Spraying junior buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Buns

Reaction score
I have a 5 month old holland lop buck. He has started spraying a lot. So much that my walls and floors are polka dotted. So much that every time you pet him his back is wet with it. We used to have him in between two does--each in separate cages. We've since moved him to the corner-- does still on one side but not both now.

So.....today I will cover the doe side and perhaps top and back of the cage just so he doesn't see any girls.

It has definitely increased exponentially in the last week or so. I'm assuming he's letting me and everyone else know that he's ready to take on some ladies.

Thoughts?

**I have also had the misfortune of being sprayed in the face :p so he is letting fly allover.

In my personal experience... this usually lasts about three weeks.

If it doesn't... I put him with a doe and let him "have his way" with the lady (putting him in with a doe who is compliant and won't push a buck around. This usually helps them to "settle down".

Some bucks NEVER settle down with the spraying. These bucks I cull since I have little patience for that continued "let's get the lady who feeds us" action. Just HATE IT.

Some bucks only spray under a given circumstance. ie... my polish Benito will only spray IF I haven't petted him in three days and then give him fresh greens. That combination will cause him to spray and he is VERY accurate. My meat buck will spray for a week before he sheds. Turns himself yellow and then stops... I wait for the shed to get hard (well into it)...give him a good clipping to get rid of the matted areas (due to him spraying so his coat is all ick).. two weeks later he's white and pretty looking again.
Other bucks stop.

Had a young buck here who went through the terrible young adult stage. Settled for me with NO spraying for three months. Sold him and he turned into a complete spray monster in his new place and wouldn't stop. He was sold again for the reason. Silly lad.

So give him his three weeks, breed him to a gal, and see what happens.

If he doesn't stop... well...then you have decisions to make. is he worth keeping despite the spray thing or would you rather not deal with it. Only you can decide. :)

Thank you. Verrrrry helpful. I have 4 bucks and only this twit that sprays like a firehose. Don't know how much more I will tolerate even though I think he's wonderful.

Oh and he's already done his turn with the does a month ago. His girl is due this weekend. So he'd better smarten up or else :twisted:

Latest posts

Back