspberries seem to make it. Yeah just part of life. I've had to shoot a grizzly bear from 4' on our back porch, didn't expect to have to do that. But hey we'll have that, just how I like it

Latest posts

Back