Standard Rex for meat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duckcomando":28awo339 said:
OneAcreFarm":28awo339 said:
Duckcomando":28awo339 said:
Well I guess i may try a few rexes out and see how she goes.

I am not far from you, SE Texas, and I have Rex.... :) We butchered a 6month old buck on Christmas Eve, cleaned, cut up and in the oven overnight. It was delicious and not tough at all...I actually have two litters right now that are about 3mos old if you are interested. Black, Broken Black, Blue and Broken Blue available....

Wow! I appreciate the offer but I'm really looking for Whites. I had a vision of my daughter wearing a all white rex rabbit fur coat. So that is the reason I am wanting rex.

I have a friend that has a REW Rex doe...she is in Houston. I can check with her if you want me to....

Weighing in on an old post, but I'm curious what y'all get for a 5m rex when you sell for meat. Do you actually make enough to pay for the food the rabbit ate while growing up?

Junior prime is around 5 mos, senior prime is closer to 8 mos. I would not take a hide before 6 mos if you want to do anything besides small crafts. I am tanning a lot of hides now, and I usually throw away or let the dogs eat the pelts of anything I cull before 5 mos. They rip easily during the fleshing and stretching process, because the skin is so thin, and they won't stand the stress of bigger projects.

My Rex usually do not reach senior weight till well around 6-7 mos. There are faster growing lines of course. I have a doe that reached jr weight (nearly 5 lbs) at 12 weeks.

I keep all of my meat kits in the same pen,and have never had accidental breedings, of course my Rex mature slower and aren't ready to breed till well past six mos. Bucks don't have testicles till around six mos, except two recent bucks, which means I am coming into a faster growing line, so this summer I won't have a mixed meat pen :) I don't eat my rabbits yet, so I can't tell you about meat tenderness, but it would be a roaster instead of a fryer, so that can't be too bad.<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:14 am __________<br /><br />Also, there was a time when Rex were bred to grow faster, but it was found that the faster and bigger they grow, the fur quality lessened. The extra time to grow is used to develop a good coat.
So this was not true for my rex growouts. I accidentally put a buck back in with the does at about 12 weeks old and I had a number of what we lovingly called "crack babies." We saved about half of them. Just saying your experience may vary. I typically separate by sex by 8 weeks old. I started that because my other breed matures quite early.

My last breeding was the end of September when temps are still in the 80s here in west Texas and my rabbitry is outside in a tall metal barn with a fan and evaporative cooling unit to knock the edge of the heat off (it is not air conditioned). So I decided to breed my pair of Rex really just for the heck of it figuring the buck would be heat sterile. Not so! Momma just dropped 10 kits again. Amazing.

Back