Split penis

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindseysWoolies

Reaction score
What do you do when split penis shows up in your babies? Do you cull the entire litter, just the affected rabbits, do you cull the sire or dam or do you do a few test breedings to see whose fault it is? How old is the baby before you are certain it is a split penis and not a girl? This has shown up in one of my angora babies and I am pretty sad...:(
7851845878_5c61bd64f8.jpg
<br /><br />__________ Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:35 pm __________<br /><br />
7851845088_17db974ebd_z.jpg

When I first found a SP, it was obvious! My boys don't show a willy until 3-4mo, before then, I can never get it to come out.
But, that buck went to FC, I don't keep babies with it.

I think this is the thread that CnB means:
topic6768.html

At the bottom of the page of any thread, there is a Similar Topics list. It works by keywords, so sometimes it is helpful and sometimes not. If you scroll down you will find another thread referencing split penis.

I wasn't referring to any threads. It was Sky that mentioned other threads..

that looks like a girl, not a split penis. at 6 mos, there should be some testicles. now if there are testicles, and the genitals look like that, there is a problem. cull the buck, any does in the litter, and possibly the dam.

It looks like a doe to me too, but there appears to be some space between the hoo-hoo and the anus. Can you get another pic showing both orifices? CnB may be right that you are pushing too hard, which is distorting the true amount of flesh between the two.

here is another photo, Peach looked at him/her and so did another very well respected breeder and both thought something was "off" I thought it was a doe from the beginning, at least that's what I was hoping. :/
The photo made it look redder than it is.
7861373106_cb71148fb9_z.jpg

The cream on the right is the baby in question, the one on the left is a chocolate chestnut doe.
7861372882_e0421fe65b_z.jpg

The space between the orifices and the fact that the genitalia seems to "pop up" makes me think it is a buck. How bizarre- the elongated slit makes it look like it is a doe. :?

I am definitely holding onto this litter till they are at least 12 or 14 weeks just to see what this really is...:/

And you might need longer, depending on the growth rate of your babies. Since my bucks don't get their stuff till at least 18 weeks, I have to keep any ambiguous ones till them. I had a very suspect guy, but at 17 weeks the hole closed properly and he's a normal boy. I find that if I can't tell what they are are at 6 weeks, it's going to be a while until I can, they are iffy till around that time.

Latest posts

Back