Sore hocks keep getting worse...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shicat

Reaction score
I have a rabbit with sores on his hocks that keep getting worse.

On 5/10 I noticed a small sore on his front paw between his middle toes. When I pulled him out to look at it, I noticed that he had more sores on his back feet. The sores on his back feet were both about the size of a pea. All the sores were pink and crusty. One of the ones on the back had a small scab. I put A&D ointment on the sores.

The next day, the sore on his front paw was noticeably better so I left it be. The sores on his back feet were not better. When I went to treat them, I noticed another sore a little smaller than a pea further forward and on the side of one of his feet. I smeared them again and waited to see if there was any improvement.

As of today, the front paw is almost all better, the sore on the side of the foot is a tiny bit bigger than it was, and the sores on the bottoms of his feet are huge. They're almost an inch long. They're still crusty. The one with the small scab has a bigger scab and a yellow spot. I put more A&D ointment on them, added a layer of gauze pads and wrapped his feet with vet wrap. It took him all of 20 minutes to get his feet naked and started cleaning his feet.

I've had him for 3 weeks. He hasn't been acting any differently with the sores than when he didn't have any. He hasn't been babying his feet at all. He hasn't been hanging out on his tile. I'm a bit confused about how I can get him to baby his feet and help them heal.

I haven't had this issue with the other 2 rabbits I got at the same time. They are all in Bass wire cages with ceramic tiles to rest on. The only difference between his cage and the others is that the does are in 36"x30"x18" cages with a hardware cloth shelf and he is in a 30"x30"x18" cage with no shelf. I've cleaned their cages at least once a week.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to help him heal?

Back