Stainless steel hardware cloth

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Concounselor

Reaction score
Hi everyone...I have a roll of stainless steel hardware cloth with 1x1squares. I was planning to use it for cage floors for Tamuk rabbits. Has anyone used this before? Seems to me it would last longer than any galvanized wire. Thoughts please ...

Do you know what gauge it is? I am leaning toward the 1x1 being too big of holes for a floor (not enough support for their feet and it might sag), but not totally sure... it might depend on the gauge?

You would not be able to have kits in cages with that wire, as they would fall through.

Do you know what gauge it is? I am leaning toward the 1x1 being too big of holes for a floor (not enough support for their feet and it might sag), but not totally sure... it might depend on the gauge?

You would not be able to have kits in cages with that wire, as they would fall through.
It is 1/2x1/2 hardware cloth. I don't know the gauge. Seems like it would last forever....may have to support it to keep it from sagging.

Hi everyone...I have a roll of stainless steel hardware cloth with 1x1squares. I was planning to use it for cage floors for Tamuk rabbits. Has anyone used this before? Seems to me it would last longer than any galvanized wire. Thoughts please ...
My first concern would be the finish. My understanding is that “hardware cloth” has small sharp edges that can be harmful for rabbits or any animal having to walk on it. To test this, I’ve run my open palm across pieces of hardware cloth, both sides, and can feel little catches on my skin. So, I have stayed away from that grade of wire as part of the housing structure. I do use it for constructing hay holders affixed to the outside of the cages and for baby proofing cages, again affixed to the outside of cages. I also use the cloth to make poo catchers (smaller holes) that sit below the cages which catch the poo and allows the urine through to my urine collection system.

My first concern would be the finish. My understanding is that “hardware cloth” has small sharp edges that can be harmful for rabbits or any animal having to walk on it. To test this, I’ve run my open palm across pieces of hardware cloth, both sides, and can feel little catches on my skin. So, I have stayed away from that grade of wire as part of the housing structure. I do use it for constructing hay holders affixed to the outside of the cages and for baby proofing cages, again affixed to the outside of cages. I also use the cloth to make poo catchers (smaller holes) that sit below the cages which catch the poo and allows the urine through to my urine collection system.
I will take that into consideration and check and see if mine has sharp places. Honestly I am always using gloves when I'm handling it so I've never noticed....Thank you!

Latest posts

Back