Standard black ants dangerous?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My property has those black ants like carpenter and a smaller version of ants that eat meat and a pharaoh ant (that eats sugar) but NO fire ants.
Will these ants cause any long term issue for my rabbits? They don't bite that I can tell and my rabbit is calm enough to lay down but is it safe to have around?
Btw my property is full of ant mounds so much that my landlord doesn't even bother trying to kill them.
Thanks!

I try to exclude all ants, even though some kinds may not be dangerous..
When I use hanging cages suspended with wire, if the ants start climbing the support wires ,
I wipe them down with citronella candle wax.
When I have wooden cages that are standing on the ground, I sit the legs in small buckets of water
[with a little vegetable oil added to prevent rapid evaporation, and mosquito infestation]..

michaels4gardens":2mzov9cj said:
I try to exclude all ants, even though some kinds may not be dangerous..
When I use hanging cages suspended with wire, if the ants start climbing the support wires ,
I wipe them down with citronella candle wax.
When I have wooden cages that are standing on the ground, I sit the legs in small buckets of water
[with a little vegetable oil added to prevent rapid evaporation, and mosquito infestation]..
Thanks I was wondering if I should do something like that.

Yeah the 2x4s are on the ground where I see them climb. I will definitely add something to the whol6set up.

I used to wrap rags soaked in used motor oil (mostly because it was just laying around and handy) around the 2x4 hutch legs to prevent ants from climbing into the hutch. I've had ants kill baby bunnies before. You can also mix boric acid with whatever the ants like to eat and put it out for them, they say the ants will take it back to the nest and kill off the nest. It usually takes a day or two to take effect but soon the ants will be gone.

hotzcatz":8zut4iss said:
I used to wrap rags soaked in used motor oil (mostly because it was just laying around and handy) around the 2x4 hutch legs to prevent ants from climbing into the hutch. I've had ants kill baby bunnies before. You can also mix boric acid with whatever the ants like to eat and put it out for them, they say the ants will take it back to the nest and kill off the nest. It usually takes a day or two to take effect but soon the ants will be gone.
Thanks now you say it I have heard of borax with sugar granules to poison ants I think I will do that also.

I have used borax in the carpet to kill fleas years ago I should try this now. Glad you reccomend that!

Back