Standard Rex for meat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckcomando

Reaction score
Is it possible to raise a standard rex for meat? I have the NZR and was wanting to maybe get into the fur breed a little. To me it is very efficient when a cull can be sent to freezer camp instead of having to find a buy for a pet. I would also like to be able to make some really nice fur items for the family.

I have Rex and I raise them for meat, I get very nice carcasses. They just don't grow quite as fast as NZ do, they haven't been bred for the growth rate like the NZ but I find they're sufficient for my needs since I don't use them in a commercial rabbitry setting. I've got 5 (2 bucks, 3 does) and I can put at least 6 litters in the freezer in a season (4 months for me where I am, 5 if I'm lucky)

3mina":22r84xhm said:
I have Rex and I raise them for meat, I get very nice carcasses. They just don't grow quite as fast as NZ do, they haven't been bred for the growth rate like the NZ but I find they're sufficient for my needs since I don't use them in a commercial rabbitry setting. I've got 5 (2 bucks, 3 does) and I can put at least 6 litters in the freezer in a season (4 months for me where I am, 5 if I'm lucky)

Thanks. When do you slaughter your kits? What age? And is it better to let the rex go a little longer so their fur matures a bit?

you can get a good size carcass at 12 weeks (I do out of mine) 4.5-6lbs but I have heard from quite a few people that their rex being used for fur is closer to 20 weeks and older. My rex are good to go and are at senior weight by 5.5 months. I LOVE my rex rabbits.

rabbits used for pelts have TWO 'prime' ages-- there is a 'junior prime" at a very ypoung age, then
senior prime' when fully mature-- the senior prime is related to seasonal conditions, as well

Thanks for the answers guys. I appreciate the input. Looks like I will be getting a few rex rabbits hopefully. I guess if I was able to catch the rabbits a their junior prime that would be the best of both worlds. The meat would probably be tender and get good pelts and housing a bunch of senior rabbits would be out of the question.

Frosted Rabbits":28q1ygch said:
rabbits used for pelts have TWO 'prime' ages-- there is a 'junior prime" at a very ypoung age, then
senior prime' when fully mature-- the senior prime is related to seasonal conditions, as well

Do you think i could sex the kits and keep the same sex in a grow out pen until slaughter? What age is the junior prime?

I have to say I really think lots of you guys are too hung up on this tenderness thing. Yes, the texture is different, doesn't mean the critter is tough. Tough is butchering an old buck or eating a wild rabbit, THAT'S tough, not three days over eight weeks. Moist heat, low and slow will get you an awesome dinner every time.
One thing to keep in mind, fryer pelts are pretty useless since they're very thin so you get to let them grow for a while anyway.
I've come to the conclusion I am very odd when it comes to rabbit meat, I cannot tell the age of a rabbit by eating it. I CAN, however, tell when I've screwed up the cooking process.

I don't remember right off when Junior prime is, as I am not working with in that area of my goals right now.--3mina is correct on the skin aspect of the pelt, which is true of any animals-- it takes maturity to optimize the fur 'anchor" BUT-- I found this to be true across many species of animal--the mature skins 'softness will rank in this order--Younger female, older female, castrated male, intact male, actively used for breeding male. I have had to use larger(stronger) needles on mature bucks because the skin is so resistant to punctures!

Junior prime is around 5 mos, senior prime is closer to 8 mos. I would not take a hide before 6 mos if you want to do anything besides small crafts. I am tanning a lot of hides now, and I usually throw away or let the dogs eat the pelts of anything I cull before 5 mos. They rip easily during the fleshing and stretching process, because the skin is so thin, and they won't stand the stress of bigger projects.

My Rex usually do not reach senior weight till well around 6-7 mos. There are faster growing lines of course. I have a doe that reached jr weight (nearly 5 lbs) at 12 weeks.

I keep all of my meat kits in the same pen,and have never had accidental breedings, of course my Rex mature slower and aren't ready to breed till well past six mos. Bucks don't have testicles till around six mos, except two recent bucks, which means I am coming into a faster growing line, so this summer I won't have a mixed meat pen :) I don't eat my rabbits yet, so I can't tell you about meat tenderness, but it would be a roaster instead of a fryer, so that can't be too bad.<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:14 am __________<br /><br />Also, there was a time when Rex were bred to grow faster, but it was found that the faster and bigger they grow, the fur quality lessened. The extra time to grow is used to develop a good coat.

Give it a try, as far as dual purpose I don' think they can be beat, except by Silver Fox.

Duckcomando":34hvkdb3 said:
Well I guess i may try a few rexes out and see how she goes.

I am not far from you, SE Texas, and I have Rex.... :) We butchered a 6month old buck on Christmas Eve, cleaned, cut up and in the oven overnight. It was delicious and not tough at all...I actually have two litters right now that are about 3mos old if you are interested. Black, Broken Black, Blue and Broken Blue available....

OneAcreFarm":33fpw48w said:
Duckcomando":33fpw48w said:

I am not far from you, SE Texas, and I have Rex.... :) We butchered a 6month old buck on Christmas Eve, cleaned, cut up and in the oven overnight. It was delicious and not tough at all...I actually have two litters right now that are about 3mos old if you are interested. Black, Broken Black, Blue and Broken Blue available....

Care to share the recipe? Herbs and spices.

skysthelimit":1u84nbkm said:
OneAcreFarm":1u84nbkm said:
Duckcomando":1u84nbkm said:

Care to share the recipe? Herbs and spices.

Here you go!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-roast ... ome%20Page

Duckcomando":3l4aeacu said:
Is it possible to raise a standard rex for meat?

I started with Rex because I love their fur and their personalities. As mentioned, they don't grow out as quickly, but I feel their other characteristics compensate for that. :)

If you take OAF up on her offer of Rex, you will be getting bloodlines from my barn too. :p What a great way to "score points" with 2 out of 3 RT Mods! :mrgreen:

I just found an awesome idea for roasting rabbit. This'll work better than my clay baker, came from a friend of mine who makes the best turkey I've ever eaten. She uses Look oven bags and a meat thermometer for her bird. They come in different sizes and if her turkey is any indication, they will work a treat.

I just started with Rex. My first litter is 4 weeks old (almost 5) and I would say they are the size of a good cornish hen right now (I have to weigh them yet). I raise them colony style and they are all free fed. Seems to be working out so far. I'll let you know when I butcher and how much they weigh (if I remember, please remind me!)

3mina":3bh9c4wj said:
I just found an awesome idea for roasting rabbit. This'll work better than my clay baker, came from a friend of mine who makes the best turkey I've ever eaten. She uses Look oven bags and a meat thermometer for her bird. They come in different sizes and if her turkey is any indication, they will work a treat.

We just cooked up a 10 wk old rex, de-boned, rolled and stuffed with cornbread stuffing, toothpicked and baked at 325 degrees for 1.5 hours in a covered dish. was an amazing Christmas dinner side dish. :D

OneAcreFarm":c5mxlb1l said:
Duckcomando":c5mxlb1l said:

Wow! I appreciate the offer but I'm really looking for Whites. I had a vision of my daughter wearing a all white rex rabbit fur coat. So that is the reason I am wanting rex.

Back