Squished babies - Problem solving

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevonW

Reaction score
I haven't had to deal with babies getting squished by momma until I started with Meat rabbits, a 10lb doe definitely can do more damage then a 3lb Mini Rex. I just don't have the room to have the commercial cages with the nest box on the outside of the cage. It's really important that I don't lose Brun babies since they're aren't that many of them left.

The first issue is, the doe jumping into the nest box, I've lost one baby this way (during a Thunderstorm). Right now I'm using a classic style wooden nest box, and the doe usually climbs in but if she's frightened she just flies into the box (first time doe, she hasn't been here very long, and she is still rather young). So I was thinking, I have a rectangular nest box with a circular hole on one side, and I was thinking about using something like that, but putting a removable top on it, and making the hole up higher and more of a semi circle so the babies cannot accidentally climb out.

2nd issue is when the babies come out of the nest box and start chasing after momma, when she tries to get away, chances are with a lot of babies someone is going to get stepped on (this happened with an experienced doe). So I need to do something to prevent this. So I was thinking maybe sectioning off a part of the cage, with say a 6" divider, so momma can get away from the babies. Or, make a separate box for Momma, something where, if she gets frightened, like during a storm she can go in, instead of the actual nest box, maybe both my cages are certainly big enough for it.

3rd issue. My cages have urine guards. So even if I wired my nest boxes to the side of the cage there is still a small gap, and babies like to squeeze themselves into the strangest spots, and normally it would be fine, except when 10lb momma goes into the box her weight especially when she turns around in the box, her weight causes it to tip a little resulting in pancaked babies. Sooo, I was thinking IF I made the bottoms of my nest boxes smaller then the tops, I can get the box right against the side of the cage, wire it there, and the there are new born babies, they're going to have a little less space to get separated from each other.

Or I can toss that all out the window, and take the babies away from Momma, stick them in an empty cage and only give them to her to nurse until they're all large enough to not get squished.

One does occasionally lose kits when the doe steps on them, but it is rather uncommon. If the nest box has a deep hood and the nest is located under it's protection, it is rare for the kits to get hurt even if the doe does jump in when in a panic.

If you know a doe is nervous, it would likely be a good idea to remove the kits during thunderstorms if you are home to do so. Just as a precaution.

Drop nests are another possible solution. I've never used them but I hear good things about them from others.

missed this thread.

I"ve gotten nest boxes from other folks, and one came with a screw hook in the back of it. Attaches the box to the cage for does that need that. Works wonderfully and prevents the whole need to wire it down.

as to how to prevent does from stomping their kits as they try to get away from them. I've never had to deal with that issue, but I dream of making cages with a sit up rack in them. Make it out of wood with a screw hook to hold it steady to the side of the cage. That way I can toss when it's filthy. OR use one per each rabbit (write their name on it).

Latest posts

Back