Staring my adventure! Could use some help though

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaisuna

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am going to be getting my first meat rabbits soon and while I am quite excited I am also trying to get a barley fodder system going for them.

My first attempts led to a nice lush green mat but I noticed that I had some mold growth on the edges. So I have been trying to solve that issue but now I am having more troubles. I have more mold and more seeds fermenting rather than sprouting with no dense growth at all.

My chickens do not mind the experimentations but I would really appreciate some help on what I am doing wrong.

Haven't a clue how things would work over there, but when we have trouble with mold around here we increase ventilation and sunlight. Dunno as if that would work for you or not, though. Last time I was sprouting barley it was to make beer, hadn't thought about feeding buns with it.

Thanks for the reply. I tried putting a fan for ventilation and it did help with mold a bit(still had some on edges) it started drying out the seeds to much and think it killed some even with rinsing twice a day.

Hi everyone I am going to be getting my first meat rabbits soon and while I am quite excited I am also trying to get a barley fodder system going for them.

My first attempts led to a nice lush green mat but I noticed that I had some mold growth on the edges. So I have been trying to solve that issue but now I am having more troubles. I have more mold and more seeds fermenting rather than sprouting with no dense growth at all.

My chickens do not mind the experimentations but I would really appreciate some help on what I am doing wrong.
I was having the same trouble. I started planting the seeds in trays of dirt. Grew fast, no mold. Cut with a scissors. Can cut and regrow several times
Then shake out the roots and give to my quail. Your chickens might like them too.

I was having the same trouble. I started planting the seeds in trays of dirt. Grew fast, no mold. Cut with a scissors. Can cut and regrow several times
Then shake out the roots and give to my quail. Your chickens might like them too.
Thank you for response!

Why do you think the dirt stops the mold? I would think that would introduce even more possible spores.

The grass that grows doesn't have mold on it for me just the root sections.

Thank you for response!

Why do you think the dirt stops the mold? I would think that would introduce even more possible spores.

The grass that grows doesn't have mold on it for me just the root sections.
I don't know. I just had lots of trouble trying fodder with just water and this works better for me. I do sprout whole oats by rinsing several times a day, but I make sure it's fed by the 3rd day. Trying to grow any green I plant in dirt.maybe moisture more even. Maybe unsprouted seed is buried instead of rotting? Green grass from oats grows fast. It's fun to cut a handful and let them have a green treat when there's snow everywhere. They come running to eat from my hand. mine also have brush piles to play in and chew on that we replenish often with fresh cuttings

I don't know. I just had lots of trouble trying fodder with just water and this works better for me. I do sprout whole oats by rinsing several times a day, but I make sure it's fed by the 3rd day. Trying to grow any green I plant in dirt.maybe moisture more even. Maybe unsprouted seed is buried instead of rotting? Green grass from oats grows fast. It's fun to cut a handful and let them have a green treat when there's snow everywhere. They come running to eat from my hand. mine also have brush piles to play in and chew on that we replenish often with fresh cuttings
Forgot to add. I use the prespouted grain to plant in dirt. Speeds up the process a lot

The soil drains better, while still wicking moisture from areas of high moisture to low, and has other microorganisms (fungi/bacteria--the "good" kind that help roots to grow) that fight the mold for nutrients.
The whole purpose of soil is complex, it doesn't just hold plants up, it feeds with minerals, creates a dependent synergy between roots and its own diverse biome, and keeps the amount of air and water balanced for the roots as well. Some seeds can sprout more easily than others, but if you really wanted to do soil free some kind of paper mulch might help if you were able to keep it from becoming too damp. I recently started a bunch of monstera cuttings in sphagnum moss, wet newsprint would likely also have worked.

I will certainly try some ideas here. Thank you!

Is it possible that I'm watering too much if I'm getting more fermented seeds? I do morning and night and it doesn't take long for water to run through the system. If I look into trays and see bright white roots I skip watering.

Basics:
Join ARBA to get resources and in a very active community. You can attend a few shows and find the breed you want to do, doing purebred and sticking to the standard is desirable for the breed and the health of the animal and also preserves the breed. Here's a page I made for the people I mentor: The Beginners Starting Point | Golden Rabbitry

Back