Split Lip Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbun

Reaction score
Does anybody have an idea about the general accepted width of the area above the top incisors and below the nose?

E.g. image 1 below has a wide split lip area that is the same width as the top incisors, but image 2 the split lip is much narrower than the incisors.

Why is this different on different bunnies? I have heard from one animal vet that a wide split lip indicates a possible genetic disorder or at very least it is unusual/abnormal, but I do not trust them all that much...

Any ideas anybody??

lip1.jpg
lip2.jpg

Split lip in humans can be hereditary or the mother was malnourished during the pregnancy (only rice diet would do that for instance). And since malnutrition can cause plenty of issues both temporary and permanent (duration, age when malnourished al factors in that), it can be either. I wouldn't breed such an animal though if possible, there may be other problems and a different nutritional need can impact offspring.

I think you are talking about cleft lip in humans which is a very unfortunate birth defect. However, I'm asking about the split lip (harelip/cleft lip?) of a rabbit which every rabbit has. It's not a birth defect.

The question I was asking is why is the cleft lip wider on some rabbits opposed to others as in the two images above. In the first image you can see a much wider opening reveling more gum, but the second image the rabbit has a much smaller opening.

Also, what function does the cleft lip actually have on a rabbit?? Does anybody know why a rabbit naturally has this??? I know the old tale that the rabbit fell from a willow tree and it's mouth landed on a stone which split it in half and it's been like it ever since, but that is just a taleo_O...

Any ideas??

I think it's just for more mouth mobility for grabbing and eating plants, especially prickly ones. Variable width is most likely just due to genetics. It looks like the rabbit in the top photo has narrower teeth which I'd be more concerned about if it's not a very young rabbit.

Back